Identify / value amp

What's Hot
MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
I've received a WhatsApp from a friend and former colleague.  His neighbour passed away recently and he was asked by the widow to look at a couple of amps, my friend asked me for an opinion.  All that he could tell me is that they were old and very heavy.  He's going over tomorrow to have a closer look.  The first was a Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit but it's this one that could be interesting.  I'm no expert but I'm thinking '68 silver face re-issue?  What should my friend be looking out for  / taking pic of?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    No, that's an original 1968-1972 Pro Reverb.

The valve chart on the inside of the cabinet round the back may have a date code on it which could date it accurately, or if not then the transformer codes which are visible with good lighting, without taking it apart.

At this point I would take a good pic or two of the inside of the back, showing the speakers and upwards towards the transformers - that should identify anything major which looks non-original. After that it would be best to get a tech to check it over and advise on what may have been changed, or work needing done. DO NOT TURN IT ON TO SEE IF IT WORKS at this point - if it hasn't been used for years and the filter caps have dried out or leaked, damage may occur which can be avoided if it's checked over first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    ICBM said:
    No, that's an original 1968-1972 Pro Reverb.

The valve chart on the inside of the cabinet round the back may have a date code on it which could date it accurately, or if not then the transformer codes which are visible with good lighting, without taking it apart.

At this point I would take a good pic or two of the inside of the back, showing the speakers and upwards towards the transformers - that should identify anything major which looks non-original. After that it would be best to get a tech to check it over and advise on what may have been changed, or work needing done. DO NOT TURN IT ON TO SEE IF IT WORKS at this point - if it hasn't been used for years and the filter caps have dried out or leaked, damage may occur which can be avoided if it's checked over first.
    Much obliged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Update

I got to see the amp last night.  It is in very good condition.  we believe it to be a 1972 model and it's in better shape at 50 than I was.  It had already been turned on recently so, after some discussion / visual inspection, we took the plunge and fired it up.

It sounds bloody gorgeous. I normally perform with a modeller / IEM so it’s always a special moment when I get to play for myself through a real amp, but this was something else.

The reverb doesn’t appear to be working, which could be something as simple as the foot switch, but I think that the next step should be to take it to an Amp Tech.  It was service about 15 years ago and hasn’t been gigged since, so probably much wear on the valves.  The Tech that serviced it is still going and is someone that I know and trust.

So what next?  Well, despite explain to the Widow about its potential value, I’ve basically be offered it for free (it was destined for the tip!).  It was offered to my friend, he doesn’t want it and it’s been offered to me.  If I were to take it (I don’t need it, I couldn’t normally gig with it as I also carry the PA, I can’t crank it up at home to record and I’ve been threatened with domestic violence should it ever follow me home) then I’d feel obliged to pay the widow what it’s worth.  Otherwise I’ll look to move it on to a good home at again pass the proceeds to her.

So the question – what would be the value ‘as is’ and after servicing and any idea of a ballpark for a service?  I’ve seen a couple of historical prices on here but they were a few years ago.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    Musicwolf said:

So what next?  Well, despite explain to the Widow about its potential value, I’ve basically be offered it for free (it was destined for the tip!).  It was offered to my friend, he doesn’t want it and it’s been offered to me.  If I were to take it (I don’t need it, I couldn’t normally gig with it as I also carry the PA, I can’t crank it up at home to record and I’ve been threatened with domestic violence should it ever follow me home) then I’d feel obliged to pay the widow what it’s worth.  Otherwise I’ll look to move it on to a good home at again pass the proceeds to her.

So the question – what would be the value ‘as is’ and after servicing and any idea of a ballpark for a service?  I’ve seen a couple of historical prices on here but they were a few years ago.

Ignoring the technical aspects this can be a bit of a minefield where it’s quite hard to square your own view of “doing the right thing” with the wishes of the lady concerned and some tact (and possibly a bit of compromise) may be required to navigate it.

We went through a similar thing a few years back when my late father in law, who was a keen model engineer passed away leaving a (literal) shed load of unfinished projects and machine tools with a not inconsiderable financial value. My Mother in Law was adamant that she just wanted the kit to go somewhere it would be enjoyed and appreciated, that she didn’t want to take anyone’s money for stuff associated with something her husband had invested a lot of time, effort, and resources into for the pure love of his hobby, she was/it’s financially secure enough that she didn’t need to, and was genuinely quite upset when some people from the local model engineering society tried a bit too hard to push monkey onto her against her firm, well founded, clearly expressed, and confirmed wishes. We eventually settled on charitable donations…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I'm with @ICBM save for the fact I'd say it's 70-72- as evidenced by no drip edge and a flash rather than non flash logo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    I have one of these that I picked up fairly cheap and can confirm they are wonderful amps, kinda of like a saggy, lower-powered twin. I’m running mine with an original C12q and a reissue c12q which gives helps reduce the weight a smidge!

if it’s original and good condition I’d say it’s worth between 800-1000. Maybe the upper end given people are waking up to how good pro reverbs are.
    My thinking is that I've done nothing to deserve this.  I never met the owner, I haven't yet met the widow (the amps have relocated to my friend's garage).  It's not as though I've ever helped them in any way.  I'm also financially comfortable so I'm not deserving in that way either.

The widow hasn't, to my knowledge, even expressed a wish that it go to a good home - she just wanted rid.  She's keeping hold of his guitar (a Squire Strat) for sentimental reasons.

My view is that either she should be given at least some money or, if she doesn't want it, then it can go to a good cause.  Either that or the amp itself can go directly to someone deserving.  My former colleague, who was a friend to the owner, doesn't want it (he doesn't play in a band and is happy with his set up).  I would like it but I have no real need and it's not as though I was already looking to buy a large valve amp.  If I were then, no doubt, it would one already be sitting here in my little studio.  If it does come to live with me then the most that I could reasonably give, to either the widow or charity, would be maybe a couple of hundred (I've no idea what a service cost would be, maybe I'll give GEE Electronics a call?).

The question is - is a couple of hundred fair?  What is this amp worth on the open market?
    tomajoha said:

if it’s original and good condition I’d say it’s worth between 800-1000. Maybe the upper end given people are waking up to how good pro reverbs are.
    My first indication to the Widow was £800+, I also guessed that service / full set of valves (which it may not need) might be in the region of £300?  From that I deduced that someone buying 'as seen', and therefore taking onboard all of the risk, might only offer £200?

• blobbblobb Frets: 2947
    could you raffle it? She gets rid, someone who wants one gets one for a few quid. charity of her choice gets the raffle proceeds.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:
    could you raffle it? She gets rid, someone who wants one gets one for a few quid. charity of her choice gets the raffle proceeds.
    Creative thinking but I feel that I'd be getting drawn down a rabbit hole.  The problem is that it's a 50 year old amp that hasn't been serviced.  If someone takes it 'as is' then it needs to be someone who uderstands, and accepts, the risk (maybe it needs to be into writing at the point of sale?).  If I'm not going to take it then the best route could be to sell it to a dealer and pass the proceeds on.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Ebay it with a decent accurate description, photos of all the transformers and speakers and a photo of the internals and specify it's collection only.  It'll go for whatever someone is prepared to pay.

It's one of the good Pro Reverbs.  I agree with @Gassage - although I think in 72 they came with castors which I can't spot from the pic.  So maybe 70-71?  Transformer codes will reveal all (assuming they're original).

I'd expect it go to a bit north of £200.  I'd have it in a heartbeat for £200 if it was me and the transformers and speakers were original, but I like a project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    It likely doesn’t need a full revalve anyway, maybe power tubes at most, it could still have the original RCAs in which are pretty robust tubes. If you ask 800-1000 collected on this forum I’m sure someone will snap it up, they really are excellent amps. That will give the widow a nice little bit of cash in these troubled times.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7118
    Bearing in mind the cash is going to a good cause , could we have some sort of eBay style auction with a fixed end date ? 

The bids are posted on the thread , everyone goes in with their eyes open and someone here gets it (hopefully someone with the skills or contacts to get it up straight). The lady gets good value for it and no one has to deal with the aggro that is EBay ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    Musicwolf said:

So what next?  Well, despite explain to the Widow about its potential value, I’ve basically be offered it for free (it was destined for the tip!).  It was offered to my friend, he doesn’t want it and it’s been offered to me.  If I were to take it (I don’t need it, I couldn’t normally gig with it as I also carry the PA, I can’t crank it up at home to record and I’ve been threatened with domestic violence should it ever follow me home) then I’d feel obliged to pay the widow what it’s worth.

You don't need to play it loud to get the benefit of its beautiful clean tone - they're very controllable down to whisper volume.

My opinion on the valuation is that since you've been entirely honest with the widow and she wanted to give it to you for free, splitting the difference at half its value is fair, and covers you for any service work it does subsequently need - but it's a decision you have to make for yourself.

tomajoha said:
    I have one of these that I picked up fairly cheap and can confirm they are wonderful amps, kinda of like a saggy, lower-powered twin. I’m running mine with an original C12q and a reissue c12q which gives helps reduce the weight a smidge!

They're often described as the "poor man's Twin" - and the later 70W master volume ones very much are, both in tone and weight! - but these earlier valve-rectified 40W ones are much more like a "double Deluxe", to me.

If it's all-original bar minor servicing - either from before or after it gets looked at again - I would agree with that valuation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Sell it to Joe Bonamassa and split the winnings.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Re value- that should be the 40w (70w change happened 76 ish) with a proper cab (not the MDF rubbish of the UL years) and once caps and so on sorted, £1300-1600 should be relatively easy to achieve. A dealer would have it at 1800-2000.

The pro is a hidden gem amongst Fenders- Twin punch, DR vols. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    ^Agreed.
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    Contact ATB guitars with photos of the rear of the amp they will be able to help you.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    It would say "pro reverb amp" on the faceplate if it was a 70 or 71, I reakon 72 or later. Is the baffle attached with screws from the inside or is it glued into the cabinet? I think Fender changed to a glued baffle around 73/74. 

Nice amp! Looks in great condition  :)

• strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Oh, there should be a code stamped into the chassis on the right at the back, should be something like A1xxxx. You can check what year it is here -  - http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm