How damaging would it be to put a guitar in a pool?

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
This is probably a crazy idea but as the kids have the huge 3m diameter above ground pool up in the garden I was wondering if I could use it to do some kind of underwater guitar playing shots for videos. Obviously I wouldnt do this with a good guitar but was wondering jsut how damaging it would be to a guitar if immediately dried off again afterwards?

Is it going to basically hose the guitar? I would of coiurse buy a cheap harley benton for the purposes but seems a cit destructive if its basically going to be scrap wood afterwards. 
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Completely knackered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24240
    I think you'd have to completely disassemble it afterwards if it was going to dry properly and even then you don't know how well the wood has been sealed - if at all.

And you will never ever get the shot you want in 1 take. So it's going to be soaking wet for multiple takes. Even if you dry between you'll never get it dry under the pickups like that.

The neck will probably fill up with water along the truss rod too.

If you really want to do this - get a £20 "parts only" beater from ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 261
    edited May 2022
    I’m speculating a bit here but if you immediately dismantled it and left it to dry out thoroughly then I’d think that it would be OK.

EDIT: as per fretmeister above - perhaps not so easily…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2992
    This is probably a crazy idea but as the kids have the huge 3m diameter above ground pool up in the garden I was wondering if I could use it to do some kind of underwater guitar playing shots for videos. Obviously I wouldnt do this with a good guitar but was wondering jsut how damaging it would be to a guitar if immediately dried off again afterwards?

Is it going to basically hose the guitar? I would of coiurse buy a cheap harley benton for the purposes but seems a cit destructive if its basically going to be scrap wood afterwards. 

If you can dry it out properly, which is very  very hard to do, and will require you to basically break the guitar down to it's individual parts, you'll have no issues, even with the electronics, but again really not easy to properly dry out.  There was a YouTube video doing the rounds perhaps 7 years ago filmed in South America, of a guitar tech who literally was ''washing'' an R9 in a basin full of soapy water, he then dries it off, sets it up, plugs it in, and the bloody thing worked.  I personally wouldn't do it with a guitar I cared about in the slightest way, one that I would bin insteasd of repair, like a HB or Squire, yeh for a laugh maybe.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I think you'd have to completely disassemble it afterwards if it was going to dry properly and even then you don't know how well the wood has been sealed - if at all.

And you will never ever get the shot you want in 1 take. So it's going to be soaking wet for multiple takes. Even if you dry between you'll never get it dry under the pickups like that.

The neck will probably fill up with water along the truss rod too.

If you really want to do this - get a £20 "parts only" beater from ebay.
    Just an idle thought tbh, techincally it should really be a 7 string too which would be harder to find a beater for but prob no one would notice anyways. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    Not a good idea !
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Memory bank time now, but wasn't there a Madness video from years ago of the band, or part of the band, playing in a pool 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Henry Juszkiewicz?  Is that you?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Memory bank time now, but wasn't there a Madness video from years ago of the band, or part of the band, playing in a pool 
    Yes although I can't think which song. There was a bit of jumping in and out of swimming pools with instruments in 1980s pop videos. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    Dunk it in candle wax beforehand to waterproof it, that'll be fine. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 568
    Never ever heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. Should be banned from owning any guitar for at least 25 years.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    as the kids have the huge 3m diameter above ground pool up in the garden
    #humblebrag  =)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 454
    Yes although I can't think which song. There was a bit of jumping in and out of swimming pools with instruments in 1980s pop videos. 
    It Must Be Love
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Better off trying to achieve the same thing in photoshop.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12337
    Didn’t poopots (god bless him) ex missus put his tele in a paddling pool once?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3835
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Get a Revstar - I believe the push-pull tone pot acts as a ‘dry’ switch, or perhaps an S-type with a swimming pool rout.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Is this what they mean by a wet/dry rig?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Forget guitars. The real rock & roll thing to do is drive a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    Dunk it in candle wax beforehand to waterproof it, that'll be fine. 
    ...and much better feedback resistance as a bonus!