Is she or isn't she

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 959
edited May 2022 in Technique
Just came across this on youtube. 

Not sure why but something makes me think that she isn't playing this and is miming. 

Sometime she seems in time with the playing but sometimes seems a fraction out. Could be a video rendering lag, or maybe I'm just looking for fault because I'm jealous that she can play better than me

What do you think?

Edit - maybe i was a bit hasty. She has a lot of material on yourtube so it's probably my jealousy lol 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgV8DQq7lM
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    She may have recorded the audio first then mimed for the video but she can clearly play it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    It's really easy for audio and video to go out of sync.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    You're both right and I offer her my unreserved apology for doubting :)

It's not really a style of music that I want to play but I'd love to have her technical ability.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Yeah, that is just a sync issue I think.
    She is a good player.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Syncing can be tricky  although it’s not too bad to line up the waveforms. Final cut even synchs automatically . Perhaps though other things could affect it, I. Sure frame rate could affect it.

also like someone else said  some people play and record the track, then play along to the good recording 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I’m more concerned with the awful way the video is framed in portrait mode . I suppose it saves her having to re do it for insta- Tok 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    Portrait mode. Just say no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    It's really easy for audio and video to go out of sync.
    happens to me in real life all the t      ime 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1831
    It's probably very skilled but I really dislike this type of music and how it's done.I have no real desire to ever play like that either. Not that I ever will be able to mind you.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    Amen to that Brother @guitarjack66 ;

I listened to enough of it to know that I am utterly uninterested. I gave it a chance, really I did. Nearly  two seconds worth. 

Anyway, it's in that moronic vertical video format, so doubly obnoxious.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    The thing is...most YouTubers tend to record the audio ahead of time to get the perfect take (sometimes edited) and then do a video-friendly version later, purely because trying to get the visuals and the audio right at the same time is very hard without a lot of experience.

If you think that's cheating...it's the same reason that music videos have never been live.

In this case, I think it's exactly what's happened - her fingers are moving in and out of sync with the audio.
    <space for hire>
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2093
    It’s pretty crap/cliche regardless. 
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited June 2022
    The thing is...most YouTubers tend to record the audio ahead of time to get the perfect take (sometimes edited) and then do a video-friendly version later, purely because trying to get the visuals and the audio right at the same time is very hard without a lot of experience.

If you think that's cheating...it's the same reason that music videos have never been live.

In this case, I think it's exactly what's happened - her fingers are moving in and out of sync with the audio.
    This is a pretty fascinating phenomenon to me - how normalised and widespread this is. To me the larger part of the appeal of watching someone playing an instrument is to experience the performance.

My guess is this is largely the result of the public at large being ignorant of production practices involved in studio recordings regarding instruments, at least it certainly was for me, being ignorant of the fact that even a single guitar solo can be edited from multiple short takes yet still make a natural sounding recording, that was a bizarre thing for me to get my head around when I first learned of it.

Makes sense to do it with studio recordings, whatever creates the best musical experience makes sense, but then using that same technique with the audio but using a video style without cutaways, editing etc, to give the impression of being a singular "live" performance definitely feels a bit cheeky. 

Am I wrong in thinking that literally everybody does this on social media, and that if you didn't do it, you'd be at a huge disadvantage? ie have to be twice as good a guitarist as everyone else (or spend 5x as long) to sound equally good as one's peers, who are producing a music track for their video then shooting a video to fit on top of it.