New Jet City

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Turns out I was more wrong than right.  B

The asymmetrical clipping from the cold clipper apparently produces a smoother, creamier sound, with more 2nd order harmonics. Which makes sense, as it's only on the lead channel on the Soldano circuits, so presumably that's what makes the lead channel fat and creamy.

There's a section here on the Cold Clipper, and also the JCM800 mod specifically: https://robrobinette.com/How_the_Saldano_SLO-100_Works.htm

My simple takeaway is the cold clipper mod Jet city are offering is a 3-way switch to make the gain character a bit less fizzy, or a bit more fizzy.

According to Mike Soldano he adjusted that gain stage cathode to get symmetrical clipping out of the cathode follower circuit, was on the Tone Talk episode if you want to hear the man say it himself. Robs site is good but you can't look at one stage in isolation and then use that as a basis for what the final output will be.

If you stick a 39k in a stock 800 the drive will be really weak.
    Excellent, thanks :)

I'm not liking they way you're saying there's no shortcut to understanding these things, though. Especially since I wasn't even planning to read the entirety of Rob's website...  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited May 2022
    According to Mike Soldano he adjusted that gain stage cathode to get symmetrical clipping out of the cathode follower circuit, was on the Tone Talk episode if you want to hear the man say it himself. Robs site is good but you can't look at one stage in isolation and then use that as a basis for what the final output will be.

Thanks for adding more info. Presumably less gain, but still the fatter tone. And then by flipping the switch the other way, to a lower value than the stock Marshall value, a bit more gain.

@tekbow They do have a note there, that the gain increase it can give is less than the "high gain" switch they can offer as an alternative, so it seems its a choice between cold clipper or high gain mod, rather than MV?
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Thanks for adding more info. Presumably less gain, but still the fatter tone. And then by flipping the switch the other way, to a lower value than the stock Marshall value, a bit more gain.

@tekbow They do have a note there, that the gain increase it can give is less than the "high gain" switch they can offer as an alternative, so it seems its a choice between cold clipper or high gain mod, rather than MV?

Yeah, I re-read it later and realised I'd mixed the options up :+1:

I'd take the high gain switch over the clipper mod.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Wee update, apparently this fella has something to do with these amps