Fret levelling tools - Where to source?

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
I want to start with a few setup tweaks to my guitars - theres a few with the odd high fret that needs attention. Im pretty skilled at metal work so am happy to start fret work tweaks.

I discussed with the Crimson guitars team at the Guitar Show and saw their tools (listed below). They seem good quality and I believe in buying good stuff, but are there any cheaper solutions to any of these at similar quality?

Crowning File £20

Levelling beam - 16" £33

Notched Straight Edge £40

Fret End Beveling File £40

Fret Levelling File £36

Adhesive backed sandpaper 180 / 220/ 320 / 400  £8.50 each 25mm x 5m

Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    For a levelling beam you could use a short spirit level, with self adhesive abrasive paper

Ive seen notched strait edges self made from a metal rule
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited May 2022
    A lot of those can be made yourself, or you might not even use.  Time vs money  here, you

Fwiw, a triangle file with edges ground off is not really a crowning file.  Yes,  It can be used to crown the frets, but there are specific crowning files that do that task better.   

Great for dressing the ends though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I like the crimson stuff. If you want to save money then exclude the notched straight edge and the fret end bevelling file (you can cover this with the other files). Then add the fret rocker (1st step before you level is to fix individual high frets) and one fret polishing rubber. 
    yeah, you shouldn't need the fret bevel file at all if this is just for set-ups.  Comes in very useful when installing frets
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    You can get by with:
    1. Fret rocker. Mine is an impulse purchase from Ben on the Crimson stand at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago.
    2. Levelling beam. You can make your own with a section of extruded aluminium, double sided tape, and good quality abrasive paper.
    3. A crowning file. Mine is from Chris Alsop. With it came a fretboard protector and fine grade abrasives for polishing. https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/guitar-tools

In addition I use a long ruler to check that I’ve adjusted the truss rod to level the neck, and a mill file to run along the fret ends and deal with any fret sprout.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    There are many similar notched straightedges for half the price of the Crimson one.  I use mine regularly along with a decent fret rocker.

Regarding fret levelling beams, somebody post here recently about Metals4U.co.uk who can cut aluminium box section to custom length for a really good price.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I spent a lot less than that!

off eBay:
    cheap fret rocker,
    cheap fret crowner, 
    some of those (excellent) flexible sanding squares

I stick sanding paper to spirit level for leveller.
    Made my own notched bar to check neck is straight.

I'm not knocking people spending a lot on super tools, I would love them all but my life is on a budget. Everything has worked fine, made 6 instruments so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Roland said:
    You can get by with:
    1. Fret rocker. Mine is an impulse purchase from Ben on the Crimson stand at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago.
    2. Levelling beam. You can make your own with a section of extruded aluminium, double sided tape, and good quality abrasive paper.
    3. A crowning file. Mine is from Chris Alsop. With it came a fretboard protector and fine grade abrasives for polishing. https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/guitar-tools

In addition I use a long ruler to check that I’ve adjusted the truss rod to level the neck, and a mill file to run along the fret ends and deal with any fret sprout.
    ...and a magic marker. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks all - you’ve given me some good ideas and links for less/alternative kit.

Going to see if a mate can level the bottom of an old metal spirit level to do the levelling beam.

I have a 24” straight metal ruler so will use that to check neck is straight.

I see there are hollow radiused diamond crowning files available - are they easier to use than a triangle type?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Thanks all - you’ve given me some good ideas and links for less/alternative kit.

Going to see if a mate can level the bottom of an old metal spirit level to do the levelling beam.

I have a 24” straight metal ruler so will use that to check neck is straight.

I see there are hollow radiused diamond crowning files available - are they easier to use than a triangle type?

Yes, but it took my ages to find a crowning file I actually liked.

I settled on the offset handle diamond file, same as the link I posted above.  I actually also use it to dress the ends

The one crimson sell as a crowning file is arguably better for learning how to crown, but not best for speed and repeatability

I also had a normal hollow crowning file , gurian file set and half round file, and didn't like any of them.  Just got chatter

More recently I had a cheap diamond file from China which had no shape to the hollow curve at all 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    I know he's not a popular guy round here (for good reason), but I use this fret leveller tool, does a great job: https://www.wudtone.com/product/wudtone-utfl-under-tension-fret-leveller/

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    For levelling, I continue to use the method I was shown at Bailey guitars - a piece of thick float glass with abrasive spray-glued to it. Much cheaper than a levelling beam, and the abrasive much cheaper than the adhesive-backed stuff and you can use whichever grit you fancy.

A fret-rocker is a must

Files are a personal thing, I have the cranked-neck 3-in-one file with a blobby handle and a straight one for crowning, and a ground-edge triangular file for the rounding the fret ends (admittedly from Stewmac, but back when the exchange was good!)

I dont use a notched edge, and whilst handy I have a niggling suspicion they are a solution looking for a problem,

Fret rubbers/micromesh for polishing afterwards (Dremel polishing mop and Autosol is fantastic if you have one)

Thats it really.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks for all the advice - I purchased the Chris Alsop diamond files and flattened off the bottom of a 16" spirit level on a metal bed plate at work (then stuck in P400 wet and dry using double sided tape).

Have given a guitar with a few cowboy chord divots a light skimming to get methodology sorted, and now in the middle of one that needed a good level (two high frets) in middle of fretboard.

Made a make shift levelling gauge with three guitar ballends (spaces ruler 3mm off fretboard) and a straight metal ruler - works ok!

So thank for all the advice - Im happy with what Ive got just need to source a quality set of emery papers (600 - 1000 grit).

What brands/suppliers are good for wet and dry papers?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 714
    I use these sandpapers - the multi pack is handy and decently priced
    Fandeli, 36002, 120 to 2500... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08F8HKJK1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share