People who don't want to sell a guitar - only trade for another ...why ?

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    stonevibe said:
    Maybe the site needs a Trades Only section? 

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/65130445.jpg
    That seems like a sure fire way to stop people who like trading their things getting any views whatsoever :) Would we then need a section for people who are open to both sales and trades? 
    Yeah, and a section for people that refer to guitars as "she" and "bovine-based playing ease" 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited May 2022
    stonevibe said:
    thecolourbox said: Would we then need a section for people who are open to both sales and trades? 
    Yeah, and a section for people that refer to guitars as "she" and "bovine-based playing ease" 
    And for those who call a Les Paul a ‘Lester’.  s
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    wesker123 said:
    In my case it was because I wanted Fender CS Tele and trade for CS Strat.
    I knew wouldn't be able to get enough cash in straight sale to then buy 2nd hand CS Tele. I gave up in the end and Strat sold on Ebay.
    I’ve got the reverse situation where I want to trade my CS Tele for a CS Strat. Haven’t listed it yet but hope to hold out for a trade rather than end up selling and then not finding, or not being able to afford, the CS Strat to replace the Tele. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    wesker123 said:
    I knew wouldn't be able to get enough cash in straight sale to then buy 2nd hand CS Tele. I gave up in the end and Strat sold on Ebay.
    I’ve got the reverse situation where I want to trade my CS Tele for a CS Strat. Haven’t listed it yet but hope to hold out for a trade rather than end up selling and then not finding, or not being able to afford, the CS Strat to replace the Tele. 
    I don't really understand the assumption that selling one guitar and buying one you want is likely to cost you more than trading for a similar one. That depends on buyers and sellers generally agreeing that the hard cash value of a guitar is nearly always less than its worth as a tradeable thing. Given you're normally dealing with private buyers and sellers as opposed to dealers who need a margin - why would that be so ?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Trades exist because not everyone has £2500 sat in their back pocket for a guitar and fancy a change

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    slacker said:
    Maybe they have one guitar. 
    why are we letting such moral deviants join the forum? Is there not some sort of vetting process?!?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    AK99 said:
    wesker123 said:
    I don't really understand the assumption that selling one guitar and buying one you want is likely to cost you more than trading for a similar one. That depends on buyers and sellers generally agreeing that the hard cash value of a guitar is nearly always less than its worth as a tradeable thing. Given you're normally dealing with private buyers and sellers as opposed to dealers who need a margin - why would that be so ?
    Cash is king when buying new, but not always as useful when you are searching for a particular instrument which is no longer being made. I have traded all sorts of music and studio equipment with other musicians, specifically because they weren't interested in cash, but wanted what I had to trade. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    AK99 said:
    wesker123 said:
    It's the fact that it might be the case that makes trades tempting. Only one social interaction required and both sides get what they want. If you sell yours, then find the one you want but it's more than you can afford, you're left with no guitar and money that will quickly disappear into buying shit like petrol, nappies, Just For Men or whatever you lot buy other than guitars
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    AK99 said:
    wesker123 said:
    Agreeing on price/value was the problem. I had a few trade offers but other parties all wanted money on top.

I politely refused. I find that most 2nd hand Fender CS guitars are overpriced. Some call that holding their value.

That said new prices are insane.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I’ve done this once. It was for a guitar that I wasn’t 100% sure about selling - but might have swapped for something interesting.

Also sale prices on here tend to be low which is nice, but if you do sell on here - you haven’t got the same handful of cash to go buying on the open market. So a mutually agreeable swap could work out well. 

When I need to realise a guitar’s full value, I rarely list it here though. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I can understand why… it cuts out all the haggling nonsense and the idiots trying to get something for less than it’s worth (to flip later for more money).

If you really want that *particular* guitar, offer more than the value of the trade. Otherwise find a different example.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I’m in a position where I’m getting an itch for a 335, the only guitar I’d move on is my Tom Anderson, the hassle of selling, then not spending the money whilst one pops up can be a total pits 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    ^ Surely much less frustrating than waiting it out looking thing to find that unicorn 335 owner out there who's looking for a Tom Anderson, the same spec and colour as yours - no ?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited May 2022
    I love a trade , I much prefer it to getting cash , mainly because I can ttry loads of guitars without the faf of money, plus I'm pretty patient so I'm happy to wait till the ideal trade comes along 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2022
    AK99 said:
    wesker123 said:
    It's the fact that it might be the case that makes trades tempting. Only one social interaction required and both sides get what they want. If you sell yours, then find the one you want but it's more than you can afford, you're left with no guitar and money that will quickly disappear into buying shit like petrol, nappies, Just For Men or whatever you lot buy other than guitars

How were people going to pay for these things if they didn't sell the guitar? 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    With a straight sale there is always the danger of a partner saying "You got how much!!! Surely there's enough for a new pair of curtains etc in there if you buy a cheaper guitar" or something, not that this has ever happened to me of course...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Another reason is people are hoping to come out on top from the trade.

A further reason is those people who do a lot of sales might go over the £12300 yearly allowed before capital gains tax kicks in. Sure not a lot of people make money on guitar sales but she do, and what if they are also selling property, classic cars, or watches or any other high value item?

£12300 is your yearly allowance- go over that and you are supposed to pay 18% for lower rate tax payers and a whopping 28% for higher rate tax payers. Trading guitars doesn't get you around the rules but will make you less likely to get caught.

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1405
    octatonic said:

£12300 is your yearly allowance- go over that and you are supposed to pay 18% for lower rate tax payers and a whopping 28% for higher rate tax payers. Trading guitars doesn't get you around the rules but will make you less likely to get caught.

That’s £12,300 worth of gains (I.e profit on sales) not £12,300 worth of sales.. As you say, most people are selling at a loss anyway. I don’t think many people looking to trade a guitar are hoping to avoid a bit of CGT. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    octatonic said:

That’s £12,300 worth of gains (I.e profit on sales) not £12,300 worth of sales.. As you say, most people are selling at a loss anyway. I don’t think many people looking to trade a guitar are hoping to avoid a bit of CGT. 
    I don't think it would be the sole reason.
    It is something to consider if you do high volume sales and make a few quid from them, plus have other CG in a year.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1405
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

It is something to consider if you do high volume sales and make a few quid from them, plus have other CG in a year.
    It's going off topic but a trade doesn't absolve someone from the obligation to pay CGT. A trade obviously makes it easier to hide a capital gain from HMRC but it is still owed. If I buy a '59 burst from a grieving widow for £5k and then later trade it for a nearly new Lamborghini, I still owe CGT even though no cash changed hands with the trade.