It's only taken me 3 years to settle on this bitch! (T-type content)

lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
Well, I say 3 years, it's still a work in progress! Need to decide what I am going to do with the lower bout of the pickguard. Oh and there is a small matter of the finish too

I bought the body off booboo's - a 1 piece ash HH tele style - and pretty much everything else has come from this very establishment (and @gavin_axecaster ). The body had a hairline split on the top because the control cavity had been routed too deep, so I strengthened it by gluing in some veneer cut to the shape of the cavity. It had not been drilled for a jack and it came as a 3 bolt neck, so converted to a four. Then I decided to created a forearm contour seeing as the guitar was contoured everywhere else... 

I was always a bit underwhelmed by a straight forward HH tele, even with a bigsby added, so I added a couple of firebird pups, but they didn't last - think it was the ash/fb combo that didn't do it for me.

So I decided this guitar needed something different...! I routed the body to take the P90s and the descendant trem. I also drilled the post holes for the bridge - so no going back now! I made the back plate out of a sheet of BWB and adapted a P90 tele deluxe pickguard to get to where it is today. 

Did my best bit of soldering last night and finally had a plug in and those P90s sounded glorious! I am really pleased with how it has turned out. It is by no means perfect but with a little more refining this one will be a keeper  

Hopefully won't take me another 3 years to finished it! Now...nitro or oil to show off that beautiful grain???

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Congratulations. You built a @HarrySeven o caster … except that, if memory serves, H7 is not overly fond of P90s.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    That looks great, I'd go for thin white blonde plus clear nitrocellulose and maybe even have it open pore/unfilled. 

Then bring back the lower bout pickgaurd edge past the screwhole and drill another. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    That looks great, I'd go for thin white blonde plus clear nitrocellulose and maybe even have it open pore/unfilled. 

Then bring back the lower bout pickgaurd edge past the screwhole and drill another. 
    Thanks man :+1:

Yeah that lower bout definitely needs trimming. Luckily I haven't drilled any of the lower holes yet. I think blonde would be a good option. Either that or a slightly tinted natural finish with some wax to make that grain pop.