Ziricote fretboard finish

What's Hot

I have a raw Ziricote fretboard and I'd like to apply a finish. I have tried some oils and all they seem to do is smudge and darken the wood and reduce the effect of the lovely figuring. I Understand the wood it naturally oily.
Can anyone recommend a good finish that doesn't darken the wood too much please? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 456
    I've looked into this a bit as I'm using ziricote on my upcoming build. I found a thread where people were complaining about the same thing, oil making it look smudged and dark.  In the end the person used micromesh to 12k and then Liberon Black Bison wax and found that worked well.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    It will always darken some, even just with wax.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    idiotwind said:
    I've looked into this a bit as I'm using ziricote on my upcoming build. I found a thread where people were complaining about the same thing, oil making it look smudged and dark.  In the end the person used micromesh to 12k and then Liberon Black Bison wax and found that worked well.
    I tried some Liberton BB wax as I have a tin and some renaissance wax. The Liberton It did an OK job, but over time the off cut I used did darken alot from touching it.

I think I'm going to have to accept it will just darken and lose the detail. 

Not going to use it again for a fretboard, that's for sure. 

It's a great fretboard wood even when you can't see the patterns.   The darker stuff is the higher grade, more natural oils.  
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Why not just leave it raw?  I have a guitar with a Ziricote fingerboard and I just treat it as I would a rosewood one.  @WezV made it for me, so he would know if it ever had any treatment.  It is the black John Brich style SG

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It probably had a light oil, no more than that  but I picked that piece because it was nice and dark compared to others I had in at the time.

The headstock shows a lacquered piece