Fixing combo rattle

jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
I recently picked up a Morgan SW22 (lovely amp!), which has a fairly prominent rattle. I don't notice it in a band situation, but do notice it playing by myself, even at close to rehearsal volumes.
At first I assumed it was tube rattle, but then I heard a rattle when I was plugging in the power cable, which I also hear when tapping the bottom of the chassis. I think it might be a loose screw/nut/whatever in the circuit.
Is there a safe way to track this down myself, or does this need an amp tech? I'm quite keen to avoid electrocuting myself or blowing up the amp, but a trip to a tech seems like a pain for what could be a loose nut
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Just turn the amp off at the wall without using the standby switch first, unplug the power cable, wait a couple of minutes to be sure, then it will be safe to open it up. Use something insulated - chopstick, plastic pen or something like that - to poke around. If the whatever is loose is obvious enough to be disturbed by plugging in the power cable it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
    Thanks @ICBM - having taken the chassis out it was quickly apparent that it's a super rattly valve
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom