New Jet City

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
Going the Marshall route, with what sounds like an optional Jose type mod.

Handwired offshore. Wonder if Wang's had anything to do with it.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Interesting. What's the cold clipper mod? I thought a standard 800 had a cold clipper already (unless they change the value of the resistors or something like that).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Dave_Mc said:
    Interesting. What's the cold clipper mod? I thought a standard 800 had a cold clipper already (unless they change the value of the resistors or something like that).

Had a quick google and the most commonly mentioned thing seems to be a switch to go between a Marshall style 10k resistor and a Soldano style 39k.
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    Those look great. Glad to see Jet City back with a new line, I think this is a great approach. Wonder what it will involve to get them in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    Those look great. Glad to see Jet City back with a new line, I think this is a great approach. Wonder what it will involve to get them in the UK.
    They have a UK store. But everything comes way later here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Had a quick google and the most commonly mentioned thing seems to be a switch to go between a Marshall style 10k resistor and a Soldano style 39k.
    Ah right I thought that might be it, thanks :) Presumably you'd need to have that combined with an extra gain stage (the high gain mod?) to really get the most out of the Soldano style one? I could be wrong, but IIRC that great rob robinette site said that the Soldano one actually lowers the gain there, because with the extra gain stage, 10k would be too much. But (presumably, as I said, I could be wrong and probably am!) with the standard JCM800 amount of gain, using the Soldano value will actually lower the gain...
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited May 2022
    Hand wired JCM800 with a lead boost? Literally exactly what I've been wanting for the last 20 or 30 years.
    Don't need the other mods.
    Take my money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2385
    Yeah this looks pretty ideal - I like my mini JCM 800, but if it had a lead boost and a bit more gain it'd be faultless. Hope these come to the UK in due course.
    Tim
    Dave_Mc said:
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Ah right I thought that might be it, thanks :) Presumably you'd need to have that combined with an extra gain stage (the high gain mod?) to really get the most out of the Soldano style one? I could be wrong, but IIRC that great rob robinette site said that the Soldano one actually lowers the gain there, because with the extra gain stage, 10k would be too much. But (presumably, as I said, I could be wrong and probably am!) with the standard JCM800 amount of gain, using the Soldano value will actually lower the gain...

Sorry mate, I missed this.

Now I'm useless at electronics, but reading This (which I'm guessing you're referencing):

I'm getting the impression the that because, no matter the value, it only produces a small amount of gain and is more of a gain character or structure switch.

But yeah, I would be getting the high gain mod no matter what.

Hand wired JCM800 with a lead boost? Literally exactly what I've been wanting for the last 20 or 30 years.
    Take my money.

I'm thinking it's a volume boost rather than gain boost?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    This looks great, it's a shame the depth mod and lead boost are an either/or as they both seem really useful. I suppose if they have an FX loop anyway then the depth mod would be more useful and a clean boost is only one extra cable to run vs a footswitch. hope they come to the UK!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    tekbow said:
    Take my money.

I'm thinking it's a volume boost rather than gain boost?
    I hope so !! Stock is enough gain for me.
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Now I'm useless at electronics, but reading This (which I'm guessing you're referencing):

I'm getting the impression the that because, no matter the value, it only produces a small amount of gain and is more of a gain character or structure switch.

From what I remember the higher value resistor of the Soldano produces more asymmetrical clipping, for the recognisable Soldano gain type of sound, giving a bit more of a raw edge to the distortion character
    edited May 2022
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    tekbow said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Ah right I thought that might be it, thanks Presumably you'd need to have that combined with an extra gain stage (the high gain mod?) to really get the most out of the Soldano style one? I could be wrong, but IIRC that great rob robinette site said that the Soldano one actually lowers the gain there, because with the extra gain stage, 10k would be too much. But (presumably, as I said, I could be wrong and probably am!) with the standard JCM800 amount of gain, using the Soldano value will actually lower the gain...

No worries- I frequently miss posts too!

Yeah that's the site. I think he has a page about how the Soldano SLO works as well. I'm useless at electronics too, but it does seem to be a really good site. It basically took me from not having a clue, to still not really having a clue, but at least being a bit better! EDIT: Interesting... on the JCM800 page you linked to, it says the Soldano value is less aggressive. On the Soldano page, it says the higher the value, the less gain. Unless they're talking about gain and distortion as separate things, I guess. Grrr, I kind of know just enough about this stuff to consistently get the wrong end of the stick, lol. EDIT #2: I could be wrong, but I think that's what's happening- the cold clipper is hardly adding any gain (i.e. amplification) but is there to add distortion. So a higher value of resistor equals less gain/amplification, but more distortion. I think.  :s

Is the high gain mod always on, or is it footswitchable?

From what I remember the higher value resistor of the Soldano produces more asymmetrical clipping, for the recognisable Soldano gain type of sound, giving a bit more of a raw edge to the distortion character
    Interesting, thanks

edited May 2022
    Turns out I was more wrong than right.  B

The asymmetrical clipping from the cold clipper apparently produces a smoother, creamier sound, with more 2nd order harmonics. Which makes sense, as it's only on the lead channel on the Soldano circuits, so presumably that's what makes the lead channel fat and creamy.

There's a section here on the Cold Clipper, and also the JCM800 mod specifically: https://robrobinette.com/How_the_Saldano_SLO-100_Works.htm

My simple takeaway is the cold clipper mod Jet city are offering is a 3-way switch to make the gain character a bit less fizzy, or a bit more fizzy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

The asymmetrical clipping from the cold clipper apparently produces a smoother, creamier sound, with more 2nd order harmonics. Which makes sense, as it's only on the lead channel on the Soldano circuits, so presumably that's what makes the lead channel fat and creamy.

There's a section here on the Cold Clipper, and also the JCM800 mod specifically: https://robrobinette.com/How_the_Saldano_SLO-100_Works.htm

My simple takeaway is the cold clipper mod Jet city are offering is a 3-way switch to make the gain character a bit less fizzy, or a bit more fizzy.

We say "sizzley" when talking about Soldano around here ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4140
    Love the sound of soldano but this jet city in this comparison sounds absolutely awful 
      Must be something wrong somewhere as I’ve only usually heard good things about them.
     I didn’t think they were making amps any more due to an illness years ago but it seems they’re alive n well. Hope the jet city proves to be better,it would be great to have a cheaper Chinese SL0 alternative 

https://youtu.be/xALWL2ftD8g

LOL that's how I feel most of the time. 

I've never actually tried an SLO, just an Avenger (and I've got a Jet City). Also for some reason I just assumed the cold clipper was on the normal channel as well- not sure why, maybe because it's on the JCM800 and its amount of gain is roughly similar to the normal channel?

Good call on that link- I'm sure I've read that bit of his site before, just I forgot! I'm sure I remember reading where he said that the 39k was in circuit all the time, and the other two resistor values in parallel with it made the correct overall values.
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    That looks awesome, but to be honest i love the look of the 20watt heads. I hope they bring them to the uk as when I go on there all they have left is the Amelia, and I always wanted a custom 22h and one of there 2x12 vertical cabs 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader

According to Mike Soldano he adjusted that gain stage cathode to get symmetrical clipping out of the cathode follower circuit, was on the Tone Talk episode if you want to hear the man say it himself. Robs site is good but you can't look at one stage in isolation and then use that as a basis for what the final output will be.

If you stick a 39k in a stock 800 the drive will be really weak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

According to Mike Soldano he adjusted that gain stage cathode to get symmetrical clipping out of the cathode follower circuit, was on the Tone Talk episode if you want to hear the man say it himself. Robs site is good but you can't look at one stage in isolation and then use that as a basis for what the final output will be.

If you stick a 39k in a stock 800 the drive will be really weak.

So maybe not worth having then?

I think it's this OR the second master, seems like the second master is a winner