Help needed with wiring in pickups..Yet again..lol

What's Hot
KevSKevS Frets: 477
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
OK Guitar 1

..I Wired everything up,,no treble and the Tone control does nothing..
this is on all 3 pickups on a Strat,,wired with a master tone and master volume,,so 2 pots / controls..

Have I killed the capacitor ? or has a wire came off ?,or is it something else ?...
Even with Flux still having trouble with a CTS pot I sanded and scuffed up,,then cleaned..
Nightmare ,,so it could be that..GRRR!!!
My soldering Iron is a gas one that gets pretty hot..450 c

I may get it wrong a lot,,but I am learning..  lol

Guitar 2....

Middle Pickup only on another Strat,,,Terrible touching Crackle..
It doesn't happen when I touch the other 2 Pickups..
I tried painting the pole pieces and even the screw with clear nail varnish..
It didn't solve the problem...

It is a Texas Special Pickup..
I have another Texas Special Middle pickup.. 
Is it the Pickup or the wiring that is dodgy...

The other pickups no matter what I do don't frazzle and crackle like the middle one....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Guitar 1 sounds like you've shorted the tone pot - probably just a bent terminal or a bit of bare wire touching the ground. If the cap was dead, the tone control would act as another volume. Worst case is that you've cooked the pot, although that's usually harder to do than you think...

Guitar 2 sounds like there's a short between the coil winding and one or more of the polepieces. If it's a RWRP pickup, the hot end of the coil may be at the inner end. The only solution to this (without rewinding the pickup) is to reverse hot and ground on all three pickups - but that may (as already discussed) alter the sound. If you have another pickup, I would try using it first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    ICBM said:
    Guitar 1 sounds like you've shorted the tone pot - probably just a bent terminal or a bit of bare wire touching the ground. If the cap was dead, the tone control would act as another volume. Worst case is that you've cooked the pot, although that's usually harder to do than you think...

Guitar 2 sounds like there's a short between the coil winding and one or more of the polepieces. If it's a RWRP pickup, the hot end of the coil may be at the inner end. The only solution to this (without rewinding the pickup) is to reverse hot and ground on all three pickups - but that may (as already discussed) alter the sound. If you have another pickup, I would try using it first.
    Thanks... :)
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    Both Guitars sorted..Yeehah..

The one with the non working tone pot,it was the bare and green wire to the volume pot on a JB Junior..

The other Strat I swapped the Pickup and the Frazzling crackle stopped thank Feck..

Itchy hands myself now..Maybe the Flux..
    Although I just smelled a Pine type smell..