Splitting holiday cost, what would you do?

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Simonh said:
    ^^^ people have lots of money because they are tight with money.  As she demonstrates. 
    That explains why I am poor then - we always go halves/split equally when we go out with friends, it isn't even a discussion.
    What if you've had a steak and chose an expensive wine and the other person has a bowl of pasta and would've been happy with the house red? 
    What comes around goes around. Over time it’ll sort itself out and if you’re real friends you shouldn’t have to think about it or keep score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Simonh said:
    ^^^ people have lots of money because they are tight with money.  As she demonstrates. 
    That explains why I am poor then - we always go halves/split equally when we go out with friends, it isn't even a discussion.
    That's what the majority of my friends do and what I do too.  Take the bill and split it evenly.  But I do know a couple who doesn't and will get the receipt and then open the phone's calculator and work it out to the penny.

Saying that, one time we went to a bar in Tapei, there are like 15 of us, the bill came to about 1k...the thing is that i don't drink, I had like 2 cokes but some were having cocktails, jugs of it.  So paying £60-70 for a couple of cokes for me was quite a No No. I threw in a tenner worth of local currency, which is more than enough, and left them to divide the rest up.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    I think if something was so blatantly out of balance then our friend group certainly wouldn't allow those affected to split it, but that is one of the ways you measure who are proper friends isn't it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Simonh said:
    What if you've had a steak and chose an expensive wine and the other person has a bowl of pasta and would've been happy with the house red? 

Wouldn't matter. Not that I go out much these days but when I did we didn't even split bills someone would get it and the others would get it next time. Or if someone was skint someone else would pay. Never any discussion. But then I don't have any money and none of my friends are/were rich. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited May 2022
    We usually split the menu, but we once went for a curry and one guy knew we were going to so took advantage. Chugging pints down, he ordered a main for his starter, another main for his main and a load of sundries to himself. He didn't get invited again 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    sadly some people are just twats, I would have called him out on that.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited May 2022
    To be honest I thought he was a bit of a hero when he ordered a main for his starter, and it was only a few quid extra. Then once the drinks turned up we realised what he was doing  s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618

Despite what I said earlier about splitting it between all the adults (which I still think is the right principle), if I was dramatically better off than my friends I'd be glad to pay more than my share so we could enjoy things together. She's obviously not of the same mind!

Not easy to go away with people who aren't on the same wavelength about money/expectations or sensitive to other people's circumstances.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited May 2022
    "accommodation" split between households. End of

any and everything else "pay your own" Ms singleton cant and shouldnt be expected to contribute towards kids meals etc

DefaultM said:
    To be honest I thought he was a bit of a hero when he ordered a main for his starter, and it was only a few quid extra. Then once the drinks turned up we realised what he was doing  s
    should have announced at the end  "ok so tonight were going to each pay our own"   or "split the food down the middle but pay your own drinks"   - even if only to see the look on his face

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Forget that she has a bedroom to herself. Split it 5 ways and split the meal costs etc fairly between all 7. Most of the time spent in the villa will be the communal area, which she will have to share with the kids who aren't factored into the 5 way split but still take up space. This surely offsets her single adult in double room situation. She's paying equally to have "your" kids stay there so the quid pro quo is she has her own room to retire to when the squabbles start. I think her 5 way split is totally reasonable all things considered. The difference is 15% and the two couples will be stumping up 7.5% each or 3.75% each extra per person. If you can't absorb that cost then you should not be going on holiday. Not worth falling out over. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    I just wouldn't go.

Friends are friends because you can get away from them. Going on holiday even with people I really like would be hell.

You could offer to personally sub the single person and then stay at home alone for the week.

Perfect!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Every family holiday (before I split up with Mrs H) my wife and daughter always went all-inclusive - Not me - I paid  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    The adults should pay 20% equally and perhaps be a little thankful that your friend is subsidising your kids holidays
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Opportunity knocks - Split evenly and sleep with her.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Devil#20 said:
    Forget that she has a bedroom to herself. Split it 5 ways and split the meal costs etc fairly between all 7. Most of the time spent in the villa will be the communal area, which she will have to share with the kids who aren't factored into the 5 way split but still take up space. This surely offsets her single adult in double room situation. She's paying equally to have "your" kids stay there so the quid pro quo is she has her own room to retire to when the squabbles start. I think her 5 way split is totally reasonable all things considered. The difference is 15% and the two couples will be stumping up 7.5% each or 3.75% each extra per person. If you can't absorb that cost then you should not be going on holiday. Not worth falling out over. 

And how much time do you spend in the bedroom anyway when you're on holiday? 
    Unless it's a dirty weekend. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    I don’t think you should expect people to put more into the pot just because they’re higher earners or better off. As long as everyone paid their own way and didn’t take the piss I’d be cool with that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7042
    If the villa has a pool of its own, take some rope and cordon off her portion according to the percentage split that she is pushing for.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 835
    Great thread this one ... laughing me cap off right now because I'm sat by a pool, in Greece, with a nice cup of coffee watching the sun rise over the mountains.

Personally, I'd just do what the Greeks do and chill-out. I don't think they'd even understand the issue ... it's just not in their psyche. They did conceive the concept of democracy after all and the principle of 'know thyself' (gnothi seauton).

Given that you're going on holiday to feel good, have fun, escape routine, be with friends and family, make lasting memories, then I'd say that to get the most out the experience you gotta leave all of the mental/psychological/emotional baggage behind ... start with an even keel and just take a day at a time. Surely no-one wants to return to Blighty more stressed than when they left and with nowt but bad memories?

The Greeks are amongst the most hospitable and friendly of people you'll encounter anywhere ... let them and their wonderful culture work their magic on all of you. When the kids are happily occupying the pool, the adults are sat supping cold ones and blethering, listening to music, sunbathing, organising outings etc. etc., I think the stated dilemma will disappear and no-one will care.

Life's too short and you said it yourself ... it really is a first world issue. Go enjoy your holiday with your kids ... live simple ... be harmonious and lead by example ... that's what they'll remember in years to come.

Best to you all.

Yia sas!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    BillDL said:
    If the villa has a pool of its own, take some rope and cordon off her portion according to the percentage split that she is pushing for.
    And make sure the kids only piss in her bit as well. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    A fair split is whatever you guys feel happy with.

The question is "is this the hill I want to die on?"

Swallow it, get on with the holiday and don't do it again, or cancel it.

The only thing I'd suggest against doing is having a big row and then having a shitty time.