Beato meets Bissonette

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
I don't often watch Rick Beato videos.  I really like his child-like enthusiasm about music, but on the other hand he talks about lots of technical stuff which is way beyond me and it makes me feel, frankly, a bit depressed because I'll never understand it.

But for some reason I started watching this interview with Gregg Bissonette.  I know nothing about guitar, I know less than nothing about drums, but what an unbelievably likeable, joyful guy!  He's 62 but he couldn't be more energetic if he was 22.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited May 2022
    Very entertaining and interesting interview.

Great band with clips on their website http://thereddcoats.com/. Love the clean production. Rich growly bass tone, great drum sounds/playing, plus superb guitar parts from Andy Timmons. Sort of a poppy Steely Dan thing going on. The start of 'Just Gimme The News' has shades of Mike Stern's Chromazone. Inspired me to buy the album.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited May 2022
    You're right, Gregg is a delight in the video! Interesting that Ringo is his fave drummer, I always thought that he wasn't supposed to be that good?  I guess I subconsciously based my opinion on that quote of "he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles" 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    axisus said:
    Your right, Gregg is a delight in the video! Interesting that Ringo is his fave drummer, I always thought that he wasn't supposed to be that good?  I guess I subconsciously based my opinion on that quote of "he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles" 
    That has certainly become "received wisdom".  Poor old Ringo, he's had to go through 50-odd years of the general public thinking he's a crap drummer and the funny-but-least-talented Beatle.

Interesting to hear a drummer's perspective, although it's very clear that Gregg is a Beatles fan and a music fan rather than a "drum geek".
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think Gregg mentions something about putting it in the context of the time. Roughly speaking in the mid sixties we had jazz drummers doing all sorts of technical stuff and pop drummers doing straight 4:4. And Ringo went another way by not having jazz chops but using creativity. In many ways that's the story of The Beatles so that fits right in. From what Gregg says Ringo was a left handed drummer using a right handed kit so he did all sorts of things that are seen as technically incorrect. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited May 2022
    That was a fun interview and he has the energy of Phil X. Imagine those 2 in a band!!!

One thing he didn't mention was that he was the drummer on all the sessions for the cool background/link music for Friends. Yep, the entire 10 series and picks up handsome royalty cheques for that.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 583
    That story in how ended up as the voice of Winnie the Pooh is amazing ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    I also watched this and found it very interesting, partly because RB struggled to get a word in !
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I've always enjoyed Gregg's videos.. some of the lessons he does with Drumeo are fantastic. That was another great vid :)