What's Hot

Comments

• CFHCFH Frets: 456
    It looks like a biohazard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    CFH said:
    It's way cleaner than I expected from the description. It's like some of you lot have never seen some of the grubby shite on ebay!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    CFH said:
    It's way cleaner than I expected from the description. It's like some of you lot have never seen some of the grubby shite on ebay!
    Protect my eyes!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited May 2022
    £4.60 for a packet of strings in the late 1970s? That was bloody expensive... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited May 2022
    impmann said:
    Yes, that's interesting. It's easy to forget how much more expensive some products were prior to the more globalised manufacturing we've had in the last 20-30 years though a fiver for a set of strings does seem like a lot of money – the same cost as a chart album or five packets of fags around that time. Perhaps the strings were bought more recently and put in the case? The never having seen the light of day since the '70s part of this Gibson story could be bollocks. That said, the price sticker does look like it could have come from the '70s.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without looking through the whole posting again and/or the video's, Mike at ATB has said he made an error about the guitar going into storage in the early 70's - It was far later (90's I now recall) that it was stored
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11525
    impmann said:
    Yes, that's interesting. It's easy to forget how much more expensive some products were prior to the more globalised manufacturing we've had in the last 20-30 years though a fiver for a set of strings does seem like a lot of money – the same cost as a chart album or five packets of fags around that time. Perhaps the strings were bought more recently and put in the case? The never having seen the light of day since the '70s part of this Gibson story could be bollocks. That said, the price sticker does look like it could have come from the '70s.
    It also has '1.15' written in biro on the sleeve just above the sticker.  Intriguing.  I don't remember a set of strings being that expensive (£4.60) back in the '70s I must say
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16635
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without looking through the whole posting again and/or the video's, Mike at ATB has said he made an error about the guitar going into storage in the early 70's - It was far later (90's I now recall) that it was stored
    this.   He is very clear about his error in the second video.   The price of those strings doesn't look too far off for the 90's
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh yes - sorry I forgot about that. Perhaps the bio needs a quick rejig on their website too.

What area code was "777"? It doesn't ring bells (sorry, dreadful pun) with me

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22698
    edited May 2022
    impmann said:
    What area code was "777"? It doesn't ring bells (sorry, dreadful pun) with me
    Would it be 01777 now?  If so, Retford in Nottinghamshire, apparently. 

(That would make it pre-1995, I think)
    It would have been Midland Music in Brum, whose number was 0121 7773188
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22698
    I fucked that theory up, then. :)
    WezV said:
    It would have been Midland Music in Brum, whose number was 0121 7773188
    Cool. :-)

edited May 2022
    From street view it looks like it still had signs for Midland Music in 2008, but the building was for sale
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4404781,-1.8485346,3a,75y,142.01h,87.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9U-getMP9FkTx8YPXIWX_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited June 2022
    Someone posted this in my MLP thread, don't have any more info. Should do a reverse image search really

Edit: either I can't figure it out or the search isn't finding a source for this

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Top wrapped, so it looks like Joe at least had a go on it, before it went back on the block.
    I think he has bought another one since anyway, according to FB.
    Not top wrapped, so maybe it sold again already, or this might be immediately post restoration.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?attachments/285872461_568776011280332_8243148922711898298_n-jpg.18244/

( Link probably won't work, but it is listed in bursts for sale thread )
  • I saw on Joes Instagram he’s taking it to display at a guitar show along with some others from his collection so unlikely being resold. 

I suspect he might get to jump his favourite luthiers queue for a re-fret though :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I saw on Joes Instagram he’s taking it to display at a guitar show along with some others from his collection so unlikely being resold. 

I suspect he might get to jump his favourite luthiers queue for a re-fret though :)
    The photo is from that guitar show
    roberty said:
    I saw on Joes Instagram he’s taking it to display at a guitar show along with some others from his collection so unlikely being resold. 

The photo is from that guitar show
    Everything is for sale at a guitar show, JB probably has his eye on the more recent one that resurfaced in France, almost mint.