Best way to strip/solder fine enameled pickup wire

What's Hot
I dug out a p90 I bought ages ago and never used, and it measures open circuit, so I removed the cover and checked the continuity of the hookup wire which is fine. Reasoning that the only issue (in my mind anyway) that would be fixable without completely rewinding the pickup is likely to be the joint between the pickup winding itself and the smal flying leads that then join the hookup wire, I attempted to reflow these joints, but the enameled wire isn't playing ball - I'm using a basic 25w Antex iron and flux cored leaded solder, maybe I didn't persist long enough, or the iron doesn't get hot enough to burn off the insulation - in any case the wire is very fine and resorting to mechanical abrasion doesn't look possible a a prep method. If anyone can weigh in with where I'm going wrong I'd appreciate it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 626
    I don't think 25W will touch it. I use 80W or more at about 370 degrees when tinning enamel at work. You might get it with 50W because your wire is a finer gauge than my usual.
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 626
    Oh and PSA don't breathe in the fumes they are pretty unpleasant for humans.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I’ve never had much trouble with a 25 or 30W Antex iron, but if it’s troublesome then I very gently scrape it with a craft knife.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    I pull it through a small piece of very fine abrasive paper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    I scowl fiercely at recalcitrant copper wire coating until it retreats of its own accord. :neutral: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10248
    tFB Trader
    We never strip enamelled wire ... 60w solder station and you are good to go - just solder through it.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message