Incredible Story: Rare Gibson LP Guitar Found in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11556
    Ossyrocks said:
    He and his manager Roy Weisman worked out very early on that to make any money at all they needed to cut out ALL the middle men/corporations/record companies and do everything themselves on their own terms. They do everything in house. They hire the venues, put their own rig and crew in, record, produce and distribute their own music. No one else gets a cut.

He’s now pulling a number of other musicians up the ladder with him and giving them the benefit of the groundwork he has laid. Joanne Shaw Taylor being one of them. 

I like him, he’s one of the good guys.
    ^^This.  I'm not a fan of his music, but I admire his ability and his drive.  Good luck to him - he's certainly living the dream as far as most of us are concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    edited May 2022
    Music aside, the neverending super tacky merch on his website is the thing that I think doesn't look good. It's just completely unnecessary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited May 2022
    Music aside, the neverending super tacky merch on his website is the thing that I think doesn't look good. It's just completely unnecessary. 
    Probably brings in enough beer money every (couple of) year to buy another Burst though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3311
    elstoof said:
    How does Jobo afford all this stuff? He’s not exactly Elvis level of popularity is he
    He seems to be touring non stop. He just played the Albert Hall multiple nights, and while I don't really listen to him much, and if you believe the Internet he's not really that popular but actually, he is. 
    He co owns them with one or more associates. He is a very succesful and hard working guy though, and has been for 25 years. Hes an arena act even in the UK remember. 
    Probably brings in enough beer money every (couple of) year to buy another Burst though.
    Maybe. All belongs in a Blackpool seaside shop though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Nice guitar. Boring that YET another went to JoBo though. Can't he let other people enjoy it?

Nice guitar. Boring that YET another went to JoBo though. Can't he let other people enjoy it?

Yea because Dave from down the road is going to buy it and play it down the Dog & Duck week in week out. ;)

The truth is that only the rich, and collectors who hide it away are going to buy it. It's these collectors who drive up the prices of guitars both vintage and used. At least JoBo will play these guitars in public all the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Is it still a 'burst' given that it seems to have faded to an entirely uniform dirty yellow?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    Stuckfast said:
    Is it still a 'burst' given that it seems to have faded to an entirely uniform dirty yellow?
    The disappearing red makes a burst.   The term Unburst is often used for the really faded ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Yea because Dave from down the road is going to buy it and play it down the Dog & Duck week in week out. ;)

The truth is that only the rich, and collectors who hide it away are going to buy it. It's these collectors who drive up the prices of guitars both vintage and used. At least JoBo will play these guitars in public all the time. 
    Just meant another player. Perhaps someone who is less annoying than JoBo. 

That's probably a very small pool of people, especially considering it's condition.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2988

But at least he can afford to have it restored properly by people with experience restoring bursts, and not have a hash job done of it on the cheap
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22727
    rocktron said:
    I saw a link to that video on YouTube last night but never get round to watching it (I ended up watching a long clip of people experimenting with different springs in a Jazzmaster trem... although I have never owned or even played a Jazzmaster).

Anyway, I'll try to watch it later, especially now that I know it's got everybody all hot under the collar about JoBo again.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1120
    Yawn. Another completely unobtainable guitar which has no relevance to 99.99% of players. I'm a Gibson player, but I have zero interest in these mythologised 50s LPs. 

I don't like his music, his constant endorsements irritate me, and his hoover-like acquisition of vintage guitars is a little distasteful, but JoBo does still comes across as a decent guy. I hope he enjoys this latest one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Well given that Mr ATB shifted it on so quick he must have made a hefty profit given that it would be worth 6 figures once restored :D
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Mike says in the video that the seller believed it to be worth around £5k. I suspect there are a lot of dealers who would have simply said, 'I'll give you £5k' and milked the situation for all they could.

Credit to him for letting them know what it was actually worth. And I have little doubt he has made a tidy sum on it - I'm no expert but I think that's how retail works?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2988
    Well given that Mr ATB shifted it on so quick he must have made a hefty profit given that it would be worth 6 figures once restored :D

I thought it sold for 6 figures.  I didn't follow the auction, nor go to the guitar show, but I thought I read in the other thread about the show that it went for 6 figures, can't remember how much the poster said though.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2022
    Yawn. Another completely unobtainable guitar which has no relevance to 99.99% of players. I'm a Gibson player, but I have zero interest in these mythologised 50s LPs. 

Your view of these guitars is your personal opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
    But they are not mythologised.
    Their reputation was created in the early 1960s.
    By musicians urging other musicians to get hold of these guitars. Because they were perfect for the music that was emerging. And they were built by craftsmen.
    There was no internet, no guitar magazines, no "marketing", no hype,  just word of mouth recommendation from player to player.

The reputation is not diminished.
    Why would it be?

There is no reason they can't make these now at the current USA Standard level. I have two Gibson guitars but personally the company direction is just vomit. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited May 2022
    Skipped said:

Your view of these guitars is your personal opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
    But they are not mythologised.
    Their reputation was created in the early 1960s.
    By musicians urging other musicians to get hold of these guitars. Because they were perfect for the music that was emerging. And they were built by craftsmen.
    There was no internet, no guitar magazines, no "marketing", no hype,  just word of mouth recommendation from player to player.

The reputation is undiminished.
    Why would it be?

I think it was more like their reputation was created in the 70's.  When these were in production, they didn't sell many.  So bad they were dropped then the SG came out to replace it to stir sales.

Nobody wanted them when they were new, less than 2000 made.

Objectively speaking.

The turd of the 70's made these look good.  That's the truth.  That's where the myth came about and that myth continued.  The idea that modern guitars cannot be made to the same standard as 60 years ago is an insult to human engineering, progress and intelligence.  That's like we peaked between 58-60.  I do not believe that and anyone who does, need their brain checked.  Essentially that's what they are implying.  We put a man on the moon, we have robots on Mars and remote control them.  We can make guitars better than the 60's.  

The ONLY argument people make is that the wood is better...define better, measure it for me, you can't.  Plus if you do 100 double blind test, put 50 burst vs 50 modern LP, blindfold, played, listen.  I bet my Gibson that you cannot pick out all 50 out of 100 correctly.

They are man-made objects, they can be made again many times over.  They are worth only what someone want to pay for it, i do not dispute that part but I don't think, and there is no reason for that they are better, for that you are saying that somehow, these guitar techniques were lost...despite they keep saying they have all the original machines, wiring machines etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom