People who don't want to sell a guitar - only trade for another ...why ?

What's Hot
AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
Genuine question.

Why do some sellers insist they will only trade Guitar X for Guitar Y or maybe Z - instead of just selling for cash and multiplying the prospects for a successful outcome manyfold ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Maybe they have one guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I only have one guitar so if I sell mine then wait for the right one to come up I won't have anything else to play, I'd probably end up settling for something less than ideal in order to make the next gig. Also I don't have much in the way of savings, so I fear selling the guitar then something in the house/car breaks that needs paying for. The logical part of my brain would tell me to use the cash rather than credit card/finance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    AK99 said:
    Genuine question.

Why do some sellers insist they will only trade Guitar X for Guitar Y or maybe Z - instead of just selling for cash and multiplying the prospects for a successful outcome manyfold ?
    They may be under the impression that they’ll get a more favourable deal if they trade rather than sell, particularly if they don’t have the additional money available for an onward purchase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I had an HD-28 in Classifieds.

I was after a Gibson Dove, and I wanted to go straight to the latter rather than sell for cash and *then* go looking. It seemed more convenient when I had other stuff going on :) 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9702
    I've done that and it's the convenience of completing the one out one in manoeuvre really. I don't like the process of selling or buying,  the faff of arranging for postage or collection (then the buyer tries to undercut you upon collection etc), it's just easier if somebody has what you want and they want what you have - less likely it may be, but if you're in no immediate rush then it's worth the wait really
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3617
    I guess because a trade for what you want is only one transaction rather than the two of selling and buying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I've always thought it weird. Also, it must be way harder to find a deal.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    The only reason would be that you are trading up, like trying to trade a regular Gibson (perhaps a limited run) into say a Fender Custom Shop.

But then your choice of choosing a guitar is basically what is offered in the trade.  You are limited by choice, rather than taking the money and choosing everything on the market.

With all the "you need to try lots to find the right one", and then happy to take whatever the trade is base on the spec.  It does seem odd.

Perhaps why some people trade a lot, they don't like it and keep swapping.  Rather than choosing a good one to begin with?
  • PALPAL Frets: 534
    Even if I do try to sell a guitar and I do say that I'm not looking for any trades I get asked if I will do a trade They then want
     an unrealistic amount for their Trade ! I politely tell them to go to a music store !
     People who are selling and are only interested in a trade are probably looking to work a trade in their favor !
     You are right cash can work better than trades but unfortunately not everyone has the cash !
     My advice is there are many guitars out there so just take your time know what you want be realistic and you will find
     the guitar you are looking for.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    same with wives
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited May 2022
    Decide if you want trade or sell, put it in your ad and stick to it.

Your stuff, your right to choose. If you get a cash offer When you've specified trade (or vice versa), thank them but politely say "No"  
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    bertie said:
    same with wives
    People rarely have more than one at a time so trades make sense  
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    In my case it was because I wanted Fender CS Tele and trade for CS Strat.
    I knew wouldn't be able to get enough cash in straight sale to then buy 2nd hand CS Tele.
    I gave up in the end and Strat sold on Ebay.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    I prefer doing trades, as far less hassle. Sure you can wait a lot longer to find the right trade. But it is less fuss than haggling on a sale price, then looking for the guitar you want, etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22741
    I hadn't really considered the one-guitar issue, it makes sense.

I've never tried to do a trade (except in a shop), but I suppose if someone had a specific, hard-to-find guitar I wanted, I might offer them a trade of one of mine. 

If I just set out to get rid of some of my own stuff, then I'd be selling, not looking for trades.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Because if a certain 2 people exist who desire a guitar that is hard to find for them at a price they can afford it may mutually benefit both to trade they one they don’t really like for the one that is their hearts desire .
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4171
    edited May 2022
    I do it and it’s generally because if I sell a guitar and sit on the cash - with a wife and three kids - that cash is going to evaporate when the boiler packs up, or we need a new PC etc etc. If I never liquidate the asset, that can’t happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    edited May 2022
    Maybe the site needs a Trades Only section? 

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/65130445.jpg

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9702
    stonevibe said:
    Maybe the site needs a Trades Only section? 

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/65130445.jpg
    That seems like a sure fire way to stop people who like trading their things getting any views whatsoever :) Would we then need a section for people who are open to both sales and trades? 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic