OK Computer deep dive

What's Hot
english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
Anybody else listened to this? Nigel Godrich doing a track-by-track breakdown of the album with some nerdy production nuggets sprinkled in. Fascinating stuff, including all the tracks in full so you can listen out for all the stuff he tells you is there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017rhn

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    Ooh, nice. Will have to have a listen
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3683
    Listening now by coincidence. Some amazing insights; I'd always thought Exit Music should have been used for Luhrman's (sp?) Romeo and Juliet but never realised that it was actually written for it.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    drofluf said:
    Listening now by coincidence. Some amazing insights; I'd always thought Exit Music should have been used for Luhrman's (sp?) Romeo and Juliet but never realised that it was actually written for it.

I remember going to see Romeo + Juliet with a group of friends and refusing to leave the cinema when it started playing over the end titles. It being 1997 there was barely any such thing as the Internet so I had no idea the song was going to be in the film, and OK Computer was still a month or so from release. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Thanks - will need to listen to this.

Amazing album, to this day.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    My favourite insight was that the electric piano track on "Subterranean Homesick Alien" is actually two performances spliced together - Thom plays the first couple of verses, but the descending arpeggios later in the song are Jonny. 

The whole show has ruined my pet "Thom Yorke's Head" theory of Radiohead mixing- you can often hear instruments panned left, right and centre in a way that can often plausibly sound like Jonny (left), Thom (centre) and Ed (right), then drums and bass centre (or maybe just a tiny bit to the left...), just as they'd sound if you were able to hear a Radiohead gig from inside Thom Yorke's head. 

Only that's not really how it works. Of course it isn't. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    oh i love that album...will def give that a listen!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My favourite insight was that the electric piano track on "Subterranean Homesick Alien" is actually two performances spliced together - Thom plays the first couple of verses, but the descending arpeggios later in the song are Jonny. 

The whole show has ruined my pet "Thom Yorke's Head" theory of Radiohead mixing- you can often hear instruments panned left, right and centre in a way that can often plausibly sound like Jonny (left), Thom (centre) and Ed (right), then drums and bass centre (or maybe just a tiny bit to the left...), just as they'd sound if you were able to hear a Radiohead gig from inside Thom Yorke's head. 

Only that's not really how it works. Of course it isn't. 
    The panning is all over the place on OKC. Such a weird mix (in the best possible way)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I really enjoy listening to R6's deep dives. That was a particularly good one. 

Controversially though, I think The Bends is a better album than OK Computer. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The.
    Finest. 
    Album.
    Ever.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the tip I'll give it a listen.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284

The bends is also good...shame about everything after those too though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    I prefer Kid A more than the previous two and it opened me up to far more music than either of those other albums did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

The bends is also good...shame about everything after those too though.

I think those two albums are Radiohead at their most zeitgeist-y . They wanted to be liked, or at least the music they wanted to make was still pop music, or by sheer cultural momentum they managed to force the mainstream to intersect with their music. Or something. They've never managed to be quite so anthemic or so "now" since.

This was out the other week, it's as good as anything else Thom Yorke has been involved in imo. Not era defining like OKC, but that's not really anything to do with the music
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader
    euan said:
    I prefer Kid A more than the previous two and it opened me up to far more music than either of those other albums did.

I listen to in Rainbows more than any of the other albums.

I think they've just got better and better.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    That was an album I really wanted to love but I just didn't get at all. I'll have to revisit, not heard it for many years now.
    roberty said:
    This was out the other week, it's as good as anything else Thom Yorke has been involved in imo. Not era defining like OKC, but that's not really anything to do with the music

I'm going to pick it up on CD in a couple of weeks. Incorporeal release was several weeks ahead of physical for some reason.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    I listened to about 40% of the OKC thing last night - REALLY good bit of radio/pod and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest. 

I kinda knew Godrich was roughly the same age as the band but hadn't really crystalised that it means he was also about 24 when they started making the record. 

As for Radiohead's catalogue overall, The Bends is utterly brilliant, but is also only about their 5th best record. OKC, KidA, In Rainbows are unquestionably better, but I'd argue HTTT, Amnesiac, TKOL and AMSP are all similarly good, albeit all very different records. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754

I'd say these days that's at least a 50% view, I'm opposite, I vastly prefer OK Computer.  There is a sort of journey you go on with that album that is something else.  Ironically while I have it on vinyl like a lot of 90s records it changes a lot in that format at 4 sides - my enduring memory is the whole 55 minutes without getting up...

However, if you stack them up track-by-track, there really isn't much in it.

I consider The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A as the sort of "Radiohead Trilogy" - there is a huge part of the musical jigsaw of 90s British indie rock in those three albums.

The Bends - "this is how we do rock chaps, with our influences on our sleeves" - a bit like Definitely Maybe, or Generation Terrorists, or Modern Life is Rubbish or Suede, or I Should Coco, or A Northern Soul

OK Computer - "what if we double down on the us, and make our definitive statement".. like the Holy Bible, or Parklife, WTSMG or Dog Man Star, or In it for the Money, or Urban Hymns, ironically the Stone Roses did this with their debut, helps to have a whole unreleased record.

Kid A - "Back again but with DIFFERENT influences"... The Manics coming back with their huge stadium rock influence, Blur's self-titled 1997 album, Supergrass' self titled under-rated third album....

You get my meaning anyhow.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    As an impressionable teenager OK Computer changed the way I looked at the world, much like Nevermind did when I was younger than that. I would sooner listen to new Radiohead now but I'm past the age where music can have such a profound impact on me

roberty said:

I'm going to pick it up on CD in a couple of weeks. Incorporeal release was several weeks ahead of physical for some reason.
    Got the vinyl on pre-order. Their approach seems very DIY, ie direct to consumer, which must be a nightmare at that scale