Is this a genuine Ibanez genesis RG550 on eBay

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4147
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294997020821?hash=item44af315095:g:dZsAAOSwyoViikIG

Seems like a good price  I’m a bit wary though as there are Chinese copies about
  and £750 is a lot to spend on a fake ,especially when you can’t afford it ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited May 2022
    compared to this..

The lower horn looks "wrong"..  it looks look to bevel out as wide as the main body, unlike the official pictures..

But on other pictures it looks right..  could just be photo angles..

I'm no expert but as ever, proceed with caution...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11625
    "...replicate the 80s hot prodded style."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Grabs spare Ibanez Edge vibrato bridge from parts drawer.

The legend Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents should be embossed across the top of the bridge, next to the fine tuner wheels. This catches the light, even on a black anodised finish. I cannot make it out in the eBay photographs. I suggest that you ask the seller for more photographs of vibrato.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4147
    Thanks guys , you really know your stuff ,appreciate it 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I can't see anything that doesn't look right. It's extremely well-made, much better than I would expect for any Chinese copy.

Very cool guitar - just unusual in being priced realistically, unlike most other Ebay sellers with customised guitars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    I'm with ICBM. It does look like the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys 
    Thanks guys am appreciating the input have sent him some questions about close up of bridge and if he has any of the stuff that came with it 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    TIL - people buy guitars unseen from eBay.
    I had to look up TIL 
      My nearest shops don’t have any in and I find it difficult getting there due to nausea problems travelling 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'd say it's genuine, the heel joint isnt used much at all so if the serial number is ok, then happy days.

I'd ask to see the back of the headstock as I think if there's already a serial number on the heel, they didn't print anything on the head stock... And looks like there may be something there. Looks like a prestige neck thou 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Looks exactly like my Genesis (except mine is Purple!!) - heel joint is right, serial number of some sort on the neck plate and a completely different serial number type of thing on the rear of the headstock in a silvery type finish.

And contrary to @FunkFingers comments about the Floyd - mine has no embossing on it whatsoever... 
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Jetfire said:
    I'd ask to see the back of the headstock as I think if there's already a serial number on the heel, they didn't print anything on the head stock... And looks like there may be something there. Looks like a prestige neck thou 
    Looks like a CE Sticker

Ian
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited May 2022
    I had one and I'm pretty sure nothing was embossed on the bridge and there's nothing embossed on the yellow guitar above either. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    It looks genuine to me but I'm no expert on Ibanez... and I haven't seen any fakes so I don't know what the telltale signs would be.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047

The legend Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents should be embossed across the top of the bridge, next to the fine tuner wheels. This catches the light, even on a black anodised finish. I cannot make it out in the eBay photographs. I suggest that you ask the seller for more photographs of vibrato.
    I think new Edge trems no longer have the embossing as the patent ran out years ago.

looks real to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:

I think new Edge trems no longer have the embossing as the patent ran out years ago.

looks real to me!
    Correct - newer ones don't have that anymore 
    Guitar looks correct by the way to my eyes, although very "personalised" and is there any damage hidden by stickers?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    +1 for genuine but you can get a new one for £50 more without any doubts or risk
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
    Svennn said:
    +1 for genuine but you can get a new one for £50 more without any doubts or risk
    @Svennn , I’m actually thinking it would be nice to have a new one the close up he posted of the bridge looks all covered in dog hairs and stuff .
  • SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    If you were the only bidder and got it for 500 notes that's probably worth considering but its actually 770 buy it now when you add shipping so only 30 more for a brand spanker if you shop around.

Two ifs here but 1. you are not set on yellow and 2. you risk buying from Sweden I reckon this is a better shout than the ebay one
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/48568527-ibanez-rg-series-1992?utm_campaign=INTL-GB-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

I didn't even search, it just popped up on google when I checked where they are at new

All I can say for sure is everyone should have an RG in their life

9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood