Tenor Uke Build

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16670
My partner has been complaining that she doesn't have an instrument built by me.   I pointed out she could help herself to any of the guitars in the house, but apparently that is not enough.

We agreed I would build a uke and she would definitely learn how to play it.   A few weeks later she realised just how slow I moved with these things, and she wanted to learn now.  So we got her a little Soprano uke to practice on whilst I slowly built a Tenor  that way she could keep both and have options.

first step was to get a top and back plate, made from limba for this

I cut some simple braces from a piece of tightly grained pine that was packaging from a new oven we had recently. Don't tell her I didn't want to use my proper bracing stock ;)  No radius on this, keeping it really simple for speed

I messed up the matching sides as I tried to bend at 2mm thick, which works well with the walnut i have been bending on recent builds, but the black limba just didn't work.  so swapped out for some pear, thinned down to 1.5mm - it bent incredibly easily

I decided to go with a pre-made neck from ebay, which turned up like this.  

She was okay with me using a repaired neck, so we are now up to this point, waiting on binding

Its going to be painted, likely with posco pens once a design is settled on, so the mismatched wood is not bother.   I did also say I would do one with fancier woods and proper detailing if she sticks with it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments