Comments

• My favourite album of all time.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    The "sloppiness" and sprawl are what make it good. 

The bonus tracks on the 2010 boxed set and re-issue are interesting but it is difficult to imagine where they could have fitted into the running order of the original double LP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    Not a patch on Beggars Banquet or Let it bleed.

I enjoy it but it’s a lot of indulgent nonsense on the whole IMO.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    The run from Tumbling Dice through to Happy is about as good as rock gets imo. I love their other albums but this one has the most consistent brilliance imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    One of my favourite albums for sure.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5393
    rlw said:
    Not a patch on Beggars Banquet or Let it bleed.

Just so. There is some great playing hidden there but the production is awful and straining to hear things through that swirling, turbid mix just becomes unpleasant. If we restrict ourselves to the golden years when they were at or near their best, Exile was one of the worst Stones albums. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    I hated it when I first bought the 40th anniversary reissue. I’ve since seen the error of my ways and Tumbling Dice is probably my favourite Stones song.

I agree BB and Let It Bleed are better albums but there’s no doubting Exile’s importance 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have to respectfully disagree about the production, I love the feel of the whole band gathered round a single mic in a damp basement way after bedtime, a little sleepy, coming down from a high and playing on fumes.

BB and LiB are phenomenal but Exile has something rarely captured.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Always loved this album .. Richards (or somebody else) called it the first grunge album.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited May 2022
    I used to love this album when I started getting into the Stones in the early '80s (right at the fag end of the creative part of their career). At the time it seemed like a piece of fairly old Stones history but it is weird to think that the album was only about 10 years old then. It's obviously still a great album but I do think it is eclipsed by Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers (imagine if those two had been one double-album o).

I remember being fascinated by the artwork and photography. It was only later when I became interested in photography that I realised how great an artist Robert Frank was.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    It was one of the first CD's I bought. I was a skint student and I think it was like £11.99 (so equivalent to about 17 pints in the SU bar) I wouldn't be getting another CD for at least another month so despite the fact I thought it was shit, I kept on playing it.

One sunny afternoon it was playing in the background while we were having a few beers and all of a sudden it clicked. Its just  perfect...the cover, the production, the attitude, the songs. Amazing album. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Lodious said:
    One sunny afternoon it was playing in the background while we were having a few beers and all of a sudden it clicked. Its just  perfect...the cover, the production, the attitude, the songs. Amazing album. 
    How did you feel about it after you sobered up? :)