Hollie Cook new record

What's Hot
Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 979
edited May 2022 in Music
Hollie Cook has a new record coming out - Happy Hour - the singles so far sound brilliant - The band and Hollie Cook have produced it themselves this time (as opposed to Prince Fatty)... can't wait..... would love to see them live. 

A big thank you to @EricTheWeary for steering me in her direction - on his tip I've got into all her records - including the brilliant dub of her second album as well as Prince Fatty's fantastic sounding analogue albums and the Lions - the amazing band that backed her previously (sounding on point and sooo tight in this video)

Any other tips for new reggae acts anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Ahh. I’d noticed she is supporting The Specials and The Beat later in the year so I wondered if she had something coming out. I think when she was on Later she had Horace and John from The Specials as her rhythm section so there’s a previous connection there as well. Her dad was a Sex Pistol. 
    I noticed that Protoje has a new album out, he’s a massive artist in Jamaica. Not heard a note of it as yet, I should investigate. Presumably it’s dancehall so not everyone’s cup of tea. His mum sang Breakfast in Bed which was a U.K. hit in 1972. 

[If only one of my parents had been a musician!]

My youngest son has ‘discovered’ reggae at uni in Leeds and likes State of Satta who are from that area although seem to gig all over the place. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    https://imgur.com/a/mUgF5Av

That was it. Bit far for me unfortunately. 
  • Ahh. I’d noticed she is supporting The Specials and The Beat later in the year so I wondered if she had something coming out. I think when she was on Later she had Horace and John from The Specials as her rhythm section so there’s a previous connection there as well. Her dad was a Sex Pistol. 
    I noticed that Protoje has a new album out, he’s a massive artist in Jamaica. Not heard a note of it as yet, I should investigate. Presumably it’s dancehall so not everyone’s cup of tea. His mum sang Breakfast in Bed which was a U.K. hit in 1972. 

My youngest son has ‘discovered’ reggae at uni in Leeds and likes State of Satta who are from that area although seem to gig all over the place. 
    Ah Brilliant - hope your lads enjoying Leeds. Is he a musician Eric What does he study?  He's not following in his old mans footsteps and becoming a social worker is he?

I saw Protoje on Jools - he's quite traditional - to my ear certainly more roots than anything else. 

Hollie Cook certainly has good pedigree. The new record sounds great -   Prince Fatty's records sound fantastic - but they've produced this one and it sounds a bit more 'live' which is no bad thing as the band are great. I think Hollie Cook was in the Slits as well briefly - a band I've only recently discovered. Incredible drummer. Viv Albertine - the guitar player - has a brilliant book out - I am sure this is old news to most. 
    Ahh. I’d noticed she is supporting The Specials and The Beat later in the year so I wondered if she had something coming out. I think when she was on Later she had Horace and John from The Specials as her rhythm section so there’s a previous connection there as well. Her dad was a Sex Pistol. 

Ah Brilliant - hope your lads enjoying Leeds. Is he a musician Eric What does he study?  He's not following in his old mans footsteps and becoming a social worker is he?

I saw Protoje on Jools - he's quite traditional - to my ear certainly more roots than anything else. 

Hollie Cook certainly has good pedigree. The new record sounds great -   Prince Fatty's records sound fantastic - but they've produced this one and it sounds a bit more 'live' which is no bad thing as the band are great. I think Hollie Cook was in the Slits as well briefly - a band I've only recently discovered. Incredible drummer. Viv Albertine - the guitar player - has a brilliant book out - I am sure this is old news to most. 
    My son is at film school. Not great on the career prospects but who knows. All his flat mates are at the school of music there and in various bands so they are who he hangs around with and films them. 
    The link is broken in the OP and it came up on my YouTube feed today so I’ll repost. It’s an in studio performance and interview. It’s a really lovely performance.

• The link is broken in the OP and it came up on my YouTube feed today so I’ll repost. It’s an in studio performance and interview. It’s a really lovely performance.

thank you Eric - really appreciate it. I thought the performance warranted posting as the band are so tight..... really on it I think. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1120
    I hadn't heard of her. Thanks for posting this, I love it.
  • I hadn't heard of her. Thanks for posting this, I love it.
    @EricTheWeary put me on to it - if your into this I'd check out Price Fatty's first albums (survival of the fattest and supersize) he produced the records and uses old school analogue gear to get that really warm sound and the Lions (jungle struttin', this generation and soul riot) - they are (mostly) the band Hollie is playing with here. All brilliant sounding records 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Twice was a brilliant album...looking forward to checking this out :-)
    I noticed that Hollie is playing Glastonbury. My guess is that she’s too far down the pecking order to get on the telly but with a bit of luck her set might be on the iPlayer eventually. 
  • I noticed that Hollie is playing Glastonbury. My guess is that she’s too far down the pecking order to get on the telly but with a bit of luck her set might be on the iPlayer eventually. 
    Thanks Eric.... I'll keep an eye out. I'd love to see her - I had tickets to go to a small reggae festival she was headlining in Liverpool (only half an hour up the road from me) two years ago but it got COVID'ed..... I appreciate you putting me on to her/Prince Fatty btw..... its been a rich seam to mine! 
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 965
    edited June 2022
    @Placidcasual79  I recently went to see David Rodigan and the outlook orchestra at Kenwood House on Hampstead heath and Hollie Cook was one of the support acts…she was superb and I’ve watched and listened to a lot of her stuff on you tube so was looking forward to seeing her…on the same bill were Gentleman.s Dub Club..a different vibe but well worth checking out …as mentioned Protoje is superb as is Chronixx and Tarrus Riley…also Koffee …again a different vibe but great stuff. 
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom