In praise of Strat neck pickups

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
edited May 2022 in Guitar
… in a Les Paul.

I just installed a customs set of pickups from Q Pickups into a 2005 Les Paul Standard belonging to a friend of mine replacing the stock Burstbuckers (1&2).

The neck pickup is a heavy formvar 50s style Strat pickup in a humbucker footprint and the bridge is an unpotted A4 PAF. Very different sounding pickups obviously.

The bridge pickup is more on the flatter/full-range end of PAF style pickups, I prefer the Monty’s in my own LP, which seems to have a bit more poke but the Q certainly sounds good too.

The neck is the real star of the - bright, full, twangy, not particularly Stratty in one way but still a great sound.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Interesting. Is the Strat pickup in the 'correct' position - where the neck side coil of the humbucker would be, ie at the 2nd harmonic node position - or centred in the humbucker ring? Their website just comes up as blank pages at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    ICBM said:
    Interesting. Is the Strat pickup in the 'correct' position - where the neck side coil of the humbucker would be, ie at the 2nd harmonic node position - or centred in the humbucker ring? Their website just comes up as blank pages at the moment.
    It’s not in the correct position, the poles are centred like on a Humbucker-size P90.

Q’s website isn’t really active as they seem to do most of their selling through Reverb.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Seziertisch said:

It’s not in the correct position, the poles are centred like on a Humbucker-size P90.
    Still interesting! As it happens, I have a Strat-type guitar with a full 22-fret (not fingerboard overhang) neck and the pickup roughly in the same position slightly closer to the bridge, like a Jaguar neck pickup is... admittedly I have a mini-humbucker in there now, but when it was a standard Strat pickup I never felt it didn't sound 'Stratty'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    https://fb.watch/dXV8iXE3Ef/

Not sure if this video is viewable for non-FB users, but this is that Strat neck pickup from Q Pickups in action. The amp is a Katana (I think)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    That sounds very nice. I've got a set of his tapped Strat single coils and they're very nice.
  • So I treated myself to a humbucker-sized Strat pickup from Mojo Pickups for my own Les Paul, A5 wound with NOS heavy formvar. One of the most touch sensitive, dynamic pickups I’ve ever played.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Interesting. I may go for that when I make an LP.
  • axisus said:
    Interesting. I may go for that when I make an LP.

Les Paul or Long Player?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom