Ordered a Harley Benton from Thomann.. [Update: it arrived..]

What's Hot

Comments

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 571
    There is nothing to be scared of,the scariest part is they are so good for the money!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    roberty said:
    Curious to hear about the setup @skunkwerx, a potential game changer
    Will report back! 

I have a feeling its similar to most Uk stores, ie its looked over briefly and ballparked rather than properly set up. 

When I asked if it could be set up, they responded and said they check and set up all of this brand when it comes in, so any extra is just a waste of time and a delay. 

So hopefully its ok. But I’ve been watching unboxing videos and a lot of them I’ve seen arrive with the strings wrapped and taped in paper.. so I have a feeling thats how they leave the factory rather than the store doing it after they’ve checked it.. if its been checked!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    One I just had in for review was setup fine

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I've never bought a guitar in recent years that wasn't set up ok, except ironically a Gibson where somebody had done something very weird with the bridge I had to fix,
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    It has arrived… 

Overall. I’m impressed. 
    Few little niggles. But nothing that cant be sorted. 

Fretwork is great. Need a polish but not one sharp end. 

I’ll make a full video showing it up real close, all flaws and positives pointed out. Soon. Soon. Couple days or so or the weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2022
    After now having had my used TE62 for a several weeks (£90 from off here), I really like it but the first improvement and outlay I've decided on will be to replace the neck pickup with a used Fender Twisted Tele pickup I'm acquiring (£40). The neck pickup is just a little dark and muddy for me and I think the TT should add some spank and openness. Their own brand Rosewell bridge pickup is actually really good and so that's staying and I hope it pairs up well.

As I'm bedding with it, I'll see if anything else needs replacing/improving. Referring to Dave Burrluck's recent 'Pimp my Harley Benton' Guitarist piece, if really needed, I'd be prepared to spend what I paid for it again as on the basis of things so far, I think it will play and sound better than most guitars around the £300 mark.

Possibly more to come...
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited May 2022
    skunkwerx said:

So what is it I’ve bought I hear you all ask? 

A Harley Benton Victory Plus BK Vintage Series. @ £169 delivered. 

Assuming that you are going to keep the guitar, when you get around to thinking about protecting it, I can recommend Thomann's own V-Style Gig Bag. 

The padding is quite thick and offers good protection against knocks, dings, and scratches. It also has good storage spaces for magazines and accessories.

The bag is very well made. 

This one:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_fv.htm
    Cheers fellas. 

I am in the process of doing a proper vid to show it all (there wont be an awful amount of playing, but it will be awful playing) but heres a few pics.. 

Frets were manky and so I steel wooled them then gave the fretboard a light oil. 

They are now pretty darn smooth! Restrung it with DR Black Beauties.. because they look killer.. black on black with the gold :) 

Tbh the pics look hardly any different haha! 

Gave it a mighty clean too. 

Couple small negatives so far. 
    Bridge studs are a bit weirdly mounted.. theyre not entirely flush but it’s the same on both, I just couldnt get a decent pic of the other side.. 

And these things.. They forgot the glue lmao.. 

Set up is fine. 
    I’m used to locking tuners and TOM locking bits so stability is so so but seems ok! A better nut would help no end I think. 
    Adjusted 2 strings intonation but the rest were fine out the box. 

Overall.. I’ve had much much worse and at 10x the price..
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
    (stuck record time warning) i bought my first hb guitar about a month ago now (is a fusion iii hss pro in daphne blue). it is one of the best guitars that i have owned and i have owned various guitars over the years from a bullet mustang to les paul classic premium plus bought new back in 1996, and it is up there with the best guitars for me (in terms of playability and versatility).

yes there are issues with it but man i have been blown away by the guitar i have to say and have played it every day since getting it (have not done that for a long time with a guitar).

the neck on it is flipping awesome for one thing (a roasted flame maple with 24 ss frets).

i will definitely be buying another hb at some point (a bass guitar of some sort i think). 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6489
    That purple lead is the perfect choice to go with the black guitar.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    That issue with the string ferrules falling out - I had the same thing with a USA Tele.  At least it's an easy fix. :)

In the flesh, as it were, the headstock shape's a bit ugly.  That wasn't obvious from the website pics... almost like they shot it that way deliberately...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    That issue with the string ferrules falling out - I had the same thing with a USA Tele.  At least it's an easy fix. :)

In the flesh, as it were, the headstock shape's a bit ugly.  That wasn't obvious from the website pics... almost like they shot it that way deliberately...
    You know what I thought I remembered seeing something on here about that! 

Yeah the headstock is a little meh!. They’ve had a few variations on these from what it seems, an Ibanez style one and a Prs style.. both of which I think I prefer!

I gave it a good play for an hour. Tuning stability is actually fine now the new strings have bedded in. 

I had fun, I can’t lie. Never played a V before so it will take some getting used to. 

I’m not very fond of the pickups but I didnt spend any time messing around dialling in, I just used my presets on the amp.. Though I had already planned on putting some Duncan’s in tbh.. I was thinking of an Sh-6 set, which I used to have in an old Ltd Ex-50 and really liked. 

It’s also incredibly light. Like mega light. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah it does smack a bit of "deliberately designed to look crap so we don't get sued by you-know-who"!

That being said, that might be a good thing- it might suggest the guitars are good enough to warrant being sued.

Thanks for the write-up so far, @skunkwerx It looks very nice :D (even with the headstock)
    Philly_Q said:

Headstock on mine is completely different - I have a feeling somebody sent a cease and desist.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Rats! I only popped my head around the door to see how you were all doing and now I want one of these !
    Hopefully the feeling will pass.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Blue SG sounds beast. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Nice playing of Judas Priest's Electric Eye on the HB single cut starting at 9:50.
    Me want blue sg