Good all-solid acoustic at ~£500-£1000- Furch? Dowina? Something else?

What's Hot

Comments

• ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    Dave_Mc said:
    BigPaulie said:
    DavidR said:
    Info only.

The FG5 is probably born in China unfinished and then sent to Yamaha's factory in Hamamatsu, Japan to be finished off. That's why
    1. It looks very like the FG3 - they're identical at birth! 
    2. Is expensive in comparison with other FGs.
    3. Is such a good guitar.

You won't find this on Yamaha's website. Like many business models in the guitar world it's complicated!

My FG5, which I bought after trying out a damaged one in Yamaha's London store, shipped directly from Hamamatsu and took about 3 months to arrive. It's very nice.
    Is that definitely the case? Everything I can see about the FG5 says "made in Japan".
    Yeah I'd be interested to know either way, too.
    Shadow said:
    Another vote for Dowina. I have a Chardonnay GA (Sol) in the UK) which has a cedar top and walnut back and sides. It's a very sweet sounding instrument and very nice to play. Ironically I'm thinking of letting it go due to longstanding shoulder issues which means long sessions cause discomfort. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it though.

I actually got mine from Moloney Music in Galway. I don't know how far that is from you but they usually have a few Dowinas in stock.
    Thanks. How does the walnut sound with the cedar? I think I've tried walnut with spruce when I was trying Furches- I don't really remember much about it, lol. IIRC I expected to like it better than the cedar/mahogany Furch as it was more expensive, but I've got a feeling I actually preferred the cedar/mahogany one! But obviously walnut would sound a bit different with cedar... EDIT: Also walnut looks killer  =)

It's an absolute pain to get to Galway from here, lol. I haven't been in years, so the roads may be a little better, but I remember going on holiday a couple of times years ago and I seem to remember the journey taking the guts of a day, and being exhausted at the end of it! I wouldn't be averse to buying from them online, though, how did your purchase with them go?
    I love the look of walnut! It has lovely clear highs without being shrill, and a nice warm low end.

The purchase was seamless. Kieran was extremely helpful, recommending one of the two Chardonnays he had in stock based on my playing requirements (fingerstyle). He also sent photos of the two guitars. The purchase was post Brexit but there were no issues. I paid the import duties to the carrier and the guitar was delivered pretty quickly. It surprised me to find that even with customs charges it was cheaper than if I'd bought it in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited May 2022
    Shadow said:
    I love the look of walnut! It has lovely clear highs without being shrill, and a nice warm low end.

The purchase was seamless. Kieran was extremely helpful, recommending one of the two Chardonnays he had in stock based on my playing requirements (fingerstyle). He also sent photos of the two guitars. The purchase was post Brexit but there were no issues. I paid the import duties to the carrier and the guitar was delivered pretty quickly. It surprised me to find that even with customs charges it was cheaper than if I'd bought it in the UK.
    Brilliant, thanks for that. As I said, I've only got a vague recollection of how walnut sounds- from what little I can remember, I think it was maybe a bit like rosewood (though not identical, obviously). Plus that would have been coloured quite a lot by the spruce top as well! From what you said that sounds pretty nice- it may well be better paired with cedar, the cedar might warm it up a little.

That's good to know that the purchase went well. I think being in NI it should be even easier, from what it says on his website, at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5428
    Walnut is a very neutral timber, it doesn't have a coloured sound like mahogany, maple, Blackwood, or especially rosewood. This is its great strength as a tonewood, it makes your playing the centre of the sound, as opposed to the sound of the guitar.

I don't have a walnut guitar but I do have one in Queensland Maple (which is unrelated in a botanical sense but similar in a  tonal sense) and it has a cedar top. I really like the combination. It is mellow without being dull, crisp without being shouty. It is especially suited to fingerpicking and plucked chords but responds well to strumming too.
    edited May 2022
    Tannin said:
    Walnut is a very neutral timber, it doesn't have a coloured sound like mahogany, maple, Blackwood, or especially rosewood. This is its great strength as a tonewood, it makes your playing the centre of the sound, as opposed to the sound of the guitar.

I don't have a walnut guitar but I do have one in Queensland Maple (which is unrelated in a botanical sense but similar in a  tonal sense) and it has a cedar top. I really like the combination. It is mellow without being dull, crisp without being shouty. It is especially suited to fingerpicking and plucked chords but responds well to strumming too.
    Thanks I guess my feeling with the more coloured woods was when it was right, it was awesome, but when it wasn't, it could be too much, if that makes sense. Then again I guess you could have the opposite problem with an uncoloured one- when it's not right it might be too bland?

I think the Maton I tried was QM back and sides. It reminded me (overall, not just the QM b+s) a bit of a Gibson, a similar feel IIRC.

Also I'm not sure of the wisdom of making my playing the centre of the sound. LOL.  s   I think that does (what you said about the "uncoloured" thing) sort of tie in with what I remember of Walnut- being a bit, well, crap, I wonder if a more coloured wood might be a little more forgiving and flattering...
    ^ Yep. Awesome and too much. My Les Paul was like that, back in the day. The P90s did a fantastic ballsy warm distorted sound for (e.g.) Honkey Tonk Woman, but didn't really do anything much else. (At least not in my hands with my rig.) In the end I wanted something more versatile so I sold it.

In reality, you can play anything on anything and we all tend to over-think these things. Just the same, some guitars you pick them up and they say "Hi! Let's go direct to bluegrass!" or "Just drop that E to D for me and we will go seriously Celtic". And other guitars, you pick them up and they say "Hi, where do you want to go today?"

My rosewood guitar, for example, it always wants to go to James Taylor in the 1970s and quite often I just let it take me there. (Not actual James Taylor songs, I only do originals, but stuff in that general vein.) But I can always say "No, we are going to play a jazz-blues* today" and it actually does a very good job of that. Just the same, if I've already decided on something jazzy and bluesy, it's not normally the guitar I'll reach for first. 

I think it comes down to quality. Thinking about uncoloured guitars, if they are good enough they will play whatever you want just fine and never be bland. That hand-made $6500 Tommy Emmanuel Personal I played in Melbourne the other week was the ultimate "bland" guitar - in one sense it had no obvious "personality" but every different thing I played on it sounded great. My cedar-QM dreadnought, in a more modest way, is similar.

And we have all played many a cheaper guitar that was bland on first impression and stayed remorselessly bland no matter what you did on it. (Most of the better cookie-cutter laminate guitars I have played fit this description.)

I've never played a Dowina, or even seen one in real life, but I've heard enough good things about them from people I respect to be reasonably confident that they are the real deal. Hell, I'd be happy enough to take a punt on buying one sight unseen if I was in the market. (Mind you, I very much prefer to get hands-on with the actual guitar before I buy it. Mail-ordering acoustics is for thrill-seekers.)

* "A jazz-blues": in my not-so-skillful hands, that is a blues with a 9th chord somewhere in it. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022
    ^ @Tannin ;Jazz is anything more harmonically complex than a major or minor chord when I play! 

But yeah agreed with what you're saying there, I know what you mean exactly (about the coloured and uncoloured guitars, I mean).

I also know what you mean about ordering online. I guess you could say that ordering any guitar or bass online is a little risky... but I get the feeling (I could be wrong) that it's riskier with acoustics. If the action is too high, apart from the truss rod, there's not a lot you can do unless you're willing to do serious (well, serious in my book, anyway) work. With electrics or basses there's a bit more you can do without having to be a luthier.

That being said, if I only buy stuff I can easily try... that does massively limit me in terms of what's available. Which is also annoying.

(What you said about Dowina is interesting, too- that's kind of what I'm hoping, too. That's the kind of reputation which Furch had, too, and it was (at least in my opinion) correct. Just the Furches are about £200 more than the Dowinas... and also I sort of wonder what the Dowinas are like, lol.)
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    I'm seriously tempted by a Dowina myself.

The fact that with the Ceres line you can get a European made, all solid instrument with rosewood b&s, tap tuned dolomite spruce top and ebony FB & bridge for under £1k astounds me.

However, I haven't seen many for sale in the used market and would be concerned about depreciation...
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I picked up a 2nd hand faith mars all mahogany as my first all solid acoustic, plays amazingly well. Bought it cause it was 400 quid and I was doing a part trade of gear iwas trading away, didn't want to miss out on a decent deal.
    I do fancy a spruce top but I'll blame listening to Billy strings on that one 

Picked up a Harley Benton baritone acoustic at the same time, can't fault it, neck is great, satin finish,I really wonder what the difference between the likes of alverez or guild baritones would be like.

I'm in Dublin and I feel quite a few of the old reliable shops are gone, so getting a wide selection to play is hard, although I found music maker really helpful.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited May 2022
    BigPaulie said:
    DavidR said:
    Info only.

The FG5 is probably born in China unfinished and then sent to Yamaha's factory in Hamamatsu, Japan to be finished off. That's why

You won't find this on Yamaha's website. Like many business models in the guitar world it's complicated!

My FG5, which I bought after trying out a damaged one in Yamaha's London store, shipped directly from Hamamatsu and took about 3 months to arrive. It's very nice.
    Is that definitely the case? Everything I can see about the FG5 says "made in Japan".
    Yes I think it is. Compare the FG3, which Yamaha definitely says is made in Japan, and the FG5. They're identical in their external appearance. Only the finishing off and set up are different.
    I hesitate to mention another forum, but there has been discussion about this issue on AGF too. I don't personally think it matters. If Yamaha want to do some of the preparatory construction in China so what? The FG5 is still a highly thought of, excellent quality, excellent  value instrument. Adore mine.
    edited May 2022
    BigPaulie said:
    I'm seriously tempted by a Dowina myself.

The fact that with the Ceres line you can get a European made, all solid instrument with rosewood b&s, tap tuned dolomite spruce top and ebony FB & bridge for under £1k astounds me.

However, I haven't seen many for sale in the used market and would be concerned about depreciation...
    Have you ever tried Dolomite? I don't think I have. I'd be tempted by Dolomite since not many other makers offer it, but maybe there's a reason for that!

I'm also not sure about rosewood... I'm not sure if I want it or not. My sister's is rosewood and it sounds awesome, but it was really the only rosewood guitar we tried that we really liked. That being said I found a clip on Youtube comparing the satin/solid (vintage series?) Dowinas, and I think the rosewood one sounded best, lol. I think they were all cedar tops, though (my sister's is Englemann spruce IIRC).

That's true about depreciation. I never get round to selling anything, but at the same time you never know. Rarely being available used might be a good sign, but it also might just be a sign they're not that common. I do see that quite a lot of the shops who used to stock them here in the UK no longer seem to, but at the same time that doesn't always mean very much- a lot of people just want the big names.
    Zonular said:
    I picked up a 2nd hand faith mars all mahogany as my first all solid acoustic, plays amazingly well. Bought it cause it was 400 quid and I was doing a part trade of gear iwas trading away, didn't want to miss out on a decent deal.
    I do fancy a spruce top but I'll blame listening to Billy strings on that one 

Picked up a Harley Benton baritone acoustic at the same time, can't fault it, neck is great, satin finish,I really wonder what the difference between the likes of alverez or guild baritones would be like.

I'm in Dublin and I feel quite a few of the old reliable shops are gone, so getting a wide selection to play is hard, although I found music maker really helpful.
    Thanks, that's very useful info. How does the HB compare to the Faith? That would be pretty helpful for me considering I'm pretty used to what Faiths are like (since my sister has one, and when she was buying, we tried a bunch of them).

It's the same up here, a lot of the shops have shut.  It sucks, but at the same time they didn't always have all that much I wanted to try or were that welcoming when you did want to try them (not all, some are great, but some less so).
    DavidR said:
    BigPaulie said:
    DavidR said:
    Info only.

Yes I think it is. Compare the FG3, which Yamaha definitely says is made in Japan, and the FG5. They're identical in their external appearance. Only the finishing off and set up are different.
    I have no idea either way, but it's not impossible- they wouldn't be the first manufacturer who did that. I know Edwards did, for example. I think STR do something similar with one of their basses- it is made in Japan all right (far as I know) but all the wood etc. comes from their Philippine (?) factory.
    DavidR said:
    I hesitate to mention another forum, but there has been discussion about this issue on AGF too. I don't personally think it matters. If Yamaha want to do some of the preparatory construction in China so what? The FG5 is still a highly thought of, excellent quality, excellent  value instrument. Adore mine.
    I'm not sure. It sort of doesn't and it sort of does. If it's a good enough guitar, to a certain extent it might not matter. But if you're buying it because you think it's very good value being MIJ, or think that MIJ signifies quality (which you may be doing if you have to buy blind, like me), I think you'd be kind of miffed if you found out that it was only "technically" made in Japan. Also just in principle, I'd rather be told everything up front, and then I can make my own mind up.

That kind of happened me with my Edwards- when I bought it, I thought it was completely MIJ. I only found out later it wasn't. I have to admit I was a little bit annoyed- I could have bought a genuinely MIJ Tokai for a similar price, and a lot less bother. It's still a nice guitar- but it does leave a bit of a taste in your mouth.
    Yeh, I get that Dave-Mc and I agree totally. I suppose the ultimate thing would be to ask Yamaha. What I can say with certainty though is that the FG5 certainly 'comes from' Hamamatsu (i.e.Japan). I definitely remember my FG5 turning up with Hamamatsu packaging in 2020 - because it was so exciting and I'd waited about 4 months for it!

Apologies for slight thread hijack.
    DavidR said:
    Yeh, I get that Dave-Mc and I agree totally. I suppose the ultimate thing would be to ask Yamaha. What I can say with certainty though is that the FG5 certainly 'comes from' Hamamatsu (i.e.Japan). I definitely remember my FG5 turning up with Hamamatsu packaging in 2020 - because it was so exciting and I'd waited about 4 months for it!

Apologies for slight thread hijack.
    Yeah that's a good idea. If I get to the point where I'm seriously considering it (I'm still at the "no idea what I want" stage!), I'll get in contact with them, just to see.

No worries about the hijack- first of all I don't think it even was a hijack, it was a guitar worth considering around my budget, and second of all it's very useful to know, as I hadn't really realised that a Japanese (if it is actually Japanese, lol) Yamaha would be within budget.
    Sorry for the late response, the faith is setup with in an inch of its life, great playing neck, lovely low action. It's my first solid body and I would go as far to say it the best acoustic I've ever had. Before buying this, I went to music maker tried their selection of Taylor's and the like. I think the faith is every bit as good. Definatly as good as some of the Martin's at the 1000 range.
    The Hb I'm pretty shocked by tbh, satin neck is great, it's a baritone so it probably doesn't sound as full as the faith, but thats the nature of the beast. It's a great guitar
    edited May 2022
    Zonular said:
    Sorry for the late response, the faith is setup with in an inch of its life, great playing neck, lovely low action. It's my first solid body and I would go as far to say it the best acoustic I've ever had. Before buying this, I went to music maker tried their selection of Taylor's and the like. I think the faith is every bit as good. Definatly as good as some of the Martin's at the 1000 range.
    The Hb I'm pretty shocked by tbh, satin neck is great, it's a baritone so it probably doesn't sound as full as the faith, but thats the nature of the beast. It's a great guitar
    Thanks No worries about the late response, I haven't got round to doing anything yet!

That's kind of the feeling (about the Faith) my sister and I had too when we were trying guitars- we tried a bunch of Taylors, Gibsons, Martins etc. first, and really liked the Taylors and (some of) the Gibsons, but they were serious money. Then we eventually got round to trying a Faith- I had been a bit sceptical because a lot of the time the cheaper stuff is kind of hyped, but I was wrong. Once we had tried them (especially the couple of really good examples), the Taylors etc. felt a bit expensive for what they were (it didn't help that because of my indecisive faffing about for a couple of years the prices of the expensive stuff had gone up about £300-£400!). We liked the Faith she ended up buying as much as anything we had tried (and more than most, including the expensive ones), and when you factored in the price, it was a no-brainer, really. 

Now, I'd be the first to admit I know nothing about acoustics, and I'm much more an electric player, so there may well be nuances I was missing. And maybe 5 years down the line the dearer ones would develop and be better. But based on trying them in the store (which is all you have, really), yeah, the Faiths were really good. They also seemed to suit us as well, which is usually a good sign.

That's very useful to know as well about the HB- nice to know it's not totally outclassed by the Faith. I'm always a bit sceptical whenever someone says a cheaper guitar is "just as good" as a more expensive one- at least whenever they only own the cheaper one. It's different whenever the person owns the more expensive one, too.

EDIT: Yeah her Faith was set up really nicely, too. It could just be that that one was really well set-up, but when she came across one like that, it seemed a bit silly not to take it!
    I picked up a all mahogany faith from a.lovely man in Dundalk for 400 quid, I may have mentioned but I moved from electric stuff to acoustic because of tinnitus, I bought the Harley Benton baritone for 190 from reverb and a little parlour recording king with the gold foil for like 80 quid. I got lucky and I realise it's a waiting game.

Thankfully this lot don't set off my ears!!
    Zonular said:
    I picked up a all mahogany faith from a.lovely man in Dundalk for 400 quid, I may have mentioned but I moved from electric stuff to acoustic because of tinnitus, I bought the Harley Benton baritone for 190 from reverb and a little parlour recording king with the gold foil for like 80 quid. I got lucky and I realise it's a waiting game.

Thankfully this lot don't set off my ears!!
    Sorry to hear about the tinnitus :( I've got very minor tinnitus, it's not too bad, but as I said, it's very minor. I could see it being awful if it were much worse.

How's the Recording King? They have some quite nice models, too, there's an all-solid parlour which looks quite nice (though I think I prefer the nut width and scale length of the HB).
    The recording king, is possible the one I pick up the most ..... Second being the Hb. The faith is my good guitar so it gets kept in the case. If you have a chance to buy a recording king and like the roots / blues thing, buy one. Great fun, are they high brow and the best made guitars ... Maybe not but they do a thing no of my others do. 

I keep the baritone in dadgad (or whatever the tuning actually is) for ambient trad noodles, the missus was impressed with the sound of it
    @Zonular Brilliant, thanks for the additional information.

My big problem is I just want all of them!  =)
    Dave_Mc said:

I've got very minor tinnitus.

Mrs Tannin has major tinitus, but mine is mostly phrygian.. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom