OK Computer deep dive

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    euan said:
    I prefer Kid A more than the previous two and it opened me up to far more music than either of those other albums did.

I listen to in Rainbows more than any of the other albums.

I think they've just got better and better.
    In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead album

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The Bends was a game changer for me.

OK Computer was a game changer for me.

Kid A was a game changer for me.

In Rainbows was a game changer for me.

I can't quite believe how long ago each one was as they still sound as now and relevant as they ever did to my ears. What a band.

Went to see them in an arena on the King of Limbs tour on my 30th birthday, given my fascination of nearly 20 years by that point. I left very disappointed.  Maybe expectation was too much. Maybe the arena was too much, but whatever it was I left going distinctly "off" them for a year or so. Thankfully that feeling wore off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited May 2022
    However, if you stack them up track-by-track, there really isn't much in it.

I consider The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A as the sort of "Radiohead Trilogy" - there is a huge part of the musical jigsaw of 90s British indie rock in those three albums.

The Bends - "this is how we do rock chaps, with our influences on our sleeves" - a bit like Definitely Maybe, or Generation Terrorists, or Modern Life is Rubbish or Suede, or I Should Coco, or A Northern Soul

OK Computer - "what if we double down on the us, and make our definitive statement".. like the Holy Bible, or Parklife, WTSMG or Dog Man Star, or In it for the Money, or Urban Hymns, ironically the Stone Roses did this with their debut, helps to have a whole unreleased record.

Kid A - "Back again but with DIFFERENT influences"... The Manics coming back with their huge stadium rock influence, Blur's self-titled 1997 album, Supergrass' self titled under-rated third album....
    Giving me some serious nostalgia this morning; it is easy to forget what an awesome era the 90s was for music and songwriting.

As an aside, I can’t help but wonder if in the current climate of diminished record sales and streaming, if so many great bands could go through this cycle without being dropped by their respective labels.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Listened to this yesterday and loved it. Godrich came across really well. I will say that I *think* it’s my favourite album of all time so it was always going to be a big winner for me, but I don’t think anyone can argue that as a piece of work it’s anything other than spectacular. Even songs aside, the production is astounding. I still think it’s perhaps the best sounding album, and that it was done 25 years ago now blows my mind. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader

Giving me some serious nostalgia this morning; it is easy to forget what an awesome era the 90s was for music and songwriting.

As an aside, I can’t help but wonder if in the current climate of diminished record sales and streaming, if so many great bands could go through this cycle without being dropped by their respective labels.

In some ways the opposite is true.

From listening to the doc Radiohead were under massive label pressure on the Bends to have hit singles or be dropped.

They only got away from it on OKC because they had the money to build their own studio. Which was prohibitively expensive and required a producer on hand to work the machines.

It's now so much easier for bands to do whatever they want on a laptop and try a bunch of things.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    edited May 2022
    I listened to it this afternoon. Found it funny that the first and only mention of Ed O’Brien was 1hr14min in. 

Reminded me of the story where halfway through recording Terror Twilights Bob Nastanovich confronted Godrich by accusing him of not knowing his name. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    euan said:
    I listened to it this afternoon. Found it funny that the first and old mention of Ed O’Brien was 1hr14min in. 

Reminded me of the story where halfway through recording Terror Twilights Bob Nastanovich confronted Godrich by accusing him of not knowing his name. 
    Ed contributes so much but I think because he's humble and nice he gets overlooked. The impression I get is that he has no ego
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    Reminds me of this video

https://youtu.be/qQ34dCAKtmQ
    edited May 2022
    Yes exactly @euan haha

I have his signature strat and I can't thank him enough for choosing that particular neck. Legend
    Look what popped up. Could probably use its own thread
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    November 1997 Radiohead Nynex Arena Manchester, still my favourite gig. OK Computer is a tremendous album!

I'll take you up on the recommended listening @english_bob thanks.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    November 1997 Radiohead Nynex Arena Manchester, still my favourite gig. OK Computer is a tremendous album!

I'll take you up on the recommended listening @english_bob thanks.

I saw them at Reading Rivermead Leisure Centre that September. Quality show. 

I remember that at one point between songs there was a sort of rhythmic thumping sound coming from somewhere on stage. Thom asked "who's making that noise?" and Jonny Greenwood, kneeling over his pedalboard, sheepishly raised his hand. "We'll put that on the next album" said Thom. And they probably did.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Very much enjoying The Smile stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    roberty said:
    euan said:
    I listened to it this afternoon. Found it funny that the first and old mention of Ed O’Brien was 1hr14min in. 

Ed contributes so much but I think because he's humble and nice he gets overlooked. The impression I get is that he has no ego
    I think he's just a thoroughly bluddy nice bloke.

It's a tough environment as well, one of three guitarists in a rock band who don't often use three guitars, as he has said himself if you can't play a part Jonny or Thom are always there to do it.

Watch their live shows though and he's a fantastic musician, not flashy playing wanky solos or fills or showing off but doing his bit for the songs every time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    roberty said:
    euan said:

I think he's just a thoroughly bluddy nice bloke.

It's a tough environment as well, one of three guitarists in a rock band who don't often use three guitars, as he has said himself if you can't play a part Jonny or Thom are always there to do it.

Watch their live shows though and he's a fantastic musician, not flashy playing wanky solos or fills or showing off but doing his bit for the songs every time.
    His BVs are spot on too. A lot of the atmospherics and sonics come from Ed in Radiohead. I think you can hear his absence in the smile vs a moon shaped pool. The arrangements in Radiohead are almost too much to get your head around. It's so idea-dense