Current Reverb VAT Situation

GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
Has anyone bought a guitar from an EU seller on Reverb recently?

What's the current tax situation when buying in the UK? Do the prices include VAT? Or does this need to be accounted for afterwards?

Thomann makes this easy now. But I don't understand the Reverb situation. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2367
    edited May 2022
    As I understand it, VAT isn't included in Reverb's listed prices from sellers abroad, so you need to add that on to the price + shipping.
    Tim
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    VAT is included and collected by Reverb via the IOSS scheme from retailers. 
    I don't know about personal.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    timmypix said:
    As I understand it, VAT isn't included in Reverb's listed prices from sellers abroad, so you need to add that on to the price + shipping.
    Thanks. Thought some prices seemed a bit too good to be true compared to UK listings.

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 783
    edited May 2022
    timmypix said:
    Just checked this with a business seller in Spain. Timmy is correct. Their VAT is taken out automatically, but UK VAT needs to be paid on import. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    timmypix said:
    Thanks. Thought some prices seemed a bit too good to be true compared to UK listings.
    The VAT goes on the sellers price after ...  something I sell for £20 actually cost the customer nearly £30 ... then if the IOSS isn't filled out right there's a chance the customer can be charged twice. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2859
    edited May 2022
    I've had cases where I've sold stuff and reverb has given me a code to add on the package, as the buyer has prepaid tax. 

And likewise I've bought from the USA and tax has been collected by reverb.

And then other times they haven't!! 
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    Danny1969 said:

The VAT goes on the sellers price after ...  something I sell for £20 actually cost the customer nearly £30 ... then if the IOSS isn't filled out right there's a chance the customer can be charged twice. 
    I sell stuff into Europe and despite the forms being filled out correctly and my paying the EU the VAT due on many occasions local customs have charged the buyer VAT again (so if they want to accept the goods they either have to pay it twice or challenge their local customs decision).