Surely the Boss of Bass?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Here's where he got the funk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Very talented, and a very musical piece. That said, I can't help but think that this would sound better if it featured a whole load of other instruments instead of everything being on bass. I can hear a soul singer really knocking the melody out of the park, I can hear keyboard stabs, bit of funk guitar on there. No need for a "bass only" composition to exist in the world anywhere, ever, IMHO!
    It's not a record, it's a demo piece.

I think it's pretty obvious from his timing, sense of melody and his taste that he'd do a perfectly appropriate and classy job in a regular band context. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23908
    Very talented, and a very musical piece. That said, I can't help but think that this would sound better if it featured a whole load of other instruments instead of everything being on bass. I can hear a soul singer really knocking the melody out of the park, I can hear keyboard stabs, bit of funk guitar on there. No need for a "bass only" composition to exist in the world anywhere, ever, IMHO!
    Guitar only compositions are equally dull.

Come to think of it, unless the composition is JS Bach level, almost all single instrument pieces other than for piano are not as much fun as a bigger arrangement.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788

Come to think of it, unless the composition is JS Bach level, almost all single instrument pieces other than for piano are not as much fun as a bigger arrangement.
    I used to buy and listen to all of Martin Taylor's CDs
    Eventually I started to dislike the fast ones where he simultaneously plays the bass parts as well as the melody and chords - I'd rather have an actual bass player
    Like this one

I still like the Pat Metheny "One quiet night" stuff though
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23908

Eventually I started to dislike the fast ones where he simultaneously plays the bass parts as well as the melody and chords - I'd rather have an actual bass player
    Like this one

I still like the Pat Metheny "One quiet night" stuff though

As technically impressive as that is, and Tommy Emmanuel etc I find it dull as ditchwater. 
    I remember someone describing as watching someone doing high level maths. It is really impressive, but it's also devoid of fun.

I love watching musicians play together, reacting to each other.

But I do like singers when they are backed by only 1 instrument. Probably because it's 2 instruments really and there is interplay between them. Even if it is a solo performer the way the player approaches the voice and the other is different.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    A bit off topic but I don't monitor the bass section that much but has there already been a davie504 thread?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    As technically impressive as that is, and Tommy Emmanuel etc I find it dull as ditchwater. 
    I remember someone describing as watching someone doing high level maths. ....
    That's the other Martin Taylor. :)