Recommended me a laptop for first time DAW usage

I've been dabbling with caustic and koala on my phone and would like to pick up a laptop to use a DAW.

What machine would you recommend, I'd personally prefer refurbished, trying to keep the spend lower than €800.

Let me know 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    For what it's worth I was looking at a refurb MacBook air for €429.... I figure I get garageband from the start with that
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Macbook Pro A1502 or the larger more powerful A1398 is the best used Apple laptops to buy ... very capable machines and more reliable and better equipped port wise than the later USB C models 

Windows wise, need to be careful as it's only the corporate machines that are any good, the high street stuff is junk and prone to all kinds of problems. Something like a Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude, HP Probook rather than Acer, Asus, cheap Toshiba etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I've always been a tower pc guy, except for the last 10 years, I've survived on a crap netbook and a decent grey market phone.

Should I worry about the age of the Mac's, will I be shut out of the eco system with updates?
    Zonular said:
    It's not bad, tad more than Ebay prices but you would expect that for one that comes with warranty. That version with the basic Intel graphics is the best choice for audio work too. I have one, an older one from 2012  and out of the 6 Macbook Pro's I own it's still the nicest one to use. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Stupid question the air 2017 I had mentioned, that's a little cheaper, much difference? Or is it raw horsepower 
    Zonular said:
    Stupid question the air 2017 I had mentioned, that's a little cheaper, much difference? Or is it raw horsepower 
    The 2017 Macbook Air was relatively unchanged since the 2013 model. It has great battery life and any idiot can swap the battery because it's screwed in. However it's designed for portability and long battery life. The fan is smaller and the board  has less thermal mass than a Pro .... so even if it's similar spec it won't run as fast because a Mac's speed is governed by the SMC chip which gets readings from all over the machine and adjusts accordingly. 
    So I would go for the Pro 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1093
    you will get loads more with latest macbook air M1 chip. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    Cool! I had nearly pulled the trigger on the iPad pro as computer music had a issue a few months ago evangelising 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1093
    think they go for around 6-700 sh and will get a better return on resale than older models. m1 air pretty much best laptop available. I cant tell difference vs an £1800 new macbook pro with m1max with 16gb. wish id gone for the air. one on e bay currently at 555 with 4 hrs on auctoin to go.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    Buying 2nd hand frlm a private seller then adding import tax puts me off, but Ill have a hunt around
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited May 2022
    Forgive me if this is out of place but I'm selling a 2015 Mac book Pro with 16GB Ram and fast processor if it's of any interest. Some small issues with it (right speaker doesn't work) and minor cosmetic issues but generally working fine. I'd take £400 delivered. Perfect for recording music, garage band is great. Just thought I'd put it out there.  
    Forgive me if this is out of place but I'm selling a 2015 Mac book Pro with 16GB Ram and fast processor if it's of any interest. Some small issues with it (right speaker doesn't work) and minor cosmetic issues but generally working fine. I'd take £400 delivered. Perfect for recording music, garage band is great. Just thought I'd put it out there.  
    Hey, no offense taken, tbh the exchange rate to euro, doesn't make it worth it, that's about 470 to me