Gibson Dove update

What's Hot
MellishMellish Frets: 945
edited May 2022 in Acoustics
So, how am I getting on with it?

I love it. It needs a setup as I've said elsewhere, but even without it's OK to gig with. The neck is really comfortable. Great tone and a real cannon. I just love every thing about it. 

I knew in the store that I had to have it and it  hasn't disappointed  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GomersGomers Frets: 17
    Glad it's working out for you buddy, it'll probably be even better post set-up.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Gomers said:
    Glad it's working out for you buddy, it'll probably be even better post set-up.
    Cheers mate :).

Yes, that's the plan, pro setup after it's settled into its new home.

I was sad to see the HD-28 go. I'm a big Martin fan but what they've done with their Reimagined series just doesn't work for me.

So I got this and, so far, I'm loving it :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    Mellish said:

I was sad to see the HD-28 go. I'm a big Martin fan but what they've done with their Reimagined series just doesn't work for me.
    Me too.

That said, and despite many of my ‘best ever’ acoustic sounds on records being Martins, the Dove is the one which delivers that for me, when I play it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM ; - I compared my HD-28 to the Dove In-store.

The Martin had been professionally set up, everything spot-on. Although it needs a setup, the Dove was a good deal louder. That surprised me because the Reimagined HD-28 (with its forward shifted bracing) packs a punch.

Tone is subjective but, to my ears, this Dove won that battle, too. But what really swung it was the neck profile. Tbh I'd mainly got used to the Martin's soft V, but I was always going to be fighting it a wee bit. 

There's nothing about this Dove to struggle with, so a better choice for me :) 
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Glad to hear it's working out for you mate, they're fantastic guitars and I'd love to own one some day. 

Round profile Gibson necks just feel like home to me. 
    @Cryptid ; - cheers buddy.

Yes, I'm feeling I did the right thing. I now have a guitar that I'm not struggling with, and I've given the HD-28 (that I *was* struggling with) the chance to find the right owner :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5407
    edited May 2022
    Mellish said:
     and I've given the HD-28 (that I *was* struggling with) the chance to find the right owner  
    Damn shame it wasn't me.   I'm a big fan of HD-28s.

(But I'm really, really, really not buying any more guitars from now on. Really.)

(Probably.)

(Certainly not until next time.)  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I love Gibson acoustics as well, for the necks. My Martin neck feels a bit weird to me although it is comfortable
    edited May 2022
    @Tannin ; - just be aware mate. An HD-28 is a great guitar (or they *can* be because you don't need me to tell you that no two HD-28s are alike) but try that soft V. It might suit but it might not .

@roberty ; - I've had many Gibsons. Hummingbirds, J45, SJ200. I wouldn't buy one that I hadn't tried first, but I'd say that about *any* brand.

The Reimagined series necks are meaty. There's a lot of wood there. Great if that's what you want but you'll struggle if it isn't, or I did :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    What neck are they putting on Dove's these days? The one I had was a fantastic guitar but I couldn't get used to the neck; it was a slim D with a wider nut. I should've measured it, but definitely more than the 1-11/16" I'm used to 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited May 2022
    Martin are normally more than 1 11/16 these days as well.  They are pretty much all 1 3/4" now.

Regarding the OPs comment about the volume, what you hear when playing isn't necessarily how it projects.  I had a Furch 12 fret dreadnought for a while, which sounded louder to me while playing than my Martin.  A dB meter across the room told a different story.  The Martin was around 3dB louder.
    edited May 2022
    @stickyfiddle ; - I have the Dove Original in Vintage Cherry Sunburst. I'd say its neck is a Round profile, very comfortable  

@crunchman ; - yes, though friends tell me that this Dove, projects well  
    What neck are they putting on Dove's these days? The one I had was a fantastic guitar but I couldn't get used to the neck; it was a slim D with a wider nut. I should've measured it, but definitely more than the 1-11/16" I'm used to 
    Just measured mine - 2008 model, I can't say about the newer ones - I thought it was 1-11/16", but it's actually 1-23/32". It's what I would call a slim C and is *just* at the upper limit of what I find comfortable - it is, but even a tiny bit wider wouldn't be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    Cheers chaps. I think it was more the flat D profile that did for me, rather than the width 

I would love another if I can find one with a neck I connect with
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I'm coming from an HD-28 Reimagined and comparing a Dove to that.

I mustn't be unkind cos I loved my HD-28 but the Dove has freed me up made playing a good  deal easier. There's plenty of room at the nut, so my fretting hand doesn't feel full of neck anymore. That was one thing I didn't like :) 

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1834
    I'm usually an Imperial numbers man but guitar necks only talk to me in mm as I am a late starter in life.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5407
    11/16ths = just under 43mm
    23/32nds is a weird size,  43.6mm 
    3/4s is 44.5mm

Most acoustics seem to be 44mm or 44.5mm these days. 
    Tannin said:

23/32nds is a weird size,  43.6mm
    Yes - not a normal specification, so I suspect it's a manufacturing variance. It is definitely that though, I've checked again.

I already know I don't get on with 1-3/4", although it's possible that the profile is part of it - but one that wide and yet shallow enough to feel less big would be unusual, most are also fatter or V-shaped these days.

edited May 2022
    The neck profile on this  Dove I'd have to say...a slimmish  C/D. Hard to be precise but it's round about there

Nut width: 43.81mm
    Measured the nut width again.

Yep, 43.81mm. Weird because it feels narrower. Possibly being fooled by the slim C profile, giving me much more room than I had with the soft V of the HD-28 Re-imagined :)