Taylor Academy 12-N

What's Hot
Downsizing a lot of my gear, but am considering the Taylor Academy 12-N for a bit of fun noodling.  Any owners on here, or anyone played/demo'd one? I'm a leftie... so haven't seen one but I'm assured by Taylor they do ship this model for southpaws.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/academy-12-n
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @stevedunn ; - what are your plans? Order and get it shipped, or find one to try In-store? :) 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2955
    stevedunn said:
    Downsizing a lot of my gear, but am considering the Taylor Academy 12-N for a bit of fun noodling.  Any owners on here, or anyone played/demo'd one? I'm a leftie... so haven't seen one but I'm assured by Taylor they do ship this model for southpaws.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/academy-12-n

I didn't buy one, I went for a Hanika instead, I was extremely disapointed with it, Taylor do not make good nylon string/classical guitars, their steel string acoustics are great, but their nylon string guitars leave a lot to be desired, and I'm not just talking about their Academy series of nylon string guitsrs either, the 312-N is a truly terrible nylon string guitar, I was amazed Taylor would put their branding on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    I did exactly what you're planning, got one for 'fun noodling,' but didn't much care for it. Playability was good, but tone was totally boring and characterless. I've now got a Cordoba C5-CET for the same purpose, which is not only cheaper, but, for me, sounds better and much more fun to play. My only possible regret is that I should perhaps have got the CE version rather than the CET thinline, but then its compact nature is part of the appeal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Also tried one, quite liked it as a sofa guitar but it's plunky and pricey for what it is and I concluded a proper classical would be better.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    Yeh. Taylor not totally well known for classicals. Cordoba/Alhambra/Yamaha will give you a better choice Steve. And never forget Ramirez. You think top end, and they are, but they make some really good mid range instruments too like the 1NE, Estudio and 130anos. I have a 125anos and, when I was playing classical more and in an ensemble, it was more than good enough for performing in that way.
  • stevedunnstevedunn Frets: 1
    Wow, thanks guys.... completely surprised with your assessments, but much appreciated!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I played the Academy 12 steel string and was astonished how good it was for their bottom line model
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 168
    There's a Cordoba C9 parlour on eBay at the moment which looks good value.  Perfect couch guitar perhaps  No connection to the seller.