What are the essential differences between guitar and bass

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I play both and have often noted that the general comments state that bass and guitar are different instruments. And good guitar playing is not easily transferable to bass. 

I play bass in a Country and Irish band. I play bass in the manner I think the song needs: roots or roots and fifths, walk ups and walk downs. Nothing exciting or revolutionary but my fellow band members like my contributions so I stick to what works. 

I had a look at the ‘proper’ way to play bass on Johnny B Goode and it all seemed wrong to me. From my perspective, that bass pattern did not enhance the song or more importantly, strengthen the rhythm of the song. But who am I to comment? In a nutshell, what is the difference between guitar and bass?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    When I've played bass I rather enjoy how you are working in the background with the drummer, like being part of the foundation instead of the flashy... erm... something on a house that's flashy.

Funny thing I've found is the more you play bass the more you notice basslines on records.

Disclaimer: I'm a total root playing bass-hack, so have very little knowledge of the nuances of it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    What I found tricky was the picking hand technique. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    FZ: "I like the Bass guitar, it gives people something to listen to when they don't want to listen to the music" - or something like that.

I prefer Rich Sinclair's view of "filling in the gaps".

Either way, you are either underpinning a stronger mid/treble melody with harmonised reference points that a rhythm can hang on to, or your being musical. I prefer the latter.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    The difference is whatever the composer of the tune wants it to be.

Both instruments can play the riff / main motif. Or one can play a rhythmic support, or a counter melody. Or a mix of harmony and unison.

Or even all of it depending on the section of the tune. Like Jack Bruce would. And for that matter the real original god of the low end, Johann Sebastian Bach. Unison, harmony, percussive rhythm, counter melodies. He did it all magnificently.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Rocker said:

In a nutshell, what is the difference between guitar and bass?
    Timing.

With bass, the feel/groove is more important than the notes. (Obviously only up to a point, as with all these things.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2022
    Comment Deleted
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    You can be more adventurous on bass. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited May 2022
    Rocker said:

And good guitar playing is not easily transferable to bass. 
    And there you have it. Nobody has ever said “bass playing isn’t directly transferable to guitar.” Because it’s obvious. It’s like saying you can never get a McDonalds patty to taste like fillet steak. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Rocker said:

And there you have it. Nobody has ever said “bass playing isn’t directly transferable to guitar.” Because it’s obvious. It’s like saying you can never get a McDonalds patty to taste like fillet steak. 
    The bass being the fillet steak.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    To me, when playing bass, I am part of the rhythm section and need to be on the ball. A bum note on the bass is a very bad thing.  Not that I throw loads of bum notes into my guitar playing but I just feel a greater responsibility when playing bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    To me, when playing bass, I am part of the rhythm section and need to be on the ball. A bum note on the bass is a very bad thing.  Not that I throw loads of bum notes into my guitar playing but I just feel a greater responsibility when playing bass.
    But equally, a *wrong* note - in the right key - is usually less noticeable than one that’s out of time... it’s hard to explain why, but if you play solidly in time and in key then you can get away with being more ‘creative’, somehow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ICBM said:
    But equally, a *wrong* note - in the right key - is usually less noticeable than one that’s out of time... it’s hard to explain why, but if you play solidly in time and in key then you can get away with being more ‘creative’, somehow.
    I remember something from an interview with Bruce Thomas that he learned bass by playing along with the rhythms on Motown tracks. He had decided that timing and groove were the most important thing and he could add the proper notes later. He did okay - Elvis Costello, Suzanne Vega, noted expert on Bruce Lee (okay that may not be a bass thing). 

But guitar and bass are broad churches. I don’t think there’s a single simple answer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    viz said:
    Rocker said:

The bass being the fillet steak.
    Hehe touché :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    On bass, a wrong note is unimportant. If you smile and play the same note again, no-one even knows it happened. A note out of time, however, sticks out like the dog's proverbials and must be avoided at all costs.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Traditionally, two strings and one octave. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2022
    The bass is a lot more physical to play, especially if you use your fingers. Combine that with the importance of feel and timing and you're in a very different world. Because bass tends to be played with little or no effects, the way you handle the strings makes a huge difference, that's where all of your dynamics and expression is coming from. And its role in the music is very different, you need a completely new approach
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited May 2022
    Speaking of fingers, a fair bit of guitar is played by fretting using the fingertips. Bass guitar tends towards the flat section of the digits, 

In a dance music context, it is the bass to which one wiggles one's booty.

Play along with some classic Donald "Duck" Dunn bass lines, on a proper P Bass width neck, and you will find your fretting fingers more or less dancing between the fret positions. 

James Jamerson bass lines are more sophisticated than Dunn. Adam Clayton's often less so. All are equally valid. Repetitive eight notes that lock in with the drums set a foundation over which almost anything can happen.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    Is it that one attracts the opposite (or same) sex and the other doesn’t?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    mrkb said:
    While the other renders you invisible. 
    mrkb said:
    Most of the time! :D 

Mind you, on one solitary occasion after a pub gig a woman came up to me and asked me about my finger stamina and whether it was a transferable skill...

Unfortunately she asked in front of my girlfriend at the time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom