Should I buy matching cab to go with my amp head?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Absolutely, can get pricey though. I need to match up my Gower

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2249
    edited June 2022
    Don't go all matchy matchy. Mix it up a bit

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Forgive my ignorance but isn't the sole benefit of buying a head/cab rather than a combo the fact that you aren't stuck with the amp-maker's choice of speaker? So what's the point of buying a matching cab with what would presumably be the speaker that comes in the combo format? 

The notion of buying a separate head and cab makes no sense to me anyway. It's not compatible with my 'one lift' in and out of rehearsals/gigs. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    A 4x12 combo would be unwieldy, and 2x12 combos can be pretty bad as it is (eg Fender Twin). The rehearsal place I use has cabs in the rooms so you can just bring your head. Cab share is common for gigs when there's a few bands on as well, you can swap heads for a quick changeover, everything is still mic'd up. Mixing and matching heads and cabs is another advantage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Hattigol said:

Forgive my ignorance but isn't the sole benefit of buying a head/cab rather than a combo the fact that you aren't stuck with the amp-maker's choice of speaker?
    Not only that - closed-back cabinets sound different. Almost all combos are open-back.

Hattigol said:

The notion of buying a separate head and cab makes no sense to me anyway. It's not compatible with my 'one lift' in and out of rehearsals/gigs. 
    I agree - at least until the amp gets to a certain size - but a lot of people do seem to find a head and cab easier, even at the sort of size where I can still lift a combo.

No self-respecting metal guitarist would use a combo either :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Space prohibits a 4x12, so improvisation was key - 2 x 100w celestion-loaded and just as raucous! 

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Space prohibits a 4x12, so improvisation was key - 2 x 100w celestion-loaded and just as raucous! 
    Are those ported PA bass bins? If so I’m not surprised they sound good for guitar, especially at low-ish volume. Probably the best use, since at only 100W each no-one would actually want them for PA these days!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I'm currently using mismatched stuff and I don't really give a crap.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom