Review: Newtone Masterclass round core bronze

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5404
Newtone Masterclass round core phosphor bronze.

I have never felt so torn two ways about a set of strings. 

I fitted a set of these in the standard gauge (12-54) to my Maton Messiah 808, a spruce and rosewood guitar similar to many others in that classic timber pairing. If you are unfamiliar with the Messiah (a model seldom seen in the UK) it plays and sounds very like a Martin OM-28 with a crisper top end. (I remember sitting in the shop playing it and an OM-28 side-by-side trying to decide which one to buy. Two excellent instruments and not an easy choice!)

THE BAD:
No two ways about it, the sound of these strings is unrelentingly thin and shrill: much too much top end and lacking in bass. They make the Maton sound like a Taylor, and I don't mean that in a nice way. 

It's not just me: a friend dropped in the other day and noticed it immediately. He knows the guitar and his comment was "Those strings have wrecked the Messiah". That's about the size of it. It sounds awful strummed and not much better fingerpicked. There is an unpleasant zingy metallic high-mid tone and a serious lack of warmth and bass.

THE GOOD:
However, there is also a great deal to like about these strings. They achieve excellent crispness and clarity. Usually an over-bright string set produces a muddy jangle but these remain well-controlled and every note is clear.  That is very unusual.

They have a lovely soft feel under the left hand; perhaps a fraction too soft for me, they play like 11s. I can imagine someone who does a lot of electric-style lead up the neck loving them - the feel really is excellent - and the treble-heavy sound might suit someone wanting to float a bright acoustic rhythm part across the top of a band mix, or maybe someone with a bass-heavy instrument needing extra zing.  

The Newtones feel delightfully soft and smooth under the fingers. Suppression of fingering noise is outstanding: they squeal less than any string I can think of bar Elixirs. (Or flats, of course.) I checked this by playing three guitars side-by-side. As expected, Elixir Nanowebs on the first one produced hardly any left-hand squeal, but the Newtones were just as good. The John Pierce strings on the third guitar were far more objectionable in this respect - and note that John Pierce make an excellent string which so far as squeal goes is no worse than most and better than some. The Newtones really are outstanding: the quietest uncoated string I know of, and by a fair margin.

THE UGLY:
I played these a lot for the first week or so, mostly because I wanted to get enough wear out of them to justify putting something else on. For a week or two I used the Messiah as my beat-it-up practice instrument, aiming to wear the strings out. (I don't really care what a guitar sounds like if I'm only doing exercises. Well, within reason.) 

The sound improved as they got more wear on them, but not nearly enough. They remained over-trebly and still lacked bass. I continued to be impressed by the clarity: you can hear every string unless you really work at making a muddy jangle. After 12 days I decided enough was enough and took them off.  

CONCLUSION:

Newtone and rosewood do not mix. These strings push the crisp, bell-like highs of a good rosewood guitar way too far and the result is awful. 

But set that aside: these are undoubtedly excellent strings in their own way; I think they just need the right guitar to sound at their best.  I'm going to order a few more sets and try them on other instruments. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5404
    edited May 2022
    FIRST PS: Here are my half-forgotten notes from last year on a different set of Newtone strings on a very different guitar. Looking at them for the first time in nearly a year, I'm surprised at how very similar my thoughts were - and at how wrong my prediction in the final sentence was. 

* Newtone Masterclass round core brass bluegrass. ($18.24. Fitted 11 July, off on the 20th.) Very lacking in bass and weak tone overall, but shouty and obnoxious on the treble side. They improved with more time on, but not nearly enough. Nevertheless, they seem to be excellent strings with a nice feel, not as soft under the right hand as I had feared, and an excellent score on the Squeak-o-meter for an uncoated string: call it a 4. Quite smooth under the fingers too, a 4 where 10 is very rough. Although a benefit in many ways, this  makes it difficult to get enough volume from the bass strings without a plectrum Unless I miss my guess, these would come into their own on something like a big, bass-heavy Martin dreadnought, and using a pick rather than fingers. After a bit more than a week of putting up with them and hoping they would eventually improve, I gave up and took them off before their time. Nevertheless, the quality was obvious and I'm encouraged to try some different Newtones over the coming months. Something similar to these in a phosphor bronze might be just the thing on the Messiah. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SECOND PS:

Here is my thinking about ordering another couple of sets. 

The feel and playability of the Newtones is excellent, they are possibly the best strings I know in that regard; certainly at least as good as other very good ones like DR Sunbeams, Santa Cruz Parabolic, Galli LS, and Pyramid Western Folk. Their lack of left-hand fingering noise is outstanding - easily the best of any uncoated string I have tried. Given these virtues, it would be nice to find a way to get a decent sound out of them and I'll keep trying different guitars to see if one works.

The cedar-top dreadnought is a very flexible, forgiving instrument and I think the extra bass of a dreadnought might be useful with these strings, so that's worth a try. 

I was going to try them on the Huon Pine Angel, but after looking over my notes about the brass ones on it last year, that's a dumb idea and I crossed it out.

Also I'm thinking of my two American-style instruments, the Guild and the Mineur. Both have a lot of natural bottom end. Enough to carry the weak bass of the Masterclass strings? Possibly. Or will they sound thin and toppy because of the lack of volume and warmth in the mid-tones? Who knows? For less than $20 a set, why not try it and see?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26924
    This is great timing as I'm about to go on another string roundabout with my latest acquisition (adi/mahogany dread Bourgeois). People often recommend Newtones but this gives me pause! I'm keen to see if you find a set that works for you
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    They are lovely strings, @stickyfiddle If the sound works for your, on your guitar, you'll never look back. But on no account put them on for the first time if you have a gig booked - you might hate them. Adi over hog might just work brilliantly with them. Or might not. (My Guild is the same timbers, but I haven't tried them on it yet.) They are not expensive, so certainly worth a try.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26924
    Cool, I may still try a set, and will definitely give Martin Retros a go as they work so well on my HD28

I also have a pack of Santa Cruz Parabolics but I have a feeling they may work better on the little Atkin 47.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Interesting, I use the masterclass hex core on an OM and D and they are outstanding.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 941
    I use these strings sometimes on a fylde orsino, which has a cedar top (i think the back sides are mahogany) and they work well. I'm still experimenting with other sets but these are among the best I've tried on this instrument. I guess it can be very dependent on different woods /construction etc. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I tried Newtone Masterclass round core on my HD-28 at the time and got mixed results.

I bought 6 sets. First set was absolutely amazing. The other 5, however, were a disappointment unfortunately.

So for me, it was a consistency issue. But this was several years ago and may no longer be the case today :) 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Hmm. I've got Masterclass on my Stonebridge and I think they're great. They're not overly bright and for me sound 'played in' straight away and keep their tone longer than my previous D'Addarios.
    I've used a couple of sets now and came across them after lots of positive comments about them on here.
    We all have our own tone. I hate Ernie Balls on my electric!
  • The Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze 12-54 are my string of choice on most of my guitars.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited May 2022
    f*&k me,  just for a set of strings o ...............  god help us if you buy another guitar  

in fact,  can you buy an Atkin OM37  or 28 Retro    :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've got them on my Martin.  I like them.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    As a long term Newtone user I’ve followed this thread with interest, I use their SS strings on my tele and strat and wouldn’t now revert back to any other brand. On my 000-28 ec , I’ve used Newtone Heritage round cores for the last six or seven years and again wouldn’t revert back to any other brand as it sounds so good with those strings on.
       However, my Brook Torridge is a different matter, as my arthritis has deteriorated I can no longer finger pick and have to generally play with a plectrum, because of this I put the harsh “brittle” tone down to a change in playing style, rather than using the same strings as on my Martin. So with the Op’s comments in mind I ordered up a set of DR Veritas and restrung the Brook this morning and the difference is night and day.
       I can see how a change in gauge or material would make a difference in tone, but I’m genuinely amazed that simply changing brand has had such an effect.
      Thanks for a really thought provoking post.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom