Three New Universal Audio pedals!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    All three sounded really impressive.  I like that they have knobs and switches - I can't deal with menus and little screens 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    crunchman said:
    I do like the look of these.  I have an Iridium, and it's very good, but it doesn't have a tweed style.  My "real" amp is a Lazy J which sounds great on the edge of breakup.  The cleans are warmer than a Blackface style amp.  I would like to try the Woodrow.

The Dream is tempting as well though.  The mod switch seems to give it a few more options than the Round amp on the Iridium.
    I'm in the same boat as you. Love my Lazy J20, but the Woodrow has me tempted. I use the J as a clean platform - the cleans are to die for with the Blue.

Remember the Woodrow has got a Celestion Blue setting on it too, so potential for Lazy Jish tones. Great to see a Tweed amp in a pedal at last. It's usually Vox/Marshall/Black panel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2022
    I can only see the Woodrow in stock anywhere. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited June 2022
    @Fishboy7 ;;

The ‘65 Dream interests me the most too. I would like to hear more sounds from the MOD’s (Stock/Lead/D-Tex). And probably won’t be long until people on YouTube A/B them to Helix/Fractal/Kemper etc.

Would be good to get your opinions, when you are able to get hold of one. I will keep an eye out for anywhere they are in stock!

edit: SOS Review: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/universal-audio-uafx-amp-pedals
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    edited June 2022
    Question: they have two outputs, mono and stereo. Could you run one into an FRFR speaker and one into the PA? I assume you wouldn't want this to be stereo. Dual mono? Also, what's the deal with 'balanced' outputs. I see other other pedals mentioning it with XLR outputs etc.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited June 2022
    Well I'm curious (and sold by the YT vids) enough to want to give one a try. Just ordered the Dream 65 from Thomann - it's a 1-2 week wait though.
    I was an Iridium user then swapped to a Stomp and then went back to an Iridium. I can get pretty decent sounds out of the Iridium but I'm never been really knocked out by it. Keen to see if the UA does a better job. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited June 2022
    Lebarque said:
    Question: they have two outputs, mono and stereo. Could you run one into an FRFR speaker and one into the PA. I assume you wouldn't want this to be stereo. Dual mono? Also, what's the deal with 'balanced' outputs. I see other other pedals mentioning it with XLR outputs etc.

It might be better to use something like this:

It has two outputs that can be run in parallel.  The one labelled Mixer is XLR, while the one labelled Amp is a jack.  Just use the "Amp" one for your FRFR and the XLR for the PA. I do this with my Iridium when I use it live in church.

Edit:  that also lets you put a reverb or delay pedal after the amp emulation in your chain as well if you want.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Just got a Woodrow.  Much prefer it to the Iridium.  Look for an Iridium in the classifieds in the next few days.
  • CalelCalel Frets: 31
    Dream 65 incoming - got one from Thotho who had inventory! 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    My Dream 65 arrived today. Just got it hooked up and first impressions are very good. 
    Just getting used to how all the controls work but it doesn't seem anything very complex.
    I also downloaded the UAFX app on my iphone. That added 3 extra cab emulations and lots of presets, that I probably won't use  ;)
    The reverb is nice but a little one trick pony - I like a bit more control on parameters so I think I'll be keeping my Topanga.

@crunchman My Iridium could also be headed for the £FX section soon, though the only thing I might miss is there's no headphones output. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Just got the Dream 65. Impressed! Nice and easy to set up. Some room reverb adjustment would be nice (not read the manual yet, so maybe you can). Not sure I’d buy more than one, but so far so good
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    Dream 65 also arrived here, very good indeed. I'm sure you could get a Helix/Stomp to sound close with a lot of tweaking and tricks but the Dream just works right off the bat, in a smaller form factor and using a normal power supply. Not usually a fan of apps but the UAFX one is about right - some of the artist presets are great, and no hidden parameters that can only be changed via the app.
  • How do these compare to the Kemper?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Deft said:
    Dream 65 also arrived here, very good indeed. I'm sure you could get a Helix/Stomp to sound close with a lot of tweaking and tricks but the Dream just works right off the bat, in a smaller form factor and using a normal power supply. Not usually a fan of apps but the UAFX one is about right - some of the artist presets are great, and no hidden parameters that can only be changed via the app.
    The Dream 65 appears to be the standout one for me; congrats on landing one :)
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    Deft said:
    The Dream 65 appears to be the standout one for me; congrats on landing one :)
    I rarely use more than a bit of reverb and trem, especially for practise, so the Dream kind of chose itself. I think if the Ruby had a spring or plate reverb I'd have been torn between the two
    Woodrow just turned up. Liking it very much. Sort of wish I'd got it first as I'm not sure I would have got the Dream 65 as well... 

Was tempted to sell the Dream 65 but then used that for any wet FX and the Woodrow for the dry. Bit OTT lol, but good fun. 

I started out with Blackface amps and never really changed for at least 15 years. Only realised over the last 3 years I much prefer Tweed tones doohhh.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    edited August 2022
    I really wanted to try a Woodrow as well as I love my real 5E3. It's one of those amps with a certain feel and some tones that very few (if any!) modellers can actually do well.

I wonder what the headroom is like as even the Dream 65 has quite a limited range before it starts breaking up.
    susbemol said:
    I really wanted to try a Woodrow as well as I love my real 5E3. It's one of those amps with certain a feel and tones that very few (if any!) modellers can actually do well.

I wonder what the headroom is like as even the Dream 65 has quite a limited range before it starts breaking up.
    There seems to be some nice cleans in there but it’s early days yet for me. Just going off the presets. And yes, know what you mean, the 65 breaks up quiet early on.  I’m running mine into a mixer so I can always up the gain after the pedal, but I do seem to have both on full volume. 

I’ve not got proper 5E3, just a champ clone I built. But the feel is pretty damn good as far as modellers go! 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Just noticed these 3 pedals are available now for £299.