Why does my Bigsby arm feel spongy?

What's Hot
EvanEvan Frets: 326
I’ve fitted a new B5 to my Tele partscaster and amongst the many issues I’m sorting out one by one, is the fact that the arm has a bit of sponginess/play in the first few millimetres of its travel, before it properly engages. 

Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited May 2022
    I would guess a little bit of play where the arm attaches to the main assembly. If it's that, you can tighten the nut that holds it to the main assembly (you may need to slacken strings and remove the spring to get to it)

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/20-gretsch-top-tips/

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    I would guess a little bit of play where the arm attaches to the main assembly. If it's that, you can tighten the nut that holds it to the main assembly (you may need to slacken strings and remove the spring to get to it)

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/20-gretsch-top-tips/

I did tighten that a couple of days ago and I thought it improved things. Would it loosen again so quickly?
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    Is this your first Bigsby? (seem to recall that from one of your other threads)

What spring do you have? Stock or one of the softer third party ones?

Is there a nylon washer underneath the spring? Try removing it…replace with coin or metal washer to restore/improve arm height.
    Is this your first Bigsby? (seem to recall that from one of your other threads)

What spring do you have? Stock or one of the softer third party ones?

Is there a nylon washer underneath the spring? Try removing it…replace with coin or metal washer to restore/improve arm height.
    Yes, I’m a Bigsby novice. I’ve got the stock Bigsby spring in at the moment with the nylon washer. I also have the Reverend soft touch spring, which I had in there until yesterday, but I’m not sure I like it. 

I’ll try a different washer as you suggest and also check that the arm isn’t getting loose again. 

Anyway, thanks, I appreciate you giving me the benefit of your experience.
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Evan said:

I’ll try a different washer as you suggest and also check that the arm isn’t getting loose again. 

If it is working loose, you can get thread lock to keep it in place - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384008445492

Even if it isn't working loose, it's a handy addition to anybody's toolkit :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bod said:
    Evan said:

If it is working loose, you can get thread lock to keep it in place - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384008445492

Even if it isn't working loose, it's a handy addition to anybody's toolkit :)
    Excellent idea - thanks.
    Actually, I’ve just watched a YouTube video of a bloke (name of Nathan Sink) talking about this same issue and it seems to be down to the stock spring. He swapped it for a Reverend and that seemed to cure it. 

So it’s back in with the Reverend spring today then.
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 304
    I've got a Reverend guitar that's been in for a bit of work on the nut because of tuning issues, and the guy reckons the Bigsby isn't returning to pitch because of the Reverend soft spring. He's swapped it over for a stiffer one, so I'll see what it's like when I collect it tomorrow.
    nonesuch said:
    I've got a Reverend guitar that's been in for a bit of work on the nut because of tuning issues, and the guy reckons the Bigsby isn't returning to pitch because of the Reverend soft spring. He's swapped it over for a stiffer one, so I'll see what it's like when I collect it tomorrow.
    I had a similar situation...the Rev spring was more responsive...the stock spring was more positive. I believe it should 'break-in' a bit over time.

Important point: in general, Bigsby vibrato response is a more gentle experience than with other systems...that doesn't mean you can't be extreme with it...but it's a different beast.
    I’ve put the Reverend one back in and the “sponginess” has disappeared, the arm sits higher (better) and it feels better. I’ve also put in a stiffer washer. 

I hope that tech is wrong about the Reverend causing tuning issues.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Evan said:
    I’ve put the Reverend one back in and the “sponginess” has disappeared, the arm sits higher (better) and it feels better. I’ve also put in a stiffer washer. 

It won't be the softer spring causing return to pitch issues... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Evan said:

Nice one...if it's working, it's working ;)

The Reverend might not have been helping when combined with other factors: badly cut nut, non-straight string pull (should be okay on a Tele!), break angle over the saddles, etc.
    Thanks for  all the help you lot. 

What would we do without all these irritating problems to solve?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Take the Bigsby arm nut to a hardware store and get a nylock replacment. Nip it up to where you like it, it won’t move again. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    I hate any play in a Bigsby arm, ruins the experience for me. I like them nipped up nice and tight, and the arm staying exactly where I want it. Rigid.  

I have a beautiful Jazzmaster, really loved it. Pickups were fab, neck was ace, played beautifully, was almost perfect.  I had to sell it because of the tremolo. There was a fraction of a millimetre of travel in the arm before it performed any kind of wiggle.  Then there was a slick click where the arm engaged. That tiny amount of slack and the click I could feel ruined the whole guitar for me. 

I’m weird. I know.  

I have a Jazzblaster now, but came to me minus the arm.  And no arm I’ve found fits the hole.  Having a trem I can’t use is almost as infuriating as having one that clicks. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Evan said:

I did tighten that a couple of days ago and I thought it improved things. Would it loosen again so quickly?
    It can if it’s like the one in the pic. The nut should be a self-locking type, either a Nylock or a split-crown metal one, or there should be two nuts do you can lock them against each other.

I do find soft springs cause more tuning problems too, although it’s not the main factor. I’ve never liked them and don’t understand the attraction… I’ve made replacements from cut-down air rifle springs in the past - stiffer than any standard Bigsby spring, and much more positive in feel and return to pitch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Evan said:

It can if it’s like the one in the pic. The nut should be a self-locking type, either a Nylock or a split-crown metal one, or there should be two nuts do you can lock them against each other.

I do find soft springs cause more tuning problems too, although it’s not the main factor. I’ve never liked them and don’t understand the attraction… I’ve made replacements from cut-down air rifle springs in the past - stiffer than any standard Bigsby spring, and much more positive in feel and return to pitch.
    It’s that bit of very little happening for the first few millimetres of arm travel that bothered me, not the stiffness so much. Point taken about the nut.
    TheMarlin said:
    I hate any play in a Bigsby arm, ruins the experience for me. I like them nipped up nice and tight, and the arm staying exactly where I want it. Rigid.  

I have a beautiful Jazzmaster, really loved it. Pickups were fab, neck was ace, played beautifully, was almost perfect.  I had to sell it because of the tremolo. There was a fraction of a millimetre of travel in the arm before it performed any kind of wiggle.  Then there was a slick click where the arm engaged. That tiny amount of slack and the click I could feel ruined the whole guitar for me. 

I’m weird. I know.  

I have a Jazzblaster now, but came to me minus the arm.  And no arm I’ve found fits the hole.  Having a trem I can’t use is almost as infuriating as having one that clicks. 
    I can recommend a therapist for that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    TheMarlin said:

I’m weird. I know.  

Thats where a Staytrem arm and collet comes in for the offset trem system - it solves that issue once and for all.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.