Anyone ever try these cheap locking machine heads?

I suspect these might be a mistake to buy, thought I'd just check if anyone has ever tried them? They have a little lock nut at the front instead of a thumb wheel at the back which they say "reduces overall weight, resulting in a more balanced headstock", it sounds a bit suspect to me. What do you think?

My trading feedback thread
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    The JH embossed on the gear housings indicates Jin-Ho. These are a Chinese made copy of a Gotoh design. 

Jin-Ho (AKA Chin-Ho) also manufacture some parts for brands such as Wilkinson. e.g. Their E-Z Lock machineheads.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Probably perfectly good, if not outstanding. Jin-Ho stuff is like that… nothing wrong with it for the money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    The Axetec ones are definitely good, and £30 a set. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7158
    @Sporky ; I was just wondering about whether the Axetec ones had any embossed letters.  I've never really paid much attention because I know they are good and just fit them.  I don't have any loose to look at and I didn't really want to take one off to look.  I've never bought the locking tuners from Vanson Guitars, but they look as though they could be from the same manufacturer.  I believe that @Leisceoir was looking for the ones with the thumb screw on the top of the shaft because they are lighter.  I'm not sure how much lighter they would be, but I doubt the difference would be significant enough to even be noticed.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    ICBM said:
    Wilkinson E-Z Lock machineheads.
    Probably perfectly good, if not outstanding. Jin-Ho stuff is like that… nothing wrong with it for the money.
    My abiding memory of Wilkinson E-Z Lock 'heads is that the edges of the string holes needed filing smooth. Otherwise, they doubled as string cutters!

Plenty of Squier Affinity and lower end Yamaha instruments are sporting Jin-Ho hardware.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    I don't remember any writing on them. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 146
    Thanks for all the useful information here folks, gave me a lot of insight. I might go with the Axetec set- it's for my very cheap strat copy that is the victim of my various soldering & painting attempts hence why I'm not wanting to spend too much on hardware!
    My trading feedback thread