Wendy Melvoin - Discusses gear used on Purple Rain and shows exactly how the intro is played

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    Anyone care to share their chord shapes for this?

Tab or just chord fingerings (e.g. x x 0 2 3 2 for a D), whatever you have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    edited May 2022

followed by 
    a run down to 

X
    X

then a first postion Andy Summers style F add 9 (5 fret stretch) and an Eb add 9 with the middle finger playing the third...

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    She’s awesome , I was obsessed with her and Lisa as a teenager and as a ‘grown up’ now I can really appreciate what a musical , tasteful player she is . Thanks for posting 
    I really can't imagine for a moment why as a young lad you'd be obsessed with her...
    Apart from her undoubted amazing talent as a musician of course :+1: 

15 Wendy Melvoin Photoshoot Pics

That's her twin sister Susannah.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    She’s awesome , I was obsessed with her and Lisa as a teenager and as a ‘grown up’ now I can really appreciate what a musical , tasteful player she is . Thanks for posting 
    I really can't imagine for a moment why as a young lad you'd be obsessed with her...
    Apart from her undoubted amazing talent as a musician of course :+1: 

15 Wendy Melvoin Photoshoot Pics

That's her twin sister Susannah.

Bugger! Google used to return results related to searches...  :s
    Thanks for the correction  ;)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Wendy's all over Rag 'n Bone man's last album. Great player
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    She's is and always was a brilliant guitar player.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 570
    Thank you ever so much Mr Randall Flagg for introducing me to Wendy Melvin.
    I have just watched a load of stuff on you tube,I had never heard of her before,I don't know why but she is BRILLIANT.
    Thanks once again.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 570
    Sorry predictive text cocked up.    Melvoin
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Finally got to watch it and that was enjoyable.

It was great to see 'Purple Rain' being played properly and we're reminded of what a great funk player she is, too. When I saw her live, she switched to funk/slap bass for a number or two and she's no slouch on that, either.

One thing I didn't know was that she played guitar on Sheryl Crow's 'Favorite Mistake'. I love that guitar intro and that's my favourite SC song.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Susannah was married to Doyle Bramhall II.....it didn't end well. Wendy and her sis feature on his first couple of records too. This ACL performance had both the sisters on stage, Wendy is playing bass....

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778
    That had come up on my YouTube feed but it’s on the Vertex channel and he is such a knob so I’ve not watched it. Although if she talks about where to buy the best Welsh cakes then it will be worth a watch…

Yea. That whole rebranding Chinese pedals and selling them for 4x the price and denying it for days was the worst. Muppet. 

There was a big one around 2010 with a boutique wah pedal, that the artist tied in with it, but had no involvement with the building and supplying of pedals, was forced to get involved in, and even refund people out of his own pocket over. 
    That was Vertex.

A BBE wah rebranded and sold for a huge mark up.

Michael Landau was the guy who issued an apology and offered to refund anyone who couldn't get a refund on his Vertex sig. pedals from Vertex direct.

Before that there was the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive which turned out to be a reboxed Joyo Ultimate Overdrive with three resistors added.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited May 2022
    euan said:
    When you say most boutique builders…can you name more than two examples here?
    Don't hold your breath. He constantly makes outlandish claims and never backs them up when asked to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Why has she chosen Vertex to build her the board? They seem to have done a good job, but there are plenty of other places that would have done it.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Strat54 said:
    Susannah was married to Doyle Bramhall II.....it didn't end well. Wendy and her sis feature on his first couple of records too. This ACL performance had both the sisters on stage, Wendy is playing bass....

Great.  I enjoyed that.  He looks like he’s one of those lefties who plays with the strings the wrong way up a la Eric Gayles (not quite as good as EG though!)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Kebabkid said:

One thing I didn't know was that she played guitar on Sheryl Crow's 'Favorite Mistake'. I love that guitar intro and that's my favourite SC song.

Ditto...and that sound she got straight through a Fender Tweed was just awesome.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    Anyone care to share their chord shapes for this?

Tab or just chord fingerings (e.g. x x 0 2 3 2 for a D), whatever you have.
    He pretty much nails it here:
    https://www.anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk/purple-rain/
    The only difference looks like she's doing a mini barre with her little finger on the F chord (to get G&C) which is much easier than the stretch he does!