NGD: PJE Macon

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    Ooh, that binding's so tidy!  I really like PJE guitars, the design philosophy, choice of components etc, but I'm not sure I'll ever persuade myself to spend quite that much money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hotshot1999Hotshot1999 Frets: 26
    What a beautiful looking guitar. Stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9304
    Best singlecut I’ve ever played. Mine resides with my bandmate who is a lp player, but every single detail was a work of art. The inlays look superb, headstock is better in person and the slipper joint to give better upper fret access is art in itself.
    Mine had the whiskerbucker pickups, which are rather special too
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Philly_Q said:
    Ooh, that binding's so tidy!  
    you should see my maple.......................   ooh er mrs

=)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    chris78 said:
    the slipper joint to give better upper fret access is art in itself.
    I keep looking at the neck joint on my Junior. Such a beautiful little detail
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    That's stunning, congrats. The headstock doesn't bother me in the slightest either.
  • Those inlays are wonderful! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    bertie said:
    Philly_Q said:

=)
    Your Morgan looks great, but (no offence) it is very blingy.  The PJE is, dare I say, a little more subtle.
    edited May 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    bertie said:
    Philly_Q said:

Your Morgan looks great, but (no offence) it is very blingy.  The PJE is, dare I say, a little more subtle.
    oh for sure - but neck binding is as good tho   ................. and probably 1/2 the price :) 

and both have "faux" body binding" -  which makes its sound "bad" but you have to get the body/cap "join" spot on to do it,  
  • zerolightzerolight Frets: 85
    edited May 2022
    What I like about the maple binding is that it’s nicely rounded with rolled edges. My R9 and Santana Retro both had plastic binding that had quite a defined edge that wasn’t so comfy. I like the look of a bound neck on a LP style guitar, and I really like the feel of the shoulder and edges on Pat’s neck. 
    edited May 2022
    zerolight said:
    What I like about the maple binding is that it’s nicely rounded with rolled edges. 
    indeed, I did notice that - like years of being nicely "played in" , that and the very nicely finished frets - looks very "comfy"
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Best colour.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    zerolight said:
    What I like about the maple binding is that it’s nicely rounded with rolled edges. My R9 and Santana Retro both had plastic binding that had quite a defined edge that wasn’t so comfy. I like the look of a bound neck on a LP style guitar, and I really like the feel of the shoulder and edges on Pat’s neck. 
    Easily fixed with a bit of emery paper.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • That's stunning!!! Those inlays are awesome
    mrkb said:
    zerolight said:
    Easily fixed with a bit of emery paper.
    Yeah I did that to mine. But it’s not the same - that really just takes the sharp edge away. These feel quite heavily rolled, like the Suhr PT guitar. But yes, I’m sure you can make the edges of any guitar suit you - this just felt nice out of the box. As did my Strat at a fraction of the price. Not so much the R9 or several PRS. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    zerolight said:
    One thing you might want to careful of if you are particular about the looks is the maple binding on the neck can get dirty and discolour pretty easily as its largely just oiled/wax finished.

After some heavy recording and gigging on my Macon it is discoloured in some of the common chord positions I use. I guess it looks quite cool to some.

Collings said:
    zerolight said:
    One thing you might want to careful of if you are particular about the looks is the maple binding on the neck can get dirty and discolour pretty easily as its largely just oiled/wax finished.

After some heavy recording and gigging on my Macon it is discoloured in some of the common chord positions I use. I guess it looks quite cool to some.

I can definitely see that being a problem.
    zerolight said:
    Collings said:
    zerolight said:

I can definitely see that being a problem.
    my rings are more discoloured than my bindings oddly enough (I actually have it on two)   as they were "oiled" before
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11647
    bertie said:
    my rings are more discoloured than my bindings oddly enough (I actually have it on two)   as they were "oiled" before
    Oooh-err.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022