Surely the Boss of Bass?

What's Hot
NibulniblinNibulniblin Frets: 183
My first visit here - I'm a Strat/Tele player - but happened upon this piece of unbelievable musicianship and invention which may not have reached this forum. yet.  Gasp.  :)

The Future is simply time waiting to become History.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7110
    The guy is unbelievable. My son plays bass and showed me a couple of his sillier jokey slap videos and I dismissed him a bit as another internet celebrity.  Since then I’ve luckily seen a few others where he is actually playing and he is soooo musical . I’m guessing he is in high demand for sessions and not just you tubing ?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    Normally I would say that Bass Players who slap should themselves be slapped, however, this clever little bastard actually sounds good.  Just a pity that he's unacceptably Ginger.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    He's really good, obviously. But I couldn't listen to it for more than a couple of minutes unless it was in a mid-90s racing game. 

But honestly OP doesn't include McCartner, Dunn, Jameson so it's moot. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Charles is awesome. Genuinely up there with Victah.

His arrangements are very clever. Never loses sight of the tune itself. I hope he gets all the sessions work he can cope with.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Awesome musician. Capable of writing nice melodies and arrangements and playing seemingly anything on bass
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1327
    Crazily skillful. 
    BUT...
    I can't count the amount of lead bass players I've encountered over the years and resultant band drama. 

Too loud, toppy bass trampling all over the guitar frequencies, over-playing, no pocket, slap at every available opportunity
    (mercifully Billy Sheehan tapping less so...).

There are times I truly wish Flea had never picked up the instrument and put a sock on his willy.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Billy Sheehan wannabes never seem to understand that 99% of his work is solid traditional bass playing.

He does a massive amount of session work in a wide range of genres because he’s very good at that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Amazing player. I've posted a few threads about him in the past.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Yes an amazing player. I've followed his channel for quite a while now, after finding out about him on this forum.

It's not a competition.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    The real trouble with bass players like this is that many many guitarists don't like bass players that are more talented and more musical than they* are ;)

*we
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    Very talented, and a very musical piece. That said, I can't help but think that this would sound better if it featured a whole load of other instruments instead of everything being on bass. I can hear a soul singer really knocking the melody out of the park, I can hear keyboard stabs, bit of funk guitar on there. No need for a "bass only" composition to exist in the world anywhere, ever, IMHO!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I saw some of his stuff last year, nice bloke and very impressive.
    I suppose the flashier stuff is the equivalent of many guitar solos, i.e. impressive but not something most people would like to hear very often during a song
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Jamaaladeen Tacuma is the Boss Of The Bass. Gramavision, 1991.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    dazzajl said:
    The real trouble with bass players like this is that many many guitarists don't like bass players that are more talented and more musical than they* are ;)

*we
    If it was down to individual musicians you'd have a metal guitarist, a funk bass player and a jazz drummer all playing over each other
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    And some singer doing acrobatic runs over the whole thing
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I don't know much about bass but I quite often watch Charles Berthoud's channel.  His playing's mindboggling but somehow if seems fun (and musical), nit just showing off for the sake of it.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen his channel, Davie504's another great YouTube bass player (with an enormous number of subscribers).  

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    roberty said:
    dazzajl said:

*we
    If it was down to individual musicians you'd have a metal guitarist, a funk bass player and a jazz drummer all playing over each other
    I was that bass player  :3
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't know much about bass but I quite often watch Charles Berthoud's channel.  His playing's mindboggling but somehow if seems fun (and musical), nit just showing off for the sake of it.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen his channel, Davie504's another great YouTube bass player (with an enormous number of subscribers).  

I have to admit that I find Davie504 a bit too arrogant and annoying, although he's clearly very good. Charles is just a really nice guy.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Those guys are good.. but there is only one funk daddy.