Liverpool guitar shops for acoustics, any recommendations?

What's Hot
provprov Frets: 9
I live on the Isle of Man, heading to Liverpool in a couple of weeks, looking to pick up a decent acoustic.
Anyone recommend a good place to go?
Getting there by ferry so kind of needs to be in the city itself.
Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    edited May 2022
    What you after, what’s your budget and does it have to be Liverpool as opposed to buying online or from the classifieds on here… there’s a couple of absolutely belters in the classifieds right now!!
  • Make the journey to Runcorn and get yourself over to Frailers. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I wouldn't know any guitar stores in Liverpool, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't several good ones.

But if you *can* travel, you'll open up dozens of great stores and be able to choose from a much larger selection. The larger, the better, right?

Hope you find what you're after :) 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    Sound Affects Premier in Ormskirk isn't too far away

They did have a shop in Aintree, which I've never visited, but I can't find a link so maybe it's gone.  Frailers in Runcorn as recommended above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited May 2022
    Make the journey to Runcorn and get yourself over to Frailers. 
    Definitely Frailers. Not too far from Liverpool. Big selection of acoustics.

https://www.frailers.com/acoustic-guitars/

Edit:
    prov said:
    Getting there by ferry so kind of needs to be in the city itself.
    Runcorn is 15-20 minutes by train from Liverpool Lime Street station. Much quicker than by bus. Frailers is worth the journey.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Jimbro66 ; - excellent link :+1:
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3308
    Frailers in Runcorn. Probably 10 mins on  a train. Apollo Music in Birkenhead. Again, short train ride but amazing selection. Other than that, theres nothing special in city centre 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    If you could be more specific about what you're after we might be able to advise better.

If you'd change your ferry from arriving Liverpool to Heysham, it's a short train ride to Morecambe but a bit of a walk to Promenade Music who usually have a very wide selection of guitars .

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11867
    There's not much in Liverpool

Go to Frailers, it's 2 stops on the local train
    I saw someone in there once who had travelled there from London
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • provprov Frets: 9
    Thanks folks, appreciate the tips, looks like it's probably a trip to Runcorn for me.
    Only in Liverpool for a day & a night (foot passenger on the ferry and hotel was a birthday gift from the kids) so not really got the option of going too far, especially as I'll get to the Liver at about 11-ish on the Saturday.

Anyone got any experience with Moran Sound http://moransound.com/Acoustic-Guitars.html ? Sadly their website only lists brands, no models or prices.
  • Not been to Tony Morans place in ages but he used to carry a decent stock. Frailers is still your best bet for an acoustic though.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Another vote for Frailers, top notch service. It’s about 15 mins by train  from Lime Street station. 
    PMT Liverpool doesn’t have a shop where you can demo gear, the one in Salford has a good range of acoustics and is  a train and cab away. 

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1824
    Make the journey to Runcorn and get yourself over to Frailers. 
    Ideal Sounds is literally round the corner and is an Aladdin's Cave of used guitars.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    edited May 2022
    Frailers have some interesting guitars on their website I was particularly taken by the sycamore backed Santa Cruz guitar, If you go there any chance you could try it out and report back please
  • Tell Frank I said hi and I saw Spider recently haggling over a cheap acoustic in cash converters :)
  • And if that 1946 Martin parlour turns up again he isn't to sell it to anyone else but me.

I still dream about it...
  • provprov Frets: 9
    Sounds like I'm taking a trip to the land of 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps.
    My wife is going to be so fucking bored, unless Runcorn's a hidden shopping gem..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prov said:
    Sounds like I'm taking a trip to the land of 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps.
    My wife is going to be so fucking bored, unless Runcorn's a hidden shopping gem..
    I hope the divorce is offset by the new guitar ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    prov said:

I strongly suggest that you leave your wife, temporarily, in Liverpool whilst you head to Runcorn.  She’ll probably be much happier going around Liverpool One on her own, without having to drag you around, whilst at the same time she’ll be spared the delights of Runcorn.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Musicwolf said:
    prov said:

I strongly suggest that you leave your wife, temporarily, in Liverpool whilst you head to Runcorn.  She’ll probably be much happier going around Liverpool One on her own, without having to drag you around, whilst at the same time she’ll be spared the delights of Runcorn.

Sound advice. Runcorn cannot be described as a ‘hidden shopping gem’ under any circumstances. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom