New amp range coming from Blackstar?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    And not just for humans carrying. But the cost of transportation. Even some big bands are cutting down the amount of gear taken on the road. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    fretmeister said:

No it isn’t. Weight is one of those things that doesn’t matter to the young and the strong, and then matters to everyone at some point.

It will matter to you one day too. Either that or you won’t be gigging anymore and you can remain blissfully ignorant as to why it’s important.

You could also spend some time on the bass forums. Weight of amps and in particular cabs has been a massive selling point for years.

Guitarists have always been behind the curve compared to acceptance of new ideas in equipment.
    I used to own a Mesa Trem-o-verb combo - or actually at one point, two of them :). They are very heavy - 45Kg or 98lb, or 7 stone... but they're surprisingly easy to move for something that weight, because they have excellent wheels, end handles, smooth rounded edges with all the knobs recessed, and are quite compact so you can pick one up on your own if you have to (by the end handles - the leather top handle is strictly for steering it on its wheels ;) ). I always used to say that they weren't *that* heavy, it was worth it for the sound quality, and anyone who moaned about amps lighter than that was just old.

Then I got old. And not even that old - just old enough that when I had some medical advice not to lift things that weight or I was risking doing myself more harm than I wanted to, I decided that it simply wasn't worth it any more. So yes, weight is now a selling point for me as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Yup.

I’m on hernia No6 and this time the surgeons want me to live with it due to surgical risks.

I get interested in a product like everybody else - I hear a demo and like it. The first spec I check is always the weight.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited June 2022
    So, who knows where the silly name has come from??

Give up?

\/

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scotch_of_St_James)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    So, who knows where the silly name has come from??

Give up?

\/

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scotch_of_St_James)

There is a district in Northampton, their home town. Not especially salubrious but then I live there!

Dave.
  • I think St. James is an alright name, less standard that Series One.  Saying that, I've renamed my Series One 200 to The Herniator.

On collecting it from servicing, I was very grateful when one of those heroes of the Blackstar serving & repair department carried it to my car.  
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    My Heartbreaker combo was up there with the Tremoverb for weight. Gave up and got Zilla to make me a head shell, still happy with that decision. Took a 20kg amp to the gig yesterday, got slightly lost in the car park. Really feeling it today. Light suddenly seems appealing!
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    I think St. James is an alright name, less standard that Series One.  Saying that, I've renamed my Series One 200 to The Herniator.

On collecting it from servicing, I was very grateful when one of those heroes of the Blackstar serving & repair department carried it to my car.  
    One day I’m going to catch up with whichever comedian it was at Blackstar who thought it would be hilarious to only provide a single handle in the middle of something as heavy and badly balanced as a Series One head…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • supessupes Frets: 181
    Has anybody bought one of these yet? Interested in the EL34 version just wondered if anyone had tried/bought one.