Identify this Vox AC30. 1963? 1964?

What's Hot
Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
    Tricky.  Copper panel and brown grillcloth is correct for 63/64 and the smooth tolex suggests 63  but the transitions weren't clear cut.  I had an early 64 that was a black panel with brown grillcloth for example but still had smooth tolex.  Your need date codes of the pots or transformers to be sure.  There may be some on capacitors too.

Obvious observations:

It's a non top boost model.
    Speakers are non original
    Footswitch is non original
    Some electrolytics have been changed
    Transformers seem original

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Hard to tell, but if the back edges of the cabinet aren’t rounded (I think I can just see that in the pic) it’s probably a ‘63.

A lot has been changed, not least the completely inappropriate speakers! But as Dodge said, at least the transformers look right.

It could do with thoroughly re-overhauling by someone who cares about making it right rather than just making it work…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I did a double take - as I owned an AC30 that was near identical in the early 90s. The only difference was the cabinet had decomposed badly from bad storage in a shed and so was rehoused in a 90s reissue cabinet. I ran it with Greenbacks but when I sold it in 1998/99, I swapped it *back* to the G12Ts that were in it when I got it... even the footswitch is right. I think mine was a "Bass" model too - but that could have been the other one I had. 

For the record - the G12Ts didn't sound as awful as you'd think. They weren't "right" but I gigged it like that for a couple of months before swapping to my favoured Greenbacks.

I don't think its my old one thats had another cabinet swap but, its possible...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @impmann It isn't mine, I was just interested, I'm 'into' AC30's atm and this one looked curious.  I believe it has been rehoused so you could indeed be looking at your old amp.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    yes, original speakers would be the Thames Ditton factory address
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>