The Colour and the Shape - 25 Years

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
The seminal Foos record is 25 years old today, and maaaaan that makes me feel old.

Wonderful record and I shall be enjoying it once again. Just a shame it's come after Taylor's death. I know he didn't play on it but it must be hurting not to be able to celebrate the anniversary together.
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    The seminal Foos record is 25 years old today, and maaaaan that makes me feel old.

Wonderful record and I shall be enjoying it once again. Just a shame it's come after Taylor's death. I know he didn't play on it but it must be hurting not to be able to celebrate the anniversary together.
    Wow. I saw them on that tour in manchester. They were pretty good and dave ended up in the crowd to break up a fight. Bit mad thinking back. Scary it was 25 years ago. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    As heretical as it may be, possibly through over-familiarity, and possibly through frustration at everyone telling me I SHOULD like it, I never got into TCATS in the way others have, though it is a very good record with some great songs on it.

I almost find the newer Foos albums more impressive, as they have an astonishing ability to turn out "rock" songs in the purest sense of exceptional quality almost on a whim, maybe not an album's worth, but three or four on each one.

Radio randomly played "Rope" the other day off of Wasting Light (I think) and I actually sat in the car to finish it at my destination, never noticed how good it was before.

Hope they can make some more music sometime, despite losing Taylor (RIP).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I've never understood the appeal of the Foo's..... they just seem to lack any sort of edge, the music is so beige.  Am I missing something? 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2022
    I've never understood the appeal of the Foo's..... they just seem to lack any sort of edge, the music is so beige.  Am I missing something? 

No that's kinda how I feel too, awesome but just lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on.

I've not seen them live maybe that would be better, I don't know. 
    I've never understood the appeal of the Foo's..... they just seem to lack any sort of edge, the music is so beige.  Am I missing something? 
    I guess the obvious, and totally non-passive-aggressive, so please don't take it that way, question would be "what doesn't lack the edge and sound beige?".

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I guess the obvious, and totally non-passive-aggressive, so please don't take it that way, question would be "what doesn't lack the edge and sound beige?".

For me an obvious example would be nirvana. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1410
    Well, compared to Nirvana...

....I would try the 1st album only, as it's the drummer from Nirvana performing hastily written songs to process his feelings. Before the Foo Fighters as we know them got involved. Quite different from TCATS or others.

Other FF albums were more in the vein of Weezer or somthing else current, let alone what it became (ie: more alterno-stadium rawk).

I will say the mosh pit of FF in the 90s was the most intense I've been in, including eg: Pantera. All in mostly good spirits though.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong

For me an obvious example would be nirvana. 

Ahh. well I'd agree they have more edge, especially on In Utero, though even on the perfectly-sheened Nevermind some powerful stuff comes through.

They are one of only a handful of bands to have that kind of edge and become that popular of course.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    They are (were? :( )  a fantastic live band. It's not groundbreaking but not everything has to be. Ultimately a song like Everlong is simple but so effective - there's not much in life better than singing that with 20,000 people all having a brilliant time. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 981
    edited May 2022

Hello @darthed1981 -  not pass agg at all mate -  totally fair question - I realise I am well in the minority with this one - they are hugely popular. for good reason I am sure. This is just my opinion -  its not intended to upset anyone - I feel like there songs. are anthemic, work fanatically in front of a crowd. I'd imagine there would be a really good vibe at their gigs with everyone singing along - I think that quality (and it is a quality) means that something is taken away from the music. To my ear, to ensure its accessibility to as many people as possible, they are a little middle of the road - a little beige. There is nothing wrong with that at all - its just not my cup of tea. I am not really a rock fan in fairness but I'd go for that big song, big band thing I'd. go Queens of the Stone Age - just more interesting musically and lyrically. I should also say that I've only seen them live at a festival and didn't stay for the whole set and never owned any. of their albums so really only head the singles (with the exception of the first two records that a mate played constantly in the car)
    QOTSA are brilliant, to be sure.
  • QOTSA are brilliant, to be sure.
    totally. I probably just need to find my 'in' for the foo's
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    The Foos aren't really meant to be edgy.

I've read his book recently and a lot of the influences are supposed to be classic AM radio rock like Peter Frampton etc rather than trying to be Nirvana mk 2.
  • I was never into Nirvana either in fairness - but I take your point - they aren't meant to be edgy - they go for the big radio friendly chorus - and the evidence certainly says they do that very well. If that sort of stuff is what rings your bell then thats all good - its just not my bag but I am sure they are lovely people and aren't loosing any sleep about that lol