Need new job in I.T.

What's Hot
wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
edited May 2022 in Off Topic
Hi,

I know there are a few I.T. people on here so hoping you can help please with power of the tFB 

I am looking for new I.T. job, currently work as Field Ops but want to get off the road. Its becoming struggle as I'm in my late forties and my employer has not treated me well over last 3 years.

I'm in Kent and looking for 2nd line Support (or similar) and interested in hybrid working. I would not discount fully remote either.

I have tried LinkedIn, totaljobs, jobs go public etc but no luck just yet.

Cheers,
Dean 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    Need new job innit
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11524
    wesker123 said:
    Hi,

I know there are a few I.T. people on here so hoping you can help please with power of the tFB 

I am looking for new I.T. job, currently work as Field Ops but want to get off the road. Its becoming struggle as I'm in my late forties and my employer has not treated me well over last 3 years.

I'm in Kent and looking for 2nd line Support (or similar) and interested in hybrid working. I would not discount fully remote either.

Cheers,
    Dean 
    PM me.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1016
    wesker123 said:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Dean 
    Hi Dean

I take it you are looking after Windows servers or is it hardware or both? If you can support Windows try learning about a Linux as well, always handy to have the extra skill. 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    wesker123 said:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Dean 
    Hi Dean

I take it you are looking after Windows servers or is it hardware or both? If you can support Windows try learning about a Linux as well, always handy to have the extra skill. 
    Hi

Mostly hardware. Used Adaxes, Cisco call manager and a few others including Hornbill ITIL system.
    I will have a look at Linux. I have seen others use it but they never have time to show me.
    Thank you.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Depends where you are in Kent but Diebold have an office in Dartford. I’ve dealt with them on the ePOS side of things. Not sure what else is based in that office. That’s the only hardware specific company I can think of round here. 

I’m kinda in IT (service management side) and in the last few years I’ve found that I’ve got very little response from responding to jobs directly either through job sites or direct to companies.

Most positive leads came through recruiters finding my profile on those job websites.  So I’d spend the first part of my day updating my CV (with the same version as the day before) on as many job sites as poss to show I was active. 

Best of luck with your search. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    edited May 2022
    ITIL  f*ck me that takes me back ..................  I got badged up an everyfing  (did the green and blue IIRC not red tho)

I worked for quite a large IT services company

Ive been out of it (after 35 years) for a year now (which makes me a dinosaur)  - I dont really know now what the on prem  situation is, but  ,    two routes (no pun intended) as I see it (assuming you're not going into devops or sysops)

Network  - Cisco / Palo Alto  etc

Cloud  hybrid integration / migration (Azure / AWS / Bluemix)

If I was still "working" and had some contacts -   Id say send me your CV,   considering where you are  it would be hard NOT to get a job 

I'll ask a couple of ex-colleagues, see what they have to say
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ChrisRG said:
    Depends where you are in Kent but Diebold have an office in Dartford. I’ve dealt with them on the ePOS side of things. Not sure what else is based in that office. That’s the only hardware specific company I can think of round here. 

I’m kinda in IT (service management side) and in the last few years I’ve found that I’ve got very little response from responding to jobs directly either through job sites or direct to companies.

Most positive leads came through recruiters finding my profile on those job websites.  So I’d spend the first part of my day updating my CV (with the same version as the day before) on as many job sites as poss to show I was active. 

Best of luck with your search. 
    I'm in Medway, so not far from Dartford.
    I'll check them out. I would prefer to get into software. The lifting and shifting is getting more difficult as I get older.

I have CV on jobsites, but I need to refresh it. Many thanks.
    edited May 2022
    bertie said:
    ITIL  f*ck me that takes me back ..................  I got badged up an everyfing  (not green and blue IIRC not red tho)

Ive been out of it (after 35 years) for a year now (which makes me a dinosaur)  - I dont really know now what the on prem  situation is, but  ,    two routes (no pun intended) as I see it (assuming you're not going into devops or sysops)

Network  - Cisco / Palo Alto  etc

Cloud  hybrid integration / migration (Azure / AWS / Bluemix)

If I was still "working" and had some contacts -   Id say send me your CV,   considering where you are  it would be hard NOT to get a job 

I'll ask a couple of ex-colleagues, see what they have to say
    Thank you. I tried to get Network role with my current employer. They chose to take someone much younger with nowhere near my experience.
    Not that they would dare admit ageism. Feedback I received was no relation to my interview ffs. 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Fair enough on the lifting/shifting side. I don’t blame you on that one. 

I’d definitely recommend updating your job website profiles regularly.  Even if it’s just to upload the same CV.  It is a ballache but in my experience, that is where the calls come from.  Also worth getting others to take a look at your CV/profile and get their feedback.  

Recruiters will also look on LinkedIn for skill matches and check out your profile if they find your CV elsewhere. Definitely worth updating that as well if you haven’t already. 

You’ve got years and years of experience so that’s definitely a selling point.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    ITIL is horrible haha
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    No.. its the most boring 4 days of my life... boring boring boring :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    edited May 2022
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    No.. its the most boring 4 days of my life... boring boring boring
    four days ?   

part timer   

TBH it is  was just common sense really,   but not now so much with AGILE / sysops / devops  -  not sure its evolved with the need for fast/streamlined turn around 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    Being bored is horrible :)
    edited May 2022
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    Being bored is horrible
    @bertie actually the book and training was the boring part, the exam wasn't the most exciting part either. 
    “Ken sent me.”
    edited May 2022
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    Being bored is horrible
    @bertie actually the book and training was the boring part, the exam wasn't the most exciting part either. 
    luckily for me its distant past.......................  IIRC I did all my shit back in about 2001 or 2   -    co I worked for even developed their own take/spin and we had to do "refreshers"    

HR do love a "methodology"  and "accreditation"  gives em something tangible to measure against I guess
    Bump. Still looking......
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Have you tried indeed.com that's how I got my job at Google
    Have you tried indeed.com that's how I got my job at Google
    Yes I look on there every fews days. Not found right job yet. Thank you. 
    PM'd you 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    roberty said:
    ITIL is horrible haha
    Worst thing is...it's totally fucking pointless. I've seen many companies who claim to be completely ITIL-compliant, and not a single one actually does anything related to it. Looks good in sales to other companies who do exactly the same thing, and that's the only reason anybody ever bothers.

In terms of operational capability, companies are far better reading The DevOps Handbook and picking and choosing the easy bits.
    <space for hire>