A Fender Tonemaster Question?

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
I have the Twin Blonde. But I think a week or two after I bought it the Super Reverb came out. From what I’ve read the Super Reverb is more “pedal friendly” with higher gain drives.

In terms of firmware could I install the Super Reverb front end onto a Twin. Or is there something to prevent me? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    Im interested to hear this too, mainly as i assumed the amp part of this would just be a straight copy of the Twin, just with different speaker configuration/cabinetry. I'm looking at getting the tonemaster soon and the SR would have been top of my list if it had a pine cab like the others in the range. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    listening to the Anderton / Danish Pete demo now........................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    I think the digital hardware is the same from what I understand. Why is the super better with high gain drives? Is it a function of the physical speaker configuration, a difference in the hardware,or a difference in the code? I think that would be best to understand, because only if it is the code, will changing the firmware have the result you want.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I never knew anyone who tried to do that. I'm affraid it could somehow damage the amp and it's a pretty expensive computer to burn...
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2022
    Thanks chaps. 

I’m only going off a few things I’ve read online. I’m gonna drag my board into my local shop and see for myself. I guess I was hoping to do a quick comparison at home. But yes the speaker config will also make a huge difference. 

I’ve not gigged my Twin. But I used it in an audition and it’s fine. But I guess I’m curious. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The only reason I can see why the Super could be more pedal-friendly than the Twin is the speakers. Or it may just be complete nonsense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 123
    Interested in this as well, haven’t found a lot of real world reviews for the Super, only the usual big publications that say how good they are.
    I’m interested to know if clever use of a compressor will help to mimic the sag and compression of a real tube version?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2022
    ICBM said:
    The only reason I can see why the Super could be more pedal-friendly than the Twin is the speakers. Or it may just be complete nonsense.
    It might be. I guess the Super Reverb is the one amp by Fender I’ve no direct experience of. In my younger days on the toilet circuit. If you had to use another bands backline or a provided backline it was usually an old Fender Twin. Marshall JMP/800 or a Roland JC120. Very very occasionally a Vox AC30. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    jeztone2 said:

I guess the Super Reverb is the one amp by Fender I’ve no direct experience of. In my younger days on the toilet circuit. If you had to use another bands backline or a provided backline it was usually an old Fender Twin. Marshall JMP/800 or a Roland JC120. 
    I may be in a small minority, but I've never liked the Super. They're much rarer over here than Twins - apparently in the US it's the other way round - and I've always found the few I've played too glassy and clanky-sounding. I much prefer the beefier, fuller and more even sound of the Twin.

It is possible that the neo speakers in the Twin don't sound as good with pedal distortion as the alnicos in the Super, but my experience of the Jensen Tornados in general is that they're fine with it. (Unlike some other neos, particularly the Celestion Century Vintage.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The power amp needs a fair level so you actually drive into a Fender pre amp first, then the DSP then the power amp module which is a generic class D thing used in loads of household hi fi equipment .... so the difference,  if there is one will be the gain on the Fender pre amp that sits between the guitar input and DSP chip. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

I guess the Super Reverb is the one amp by Fender I’ve no direct experience of. In my younger days on the toilet circuit. If you had to use another bands backline or a provided backline it was usually an old Fender Twin. Marshall JMP/800 or a Roland JC120. 
    I may be in a small minority, but I've never liked the Super. They're much rarer over here than Twins - apparently in the US it's the other way round - and I've always found the few I've played too glassy and clanky-sounding. 
    the one posted earlier this week (68 ?) with the JBLs  -  that was far from "glassy" 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1304
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

I may be in a small minority, but I've never liked the Super. They're much rarer over here than Twins - apparently in the US it's the other way round - and I've always found the few I've played too glassy and clanky-sounding. 
    the one posted earlier this week (68 ?) with the JBLs  -  that was far from "glassy" 
    ahem... I think you mean this one Bertie...
    7 minutes in ..

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 123
    Got my TMSR today, really impressed so far, putting my pedalboard together tomorrow so will report my findings with my various drive pedals (Hudson broadcast, Greer Tomahawk, JHS Superbolt, Fairfield Barbershop)
  • PALPAL Frets: 515
    Changing the sound of the amp section won't necessarily turn a deluxe into a twin etc the reason is the speaker configuration
      is part of the amps sound. Fender Twins/Deluxe/Super all sound different. The Super sound is more to do with the 10 inch
      speakers. Lots of people prefer 12s but I have found 10s to be springy ! I love the sound of Fenders but there are differences
      the thing Leo Fender was trying to do was to give good clean volume. The best thing to try and do is to AB the Tone master
      models and let you ears tell you what's right for you. Good luck.
    PAL said:
    The best thing to try and do is to AB the Tone master
      models and let you ears tell you what's right for you. Good luck.
    and report back  :) 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I have a TM Twin. It's great and does exactly what I need from a Twin but I recently went all 5e3 again and the Gretsch sounds better through the 5e3 magic. Great though the Twin is, I may need to let it go....  :s
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    merlin said:
    I have a TM Twin. It's great and does exactly what I need from a Twin but I recently went all 5e3 again and the Gretsch sounds better through the 5e3 magic. Great though the Twin is, I may need to let it go....  :s
    Paging @tomajoha ;
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    merlin said:
    I was just testing this same thing today: TMTR vs 5E3 with humbuckers and, with me playing, I still prefer the 5E3.
    The Twin is great with single coils and it should come handy with some summer gigs that are coming but it's for sale and I'll let it go if a buyer comes up.
  • Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Jota said:
    merlin said:
    I was just testing this same thing today: TMTR vs 5E3 with humbuckers and, with me playing, I still prefer the 5E3.
    The Twin is great with single coils and it should come handy with some summer gigs that are coming but it's for sale and I'll let it go if a buyer comes up.
    5E3 = best combo ever