Another side to John Mayer's work

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6468
edited May 2022 in Music
[Before we get into it, can we just take it as read that most folk on here prefer Continuum/ the Trio stuff to anything else he has done and leave that there?]

Mayer's Born and Raised album turned 10 years old recently, and revisiting it reminded me of the track Walt Grace's Submarine Test 1967.

A truly unusual lyric, about a man going off in a home-made submarine, and far from the "soft rock to make pretty girls swoon" and "SRV updated for the Noughties" guitar that he is best known for...I have to confess something: This song makes me cry every time I hear it. Even thinking about it reduced me to tears today. To repeat: it's a song about a man making a submarine. This is not a field in which I have any emotional baggage to set me off! There's just something utterly human and heartbreaking about it, for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It’s a great song on prob my favourite JM album. 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 476
    Great song. A Face to Call Home always gets me going from that record too. The build up to the outro and that ascending guitar line right the way until the end of the track is sublime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Born and Raised is my Favourite JM album and that is a really great song off it, that's my mornings listening sorted now as it's been too long since I listened to it.

I really like the *simple stuff he does, Dear Marie from Paradise Valley is another great simple song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3308
    Its my fave JM record after Sob Rock. its beautiful 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    It's the last great song he wrote imo. And B&R is his last really good album too.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Indeed, it is a moving song but from that album,  it's 'Shadow Days' for me
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    Great song from a great album.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Lovely. Fan artwork approved by John based on the comments. 
    Much as I often say I’m not interested in lyrics I like a quirky story from time to time. Some of the Richard Thompson stuff for example (Galway to Graceland comes to mind). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22684
    Not for me, but it's a beautiful video.  I hope all those animation effects are genuine, I'd be disappointed if they're CGI.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    Nice to hear some passion, will give that track a listen :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Isn’t Walt Grace also a vintage guitar dealer?
  • AornicAornic Frets: 474
    edited May 2022
    [Before we get into it, can we just take it as read that most folk on here prefer Continuum/ the Trio stuff to anything else he has done and leave that there?]

Mayer's Born and Raised album turned 10 years old recently, and revisiting it reminded me of the track Walt Grace's Submarine Test 1967.

A truly unusual lyric, about a man going off in a home-made submarine, and far from the "soft rock to make pretty girls swoon" and "SRV updated for the Noughties" guitar that he is best known for...I have to confess something: This song makes me cry every time I hear it. Even thinking about it reduced me to tears today. To repeat: it's a song about a man making a submarine. This is not a field in which I have any emotional baggage to set me off! There's just something utterly human and heartbreaking about it, for me.

Born and Raised isn't really my cup of tea overall, but I love Walt Grace. I think the reason it resonates is because it's ultimately a story of having a dream and pursuing it despite everyone, in the most well meaning of ways, trying to dissuade you because it seems absurd to them and you "won't make it". 

The ending was open ended on release but he said at a concert "he totally lives" so Walt succeeds at the end. It's good storytelling and the resonator guitar sounds spot on for the vibe it's going for.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I feel like I need to revisit Mayer.
    I stopped really listening after Born & Raised.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 476
    edited May 2022
    Listened to the album after B&R last night, it doesn't quite hit the same highs but I thought this was great:

John Mayer - Badge And Gun (Official Audio) - YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3308
    I feel like I need to revisit Mayer.
    I stopped really listening after Born & Raised.
    Start at Sob Rock. Amazing record that got a lot of flack from people who never got it at all.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24162
    First time I've heard that.
    It's very good. I like a story in a song.

But the video - that is fantastic. Very well put together indeed.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited June 2022
    I love the song.

I'm sure he borrowed it from The Jonas Brothers though (2:12):