Dreadbox (mono) synths?

Bummed I missed out on a V1 Erebus yesterday. You snooze, you lose. I like the fact it has no preset options, just plug and play, and the fact it's a small footprint.
Other versions are going for silly money on Reverb. 
The Waldorf rocket was a similar size, just plug and play.
Worth holding out for a Typhon? Any other options? (I've had a microbrute, which was ok, but never totally gelled with it). A module would be ok. Would one of the Behringers get close?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I kind of object to Behringers on principle.

The Typhon seems like the one to go for if you don't like the Microbrute.

Maybe a Korg Monologue, or a Novation Bass Station?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @monquixote yeah, the monologue looks ok for the money, bass station would probably be my choice over those 2, but I don't even think I'd use all the bells and whistles, though the paraphonic option could be useful.
    tFB Trader
    I know it's heresy because it's not real Analogue, but I'm considering a Cobalt 5S at the moment.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I've got a Nyx V2 and that is pretty sweet

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

stonevibe said:
    I've got a Nyx V2 and that is pretty sweet
    That sounds pretty good too! Paraphonic.... hmmm...
    I have a Microkorg, which, at the lower end of the scale, isn't for everyone, it's ok for me, so some bass type tool to go along with it would be good....
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    edited May 2022
    I have a Polyend Dreadbox Medusa. Great, though no onboard effects. Kinda does it all. I don’t use the grid too much though: I need to incorporate it more, because it facilitates sequencing of all the parameters.  

in terms of Dreadbox, they are releasing DIY kits of all their old synths if you fancy your hand at some soldering.

If I was to grab another Dreadbox synth I’d probably go for the Nymphes as it’s got some nice versatility or the Nyx

tFB Trader
    You can get the Uno Pro desktop quite cheap now.
    @personalnadir I had a look but they seem to be sold out.
    I think they’ve stopped producing them now, so might be 2nd only. Got lucky and grabbed one of the last heavy discounted ones. 

Dreadbox also do good b-stock prices, but only ship to EU annoyingly 
    I think they’ve stopped producing them now, so might be 2nd only. Got lucky and grabbed one of the last heavy discounted ones. 

I'm in EU so no hassle there, but surely they're missing a trick only shipping to EU! If you are GASing and need an EU address, you can use mine!

I'm in EU so no hassle there, but surely they're missing a trick only shipping to EU! If you are GASing and need an EU address, you can use mine!

Thanks, appreciate it. As much as I love Dreadbox though, the Medusa covers so much ground it's hard to really justify getting another one. That said the Nymphes is so small it would really save a lot of space! I think my next purchase is likely to be in the sampler direction. Still tempted by the Tracker or Digitakt.

FYI Dreadbox current have Nymphes b-stock for €300 which looks like a bargain:

tFB Trader

Thanks, appreciate it. As much as I love Dreadbox though, the Medusa covers so much ground it's hard to really justify getting another one. That said the Nymphes is so small it would really save a lot of space! I think my next purchase is likely to be in the sampler direction. Still tempted by the Tracker or Digitakt.

FYI Dreadbox current have Nymphes b-stock for €300 which looks like a bargain:

Strong recommendation for the Tracker.
    It's ace.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    ^ Wow - that is a bargain. If only the Nymphes' 'menu' system was more my style. :(

goldtop said:
    ^ Wow - that is a bargain. If only the Nymphes' 'menu' system was more my style. :(

Yeah, that's another plus point for the Medusa - it's pretty good at telling you what's going on and what's impacting what. The 'grid' is a bit more confusing to use - it's taken me too long to realise that you delete steps by selecting delete and touching them, as opposed to it deleting the currently selected step.

I wonder how much of Nymphes' menu system could be mitigated by mapping it onto a midi controller?