Plectrums - for electric, acoustic and bass - which types do you prefer

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
I used to use a normal flat plectrum like these, around the time I was trying to see if I could play like Steve Vai

I could never play Eugene's trick bag more than 60% of the speed that Vai can manage

Then I read one day that some of the best players use smaller, thicker picks to have more control
After some experiments I switched to the 3mm Stubby 
I feel it slowed me down, and makes me decide more carefully what notes to play, and I play with more subtle phrasing, more of a Dave Gilmour approach rather than Jimmy Page, for example. Sometimes I rough up one edge to make it easier to get the harmonic screech effect often used by Billy Gibbons, although I can do that (with a little more effort) without roughing up the plectrum 

On acoustic I switched to playing with nails and skin for many years. I'd tried plastic plectrums, wood, and many shapes and sizes. Recently, I bought an amazingly good Brazilian/Adirondack Dread, and got the old big thin plectrums out to try, it sounds great playing the big Neil Young and Roy Harper pieces, the thickness of the pick makes a big difference though, so that needed fine tuning

I realised recently that with some of the higher-gain OD tones on my Axefx, the pick noise can get loud, and that using a large, thinner pick can help reduce that pick noise sound, albeit encouraging me to play a bit more sloppily.

The biggest dilemma for me has been how to play bass when I've got fingernails on my right hand to play classical and acoustic. I tried playing with my thumb, which made a nice sound, but is very slow. I tried silk gloves, but they wore through in about an hour. I tried felt picks, and other large ones.
I had a brainwave recently, and decided to try one of those coated DIY gloves on my right hand, but they are a bit too sticky

I was having a play with my new 5 string bass last week, and tried using the 3mm stubby.
I was really pleased - lots of control on timing, volume and tone

Does anyone else use 3mm stubbys for playing bass?
What other plectrums should I try for bass?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I use the tortex 0.88mm ones for electric guitar and when I've had to play bass. Then I use the 0.73mm ones for acoustic as its got that flappy-ness for that percussive clickiness Iike when strumming as I rarely pick the strings when playing acoustic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    1mm tortex on electric, acoustic and bass these days. I get 100 packs of D'addario ones from Amazon for £20. When the tip wears down they get relegated to bass. I sometimes use 1mm nylon on acoustic
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Red tortex for 10% of the time. Fingernails for most of the time. Fingertips for bass, flat of the fingers for eub.

I played bass and nylon string classical guitars exclusively for years. 

I can't play single strings with a plectrum. I really struggled on electric until I realised Andy pgs used his nails like a pick. Thank you Andy.

• CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    If I'm just strumming by myself on acoustic, I like the warmth of Nylon, 0.6 - 1mm depending on how loud/late I want to play or how responsive the guitar is. 

1mm Nylon seems to be a good all-rounder when mixing strumming with flat picking. 

Live, recording, or playing with others I've come to prefer the percussive attack and edge of 0.6 or 0.73mm Tortex. Cuts through a mix much better than Nylon. Other guitarists have encouraged me to try a thicker pick for a 'fuller' tone but I find things get too thick and boomy with little of the crisp rhythmic attack cutting through. I also prefer the feel and response of the thinner Tortex picks when playing rhythm, especially snappy muted parts. 

I think it depends on the style of music - thick picks sound right for bluegrass but not for pop, soul, R&B and funk rhythm IMO. 

For electric I like 0.88mm Tortex (the tone perfectly matches that of my fingers when hybrid picking). For me it's a very dynamic pick capable of soft warmth with a light touch and good attack and edge when digging in. If I want a brighter attack I'll use a 0.73mm Tortex. 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    edited May 2022
    I used to use a Dunlop 0.8mm nylon for strumming. But I wanted to play Gypsy Jazz and that needs a heavy pick to get the right sound. So I bought a huge selection of picks and ended up with a 1.14mm Dunlop nylon as my favoured choice. It has a balance of volume, accuracy and a strong hint of brilliance that I like and none of that annoying click you get from thinner picks.

As ever, each to their own.

Never did get the hang of Gypsy Jazz. Maybe some time this century?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    edited May 2022
    Electric: Yellow tortex or the dimpled end of a Herco 75, but fingers probably 80% of the time
    Acoustic: 50% fingers, otherwise Fender heavy tortoiseshell or occasionally yellow tortex
    Bass: fingers 98% of the time, yellow tort pin those 2% of times 

The above is all for home playing when I'm being "me". If I'm playing covers with a band then I'll use a pick much more of the time

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    0.96 Dunlop Delrin 500 for guitar.

0.46 Dunlop Delrin 500 for the rare occasion I use one on bass.

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    edited May 2022
    V Pick Euro on all my electrics 
    V Pick Jalapeño or Dunlop jazz ultex XL on acoustic 
    Tip of my first finger on bass
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    After lots of experimentation, I'm pack with 1.5mm (purple) delrin from Dunlop for both electric and acoustic.

I don't like that clicky sound you get from thin plectrums.

I think everyone needs to play with a properly thick plectrum for a while.  It improves your technique because you have to learn to be accurate and pick with the tip of it.  With a thin one, you can get away with hitting the strings halfway up the pick.  I used to break a lot of strings doing that.  I haven't broken a string for years now.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    1mm TIII for electric guitar is my go to, but I have an assortment of shapes/sizes/materials for recording.

For acoustic I find I either use daily thin eg 0.60mm for strumming or pretty thick eg 1mm+ for picking. I find the tone difference more pronounced in acoustic 

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    edited May 2022
    2mm Dunlop Gator Grip when I'm not using my fingers. I changed about 10 years ago. I have an extremely light touch and only play electric 6 string   ...
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 584
    I think the bass player from polyhia uses a Jim dunlop jazz iii for a sort of slap sound and pops with his fingers , hybrid picking style.

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    edited May 2022
    After being advised by my then teacher I started by using Jim Dunlop Petrucci Jazz III's. After a couple of years learning and much experimentation I've settled on JD 0.46mm. It now sounds like I'm actually playing the guitar rather than attacking it with a pick axe. I hold it closer to the POC for picking, and further back for strumming.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    Dunlop Primetone grip small triangle 1.4mm 515-140
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Electric: anything between between 0.8mm and 1.2mm in what’s described as carbon fibre. Standard shape, but I drill holes in them for better grip. I’ve posted this picture before:

Acoustic and bass it’s 100% fingers. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945

I use a red Tortex for acoustic strumming. 0.50mm, I believe :) 

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Grampa said:
    I hold it closer to the POC for picking, and further back for strumming.
    Sorry - POC?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited May 2022
    I only play electric 6 string , when I got back into playing after a 3 decade hiatus I picked up some 3mm big stubbies and loved them, my tutor (yeah it had been a while!) tried to get me onto Jazz III but I couldn’t get used to the thinness but did like the smaller shape so compromised with the smaller 3mm stubbies and really like them, I have tried copper, brass and titanium and liked them all, especially the brass one, but the stubbies are much easier to get hold of (and cheaper) 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Blue chip 35 is great for my tastes on my acoustic,  tried a whole load of theirs with various thickness and size. Settled very happily with the current one.

I have tried most of the rest and I prefer these FWTW
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Grampa said:
    I hold it closer to the POC for picking, and further back for strumming.
    Sorry - POC?
    Sorry, term used in my line of business, POC = Point Of Contact.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???