Should I buy matching cab to go with my amp head?

What's Hot

Comments

• allenallen Frets: 707
    I believe the Line & Sinker cabs are highly regarded.
    Took me a minute

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Hook wizard head. There’s very few reviews from people who have bought one.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Love matching cabs.

Zilla.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    allen said:

It's a Hook Wizard
    Annoyingly, the Hook website doesn't say what the cabinet is loaded with, other than it's a WGS speaker of some sort. But that could be one of several models...

The reason for asking is that the matching cab is most likely chosen to perform as the designer of the amp intends, so if you don't get the matching one you should probably aim for something at least similar.

For example, a cheap option would be the Harley Benton G112V, which has a Celestion V30, which is what the WGS Veteran 30 is supposed to be based on... but that's several assumptions which may not be correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Some detective work indicates that it’s probably a Warehouse Invader 50. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2383
    I'd either be going matching, or Zilla as they'll be able to build it with the stripe and the right speaker for a bit less.
    Tim
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Zilla Zilla Zilla

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2022
    There's a Peavey Valveking 4x12 in the rehearsal studio that we use that matches my Laney perfectly. I don't know what speakers are in it but it sounds great. I am thinking of getting one and possibly de-badging it, "if it sounds good then it is good"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    edited May 2022
    How about give @BlackbirdCabs a shout?
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    roberty said:
    There's a Peavey Valveking 4x12 in the rehearsal studio that we use that matches my Laney perfectly. I don't know what speakers are in it but it sounds great. I am thinking of getting one and possibly de-badging it, "if it sounds good then it is good"

Absolutely agree. Sometimes the most unlikely combinations of gear (usually involving at least one really cheap / unsuitable bit of kit) can end up sounding stellar!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791

I have a Zilla 2x12 Super Fat Boy with convertible back that I might be willing to sell on.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 418.2K
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2022
    Can't say it bothers me. Mine doesn't match, but then I built my head cab and it's just oiled wood and I can't be bothered making a cab to match.
    mrkb said:

I have a Zilla 2x12 Super Fat Boy with convertible back that I might be willing to sell on.

Nice, but my neighbours wouldn't thank you. 1 x 12 is the max I'm going for. 

And also need something quite a bit smaller so that I can fit it in the living room.
    How about give @BlackbirdCabs a shout?
    I've just had a look at their website. Beautiful woodworking.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    For something small I would be looking at barefaced cabs :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Yep!

(grainy old pic)
    LOL even the plectrum matches!

Roland said:
    allen said:

Main issue is whether I’ll get much back when I come to sell it. 
    Your best option for minimising financial loss is not to buy anything. Your second best option for minimising loss is to buy second hand, and one might pop up before you get around to buying new. Third is buying a branded cab, with commission build fourth. I guess you knew all that.

Realistically, how about playing with what you’ve got until the honeymoon period is over. By that time you’ll know whether you want to keep the amp, and have a better idea of what cab size and speaker type you want. 

I gave you a wisdom, but then I got to thinking- the way inflation is going at the moment, buying nothing might not actually be the best option for minimising financial loss!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    allen said:
    mrkb said:

Nice, but my neighbours wouldn't thank you. 1 x 12 is the max I'm going for. 

And also need something quite a bit smaller so that I can fit it in the living room.

Why would your neighbours be more annoyed if you have a 2 x 12, more than a 1 x 12? Surely the volume will be the same as that's governed by the output of the head?

Will you be gigging this amp? If it's just for home use, maybe go for a bare wood cab which will just look like a piece of furniture and will be easier to shift in the future should you sell the head.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yep!

(grainy old pic)
    Good eyes!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yep!

(grainy old pic)
    Good eyes!
     =)

Actually I wear glasses, lol, definitely couldn't make out the plectrum at standard typing distance without them!
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    I will give you my two cents and say if it's a good amp it deserves a cab with good speakers don't go cheap just remember
      you get what you pay for also if have a good neutral looking cab made it's always there for the future should you change
      or buy another head.